Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • koru
    • By koru 20th Dec 17, 6:31 PM
    • 1,354Posts
    • 684Thanks
    koru
    0 WOW
    Best deals for heavy audiobook listeners
    • 20th Dec 17, 6:31 PM
    0 WOW
    Best deals for heavy audiobook listeners 20th Dec 17 at 6:31 PM
    I thought it might be worth starting a thread for people to discuss good long-term deals for audiobook download fans who (like me) get through several books a month. At a rate of, say, 50 books a year, you certainly don't want to be buying them individually, at £15-25 a pop, as that's £1000 per year!

I'll start with some things I've worked out for myself.

Local Library

The best deal of all is if your local library has an audiobook service available. Mine offers free use of Overdrive and BorrowBox, both of which have smartphone apps to download and play audiobooks. Most other libraries seem to offer this, but not all.

The main drawback is that they have limited selection, so you might not find everything you fancy listening to. However, I reckon these two services have 100-200 audiobooks that I want to read, so that should keep me going for a year or more.

The other drawback is that you often have to go on a wait list for popular books, but as you can reserve several at a time, I find I can line them up so they become available one by one.

Once I have exhausted the free library stuff, looks like I will have to pay to feed my habit. (There are some services that provide free audiobooks for out of copyright books, but I prefer to have professionally-produced audiobooks and I'm not interested in anything that is illegal.)

Audible

The dominant service seems to be Audible, so let's start there. They seem to have the widest selection. Their standard prices to buy one-off books are horrifying: probably an average of £20. But I reckon these are deliberately high, to try to push you into a subscription. For one credit (=1 book) a month, it is £7.99, which is much better. However, I go through at least a book per week.

Three free books for Amazon Prime members who take out a trial. Which is nice, while it lasts.

If I used Audible, I would probably go for their 24 books per year deal, which is £109.99, so £4.58 per book. Even that would only last me for maybe 4-5 months, but I believe that if you are on these subscriptions you can buy extra credits in batches of 3. I did find a link about this a while ago, and I think the price is about the same as the price per book under the subscription, although I can't find the link now, so I can't confirm.

I suppose I could always pay for a second Audible subscription, if necessary.

Sometimes, it is cheaper to buy the ebook on Kindle, then add Whispersync, rather than just buy the audiobook direct, but this is rarely cheaper than £4.58.

There are a few other tips on this webpage, which might help a bit, but they are not a full solution for a heavy user (and some of the ideas are not ones I would be comfortable with):
    http://bestfantasybooks.com/blog/the-ultimate-guide-to-audible-savings/
    Last edited by koru; 30-09-2018 at 3:14 PM.
    koru
Page 2
    • gfplux
    • By gfplux 27th Dec 18, 10:49 AM
    • 4,580 Posts
    • 4,006 Thanks
    gfplux
    Hi Koru,

No, you don't need to be a subscriber to buy the deal of the day books. I stopped subscribing over a year ago and still buy them every few days.

You can get them to email you with the daily deal. I've now listened to loads of books that I wouldn't have chanced at full price.

https://audible-uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6416
    Originally posted by Peter999
    I see it says sign up for the daily deal on the desktop site.
    I don't think I have woken up my desktop for six months. Have smart phone and an iPad.
    I am a new Audible member (Christmas present from my wife)
    Last edited by gfplux; 27-12-2018 at 10:52 AM.
    There will be no Brexit dividend. "Brexit Blight of Uncertainty" sums it all up.
    • robinsonkimberly
    • By robinsonkimberly 11th Jan 19, 1:01 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    robinsonkimberly
    I'm a user of Audible, I find it more easy to use. When it comes to price, yes it is not that cheap but what it offers to satisfy me. I've been using it since I started listening to the audiobook, I bought this audiobook The One Minute Manager and it runs here perfectly that makes me more satisfied.
    Last edited by robinsonkimberly; 11-01-2019 at 1:02 PM. Reason: Incomplete sentence
    • koru
    • By koru 11th Jan 19, 5:01 PM
    • 1,354 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    koru
    If I used Audible, I would probably go for their 24 books per year deal, which is £109.99, so £4.58 per book. Even that would only last me for maybe 4-5 months, but I believe that if you are on these subscriptions you can buy extra credits in batches of 3. I did find a link about this a while ago, and I think the price is about the same as the price per book under the subscription, although I can't find the link now, so I can't confirm.
    Originally posted by koru
    Apparently, it is £11 for 3 extra credits, if you are on the 24 books per year deal. So that is £3.66 per book. Which improves the competitiveness of Audible vs the other paid-for services.
    koru
    • gfplux
    • By gfplux 12th Jan 19, 7:53 AM
    • 4,580 Posts
    • 4,006 Thanks
    gfplux
    I finally managed to sign up for the daily deals and have received them every day for the last ten days.
    The “deal” price has been £2.99 showing some great “savings” as long it is something you want.
    Most have been self help books which may be a January thing. At my age help is too late self or otherwise.

