Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mumstheword
    • By Mumstheword 4th Feb 19, 8:28 PM
    • 3,706Posts
    • 1,733Thanks
    Mumstheword
    Email telling me I'd requested a new password
    • 4th Feb 19, 8:28 PM
    Email telling me I'd requested a new password 4th Feb 19 at 8:28 PM
    Hi, I had an email tonight to say I'd requested a password change, then another email with a new password.

I didn't request these.

Has anyone else had any issues?

I've now changed the pw and email to update security.

There is another user called mumstheword (all lower case)... Perhaps she tried logging in using a capital?!
    *** Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly ***

If I don't reply to you, I haven't looked back at the thread.....PM me
Page 1
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 5th Feb 19, 1:03 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    wavelets
    • 5th Feb 19, 1:03 PM
    • 5th Feb 19, 1:03 PM
    I believe there have been several hacked MSE user accounts recently.

In the circumstances you describe, I believe whoever requested the password change must have gained access to your MSE account (i.e. known your existing password)

(If someone, e.g. the person with a similar user name, was innocently/erroneously trying to access your account without logging in, I think you would have received a different email explaining how to change the password first)

Fortunately, you were informed to your email address the new password the hacker had set, so that you could still access your MSE user account.

You were correct to go in and change the password again to prevent further unauthorised access. Changing the email address associated with the user account was probably unnecessary unless you believe someone else also has gained access to that, but it's an extra level of security as the hacker would have been able to see the email address previously associated with your user account.

Can I ask, do you ever access MSE using a shared device? Maybe a computer at work, or a public library, etc?
    Last edited by wavelets; 05-02-2019 at 1:09 PM.
    • MSE Tine
    • By MSE Tine 8th Feb 19, 3:43 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    MSE Tine
    • 8th Feb 19, 3:43 PM
    • 8th Feb 19, 3:43 PM
    Hi Mumstheword,

The messages you describe are auto-generated by our systems if someone is trying to log in as you and tries to reset your password. It's a standard "forgotten password" protocol. It does not mean anyone has gained access to your account, but likely that someone either with a similar name or who thinks they may have registered with that username have requested a password reset.

If you are concerned please send a ticket to us at forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com with the details from the messages you received and we can look into it further.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 8th Feb 19, 4:49 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    wavelets
    • 8th Feb 19, 4:49 PM
    • 8th Feb 19, 4:49 PM
    Hi Mumstheword,

The messages you describe are auto-generated by our systems if someone is trying to log in as you and tries to reset your password. It's a standard "forgotten password" protocol. It does not mean anyone has gained access to your account, but likely that someone either with a similar name or who thinks they may have registered with that username have requested a password reset.

If you are concerned please send a ticket to us at forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com with the details from the messages you received and we can look into it further.
    Originally posted by MSE Tine
    But wouldn't whoever requested the password reset need the OP's email address for a forgotten password ??
    Hence my conclusion reached in post#2

Or is there another method one can apply for a new MSE password?

Oh, the mischief people could get up to if all they need is your MSE User ID to reset your password.
    Last edited by wavelets; 08-02-2019 at 6:00 PM. Reason: Question simplified
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,116Posts Today

4,098Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin