Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 25th Jan 18, 5:58 PM
    • 4,197Posts
    • 7,525Thanks
    Smodlet
    Prolific Academic Survey Alerts
    • 25th Jan 18, 5:58 PM
    Prolific Academic Survey Alerts 25th Jan 18 at 5:58 PM
    Here we go again.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
Page 142
    • mikep22
    • By mikep22 5th Feb 19, 3:45 PM
    • 964 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    mikep22
    Share your prior sarcastic tweets
    Hosted by Silviu Oprea
    £0.70
    5 minutes
    £8.40/hr
    197 places remaining
    Originally posted by Chrisv
    I think I might refrain from this
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308
    • Chrisv
    • By Chrisv 5th Feb 19, 4:28 PM
    • 4,574 Posts
    • 79,384 Thanks
    Chrisv
    I think I might refrain from this
    Originally posted by mikep22
    I didn't go there either
    Not wanting something is as good as possessing it – Donald Horban
    • little_green
    • By little_green 5th Feb 19, 5:06 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    little_green
    Not every survey will show to everyone. I havent had one today.

Its unwise to check "every 5 minutes" or whatever timeframe you wise to use. If you have a browser open, I would have a tab with prolific open and it automatically refreshes while you are doing other things. The Chrome assistant also helps. If you are checking every 5,10,15 minutes you are reducing your chances of obtaining a survey massively.
    does it auto refresh using chrome on mobile though? I refresh about every 30 mins on mobile. cant access pc during the day
    • Miró
    • By Miró 5th Feb 19, 6:14 PM
    • 5,868 Posts
    • 25,478 Thanks
    Miró
    Hi there

Is anyone doing the 'Leader Chat Study' for Clemens Aichholzer? They are supposed to send an email with a link to download an app to play a game. Been waiting an hour for the email....no show yet!!
    Remember how far you have come not how far you have to go
    • mikep22
    • By mikep22 5th Feb 19, 7:15 PM
    • 964 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    mikep22
    Hi there

Is anyone doing the 'Leader Chat Study' for Clemens Aichholzer? They are supposed to send an email with a link to download an app to play a game. Been waiting an hour for the email....no show yet!!
    Originally posted by Mir!
    I had mine within 5 minutes, played game (properly dull) finished, no issues.

In other news...

Hosted by Silviu Oprea
    £0.70
    5 minutes
    £8.40/hr
    118 places remaining

Could be interesting. Though I dont really tweet so...
    • mikep22
    • By mikep22 5th Feb 19, 7:24 PM
    • 964 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    mikep22

In other news...

Hosted by Silviu Oprea
    £0.70
    5 minutes
    £8.40/hr
    118 places remaining

I found one about me saying how John Terry was such a nice chap, after he had just got sent off
    • olliebean
    • By olliebean 6th Feb 19, 1:10 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    olliebean
    Hosted by Silviu Oprea
    £0.70
    5 minutes
    £8.40/hr
    197 places remaining
    Originally posted by Chrisv

Trouble is I tend to post images or retweets along with sarcastic comments about them; the study specifies the sarcasm shouldn't depend on a retweet or an image, so it took me some time to find a suitable one. Somewhat less than £8.40/hour by the time I'd finished.

• silvercar
    • By silvercar 6th Feb 19, 1:13 PM
    • 38,656 Posts
    • 161,726 Thanks
    silvercar
    I've never posted a sarcastic tweet, so withdrew from the survey.
    • mikep22
    • By mikep22 6th Feb 19, 1:28 PM
    • 964 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    mikep22
    does it auto refresh using chrome on mobile though? I refresh about every 30 mins on mobile. cant access pc during the day
    Originally posted by little_green
    Given how few surveys say they are suitable for mobile, I would avoid doing this.
    • mikep22
    • By mikep22 6th Feb 19, 1:55 PM
    • 964 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    mikep22
    Social Issues in Academic and Family Environments - Desktop only!
    Hosted by Vasilena Stefanova
    £3.00
    30 minutes
    £6.00/hr
    46 places remaining
    • mikep22
    • By mikep22 6th Feb 19, 2:15 PM
    • 964 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    mikep22
    I've never posted a sarcastic tweet, so withdrew from the survey.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    You did yourself a disservice. They asked you to provide your most sarcastic tweet, then explain why you thought it was sarcastic. As this means different things to everyone you couldve justified anything here really.
    • little_green
    • By little_green 7th Feb 19, 9:16 AM
    • 111 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    little_green
    Given how few surveys say they are suitable for mobile, I would avoid doing this.
    Yes I am aware of that however surveys that can only be completed on pc still show as available on mobile you just can't actually do the survey. I have had NOTHING even show up since last Friday and that is checking via nmbith mobile and pc. I know it's sparse but to not have anything for a week seems very poor. Feeling a bit disappointed. There is no way I'm missing a lot of the surveys as I have the tab open regularly. As I say even on mobile device they would show as available whether you can compete then on mob device or not. Also I have email notifications for when a survey is available for me and have had no emails hence I know I haven't missed any.
    Last edited by little_green; 07-02-2019 at 9:19 AM.
    • mikep22
    • By mikep22 7th Feb 19, 1:11 PM
    • 964 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    mikep22
    Choose between two buttons
    Hosted by mail.huji.ac.il
    £1.2515 minutes £5.00/hr 9 places remaining

Good lord this was dull.
    • mikep22
    • By mikep22 7th Feb 19, 1:17 PM
    • 964 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    mikep22
    Yes I am aware of that however surveys that can only be completed on pc still show as available on mobile you just can't actually do the survey. I have had NOTHING even show up since last Friday and that is checking via nmbith mobile and pc. I know it's sparse but to not have anything for a week seems very poor. Feeling a bit disappointed. There is no way I'm missing a lot of the surveys as I have the tab open regularly. As I say even on mobile device they would show as available whether you can compete then on mob device or not. Also I have email notifications for when a survey is available for me and have had no emails hence I know I haven't missed any.
    Hmm. I have had 8 in that time. Well, 8 Ive completed, I have seen others pop up that I was unable to do.

The surveys will always pop up depending on your account as opposed to device you are currently on.

Getting email notifications for surveys is very rare, I get maybe one every couple of months.

Thing is you can say its poor or disappointing or whatever you like, but ultimately if researchers are not sending them to Prolific, theres not a great deal they can do. Remember its not a commercial site. I am fortunate in that I probably qualify for a higher % of surveys then others, as a guy in mid 30's - there will be fewer the older and younger you are.
    • Vintage67
    • By Vintage67 7th Feb 19, 1:47 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Vintage67

In other news...

Hosted by Silviu Oprea
    £0.70
    5 minutes
    £8.40/hr
    118 places remaining

There's a thread about that Twitter study on Prolific's Reddit page (www.reddit.com/r/ProlificAc/). PA have commented:

Hi everyone - we'd like to apologise for the presence of this study on Prolific yesterday. Indeed, studies requesting this kind of personally identifiable information are not permitted on our platform, and we informed the researcher of this as soon as we became aware (as well as taking the study down immediately).
    If you can report these problematic studies to our support team in future (support@prolific.ac), that will be the best way to ensure we are made aware and can take the necessary actions as quickly as possible. As for the apparent bug with re-appearing studies, our developers have been informed and are looking into the issue. I hope this helps to alleviate your concerns, and thank you for your continued support! -Zak
    • Mrs Soup
    • By Mrs Soup 7th Feb 19, 2:06 PM
    • 581 Posts
    • 1,103 Thanks
    Mrs Soup
    Social Issues in Academic and Family Environments - Desktop only!
    Hosted by Vasilena Stefanova
    £3.00
    30 minutes
    £6.00/hr
    46 places remaining
    I got that one as well Mike but I think we were part of a very small demographic given the glacial speed with which the number of available places decreased.
    • little_green
    • By little_green 7th Feb 19, 3:08 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    little_green
    Hmm. I have had 8 in that time. Well, 8 Ive completed, I have seen others pop up that I was unable to do.

The surveys will always pop up depending on your account as opposed to device you are currently on.

Getting email notifications for surveys is very rare, I get maybe one every couple of months.

Thing is you can say its poor or disappointing or whatever you like, but ultimately if researchers are not sending them to Prolific, theres not a great deal they can do. Remember its not a commercial site. I am fortunate in that I probably qualify for a higher % of surveys then others, as a guy in mid 30's - there will be fewer the older and younger you are.
    Ah i thought emailing was the norm as not long joined & received a few email alerts fro surveys but maybe was just due to being new.
    Strange you've had 8 & me 0 though I realize we probably meet different criteria. Just dont understand how I haven't had any in a week ...
    • Mrs Soup
    • By Mrs Soup 7th Feb 19, 6:32 PM
    • 581 Posts
    • 1,103 Thanks
    Mrs Soup
    Ah i thought emailing was the norm as not long joined & received a few email alerts fro surveys but maybe was just due to being new.
    Strange you've had 8 & me 0 though I realize we probably meet different criteria. Just dont understand how I haven't had any in a week ...

No hardly ever get emails. I've only had 4 this month and one of those was aimed very specifically at people who work in education. When I first started I could have seven studies in a day sometimes. Now if I get 7 in a week that is good.
    • mikep22
    • By mikep22 8th Feb 19, 8:44 AM
    • 964 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    mikep22
    Mood, memory, and attention III
    Hosted By: Oscar Kjell Available Places: 40
    Reward: 5.60 Reward /hr: 5.09
    Completion Time: 65 minutes

While I probably would have done this study if at home, and could even probably have done it at work - perusal of the first few questions have been like...60 minutes of this?? No thanks.
    • mikep22
    • By mikep22 8th Feb 19, 8:46 AM
    • 964 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    mikep22
    You probably have, but might not have been online to see them.

I've used the site for nearly 3 years and I literally do not close the tab, and have the Prolific Assistant open (a chrome extension) which helps. I might get a single figure number of surveys a year which require me to use my phone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,746Posts Today

7,848Users online

Martin's Twitter