Having listened to many audiobooks mostly free from library’s over the last few years I have my personal list of favourites. I have searched for books on Audible by some of those favourites and then found a couple of books I have not listened to at below my average annual audible 12 months contract price. That appears one way of bringing down the average price I will pay. In fact that is something I am going to track in 2019.
    There will be no Brexit dividend. "Brexit Blight of Uncertainty" sums it all up.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 12th Jan 19, 10:05 AM
    • 8,636 Posts
    • 6,406 Thanks
    esuhl
    "Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It" -- free with a trial:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/B004HGJJUK

Last edited by esuhl; 12-01-2019 at 10:08 AM.
    • koru
    • By koru 12th Jan 19, 10:29 AM
    • 1,354 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    koru
    ... and then found a couple of books I have not listened to at below my average annual audible 12 months contract price. That appears one way of bringing down the average price I will pay.
    Originally posted by gfplux
    If trying to decide whether to buy in cash or with credits, it would make sense to compare with the incremental price for credits, rather than the average (if there's a difference). I believe that on the low volume Audible plans you can buy an extra three credits on a one-off basis for £18, so £6 per credit. If that's cheaper than the cash price, it is the better choice.
    koru
    • koru
    • By koru 12th Jan 19, 10:46 AM
    • 1,354 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    koru
    "Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It" -- free with a trial:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/B004HGJJUK

Originally posted by esuhl
    I was about to post a slightly sarcastic reply saying that any book is available free, with a trial. Then I started wondering why you added the smiley and why you chose that book. Finally, it clicked!

Kind of difficult to phrase unambiguously. Best Deals for Heavy Listeners to Audiobooks is no better. Best Deals for Listeners to Heavy Audiobooks doesn't work.

I guess I should have gone for Best Deals for People Who Read a Lot of Audiobooks.

Ironically, audiobooks help me lose weight, because they help make long walks something I want to do.
    koru
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 12th Jan 19, 11:29 AM
    • 8,636 Posts
    • 6,406 Thanks
    esuhl
    I was about to post a slightly sarcastic reply saying that any book is available free, with a trial. Then I started wondering why you added the smiley and why you chose that book. Finally, it clicked!

Ha ha! I'm glad you got it. I love word puns!
    • koru
    • By koru 13th Jan 19, 11:38 AM
    • 1,354 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    koru
    Ha ha! I'm glad you got it. I love word puns!
    Originally posted by esuhl
    If you don't already listen to it, check out The News Quiz on Radio 4. Lots of newspaper clippings with similar amusing double meanings. (I usually scoff at the stupidity of the writer who did not spot it when they wrote it, but I've now learnt my lesson.)
    koru
    • gfplux
    • By gfplux 30th Jan 19, 8:55 AM
    • 4,580 Posts
    • 4,006 Thanks
    gfplux
    I now get an email every day with the “daily deal” During January there have mostly been self help books. As I am beyond help they do not interest me.
    However today the great book The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler at £1.99 12 hours of Phillip Marlow got me to spend the money.
    • joan1234
    • By joan1234 4th Feb 19, 5:08 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    joan1234
    Best Site to sign up to for Kids books ?
    Any advice on the best site to sign up with for kids books, would be much appreciated.
    Looking for The Diamond Brothers especially (Antony Horowitz)
    thanks in advance.
    • Peter999
    • By Peter999 4th Feb 19, 5:13 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    Peter999
    I now get an email every day with the “daily deal” During January there have mostly been self help books. As I am beyond help they do not interest me.
    However today the great book The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler at £1.99 12 hours of Phillip Marlow got me to spend the money.
    Originally posted by gfplux

Have to agree with you there. The daily deals in January have been beyond woeful - it's a real shame as up to the last few months the daily deals were very good.

When they changed the daily deals to members only they promised it would be even better than ever - don't think so.
    • gfplux
    • By gfplux 5th Feb 19, 9:34 AM
    • 4,580 Posts
    • 4,006 Thanks
    gfplux
    Any advice on the best site to sign up with for kids books, would be much appreciated.
    Looking for The Diamond Brothers especially (Antony Horowitz)
    thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by joan1234
    Have you tried your local library? I have used the Leicester library for many books and they have plenty of children’s audio and kindle books for free.
    Or the Gutenberg press have a huge library of the classics.
    https://www.gutenberg.org

And Librivox
    https://librivox.org
    Last edited by gfplux; 05-02-2019 at 9:37 AM.
    • gfplux
    • By gfplux 18th Feb 19, 8:18 AM
    • 4,580 Posts
    • 4,006 Thanks
    gfplux
    Today’s daily deal is a Wilber Smith novel Courtney’s War for £1.99
    I read some Wilber Smith Perhaps 30 years ago so I have fallen to temptation today.
    I hope I have not thrown £1.99 on the floor.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

92Posts Today

2,875Users online

Martin's Twitter