Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: What do you think of the new look forum

Love It

1.94% • 9 votes

Not bothered

4.97% • 23 votes

Hate it, please make it stop

93.09% • 431 votes

You may not vote on this poll

463 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • DTDfanBoy
    • By DTDfanBoy 24th Mar 15, 1:57 PM
    • 1,676Posts
    • 2,736Thanks
    DTDfanBoy
    Poll : What do you think of the NEW LOOK MSE
    • 24th Mar 15, 1:57 PM
    Poll : What do you think of the NEW LOOK MSE 24th Mar 15 at 1:57 PM
    I'd be interested to see how many like the NEW LOOK MSE
    Last edited by DTDfanBoy; 24-03-2015 at 2:01 PM.
Page 3
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 24th Mar 15, 3:04 PM
    • 5,353 Posts
    • 6,045 Thanks
    lovinituk
    I want to be able to read pages easily. The new layout in all its daz-ly whiteness makes it impossible to distinguish at a glance.
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    As I just posted above - so are most of the modern websites! Is this the only website you ever use? I bet you use mainly white websites all the time but you just don't notice it.

I run a very successful ecommerce website that has the modern white style and have had endless positive feedback about its look.
    • smulx
    • By smulx 24th Mar 15, 3:11 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    smulx
    Yes a lot of websites are white. But on sites like ebay you're generally not reading a lot of text. Even reading through this thread is straining my eyes. Other forums I use usually have the option of using a darker theme which I always opt for.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 24th Mar 15, 3:11 PM
    • 34,531 Posts
    • 40,585 Thanks
    Browntoa
    I've changed the format in my control panel to classic skin......
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 24th Mar 15, 3:13 PM
    • 5,353 Posts
    • 6,045 Thanks
    lovinituk
    But on sites like ebay you're generally not reading a lot of text.
    Originally posted by smulx
    You sound like one of the many customers who then complain that the item isn't what they expected despite there being a very detailed text description presented to them on the listing!!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 24th Mar 15, 3:14 PM
    • 8,759 Posts
    • 28,290 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I just got the bright new sign-on & the restful green once I'd tagged in. Which I can cope with. If the bright replaces the green, I'll have to tweak my monitor pretty heavily.
    iphone hasn't realised yet, thank goodness.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 24th Mar 15, 3:25 PM
    • 13,183 Posts
    • 10,523 Thanks
    unholyangel
    As I just posted above - so are most of the modern websites! Is this the only website you ever use? I bet you use mainly white websites all the time but you just don't notice it.

I run a very successful ecommerce website that has the modern white style and have had endless positive feedback about its look.
    Originally posted by lovinituk
    White background yes. But everything is not 50 shades of white. Theres contrasting colours - in images, headers, text.

There needs to be distinction or it all just blends into one big mess!
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • an1179
    • By an1179 24th Mar 15, 3:28 PM
    • 1,740 Posts
    • 17,091 Thanks
    an1179
    Cannot find my user cp
    • Mrs Bones
    • By Mrs Bones 24th Mar 15, 3:28 PM
    • 14,082 Posts
    • 56,187 Thanks
    Mrs Bones
    What glennamy just posted above is so true. It happens regularly on Facebook when they make changes. Literally millions of people complain about the new look but are still using it days/months/years later. Then they get used it and complain again about the next change. Its human nature to dislike change but some people cope better than others. After all, its only a forum - nobody has been hurt or killed over it!

Most of the people complaining now will still be here in months/years to come.
    Not those of us who the new look physically made us feel ill and sick. I've complained about the new look BBC but at least that hasn't made me feel queasy and ill in the same way this new MSE look did after a short time of use.

I'll get use to the BBC and continue to use it. I can't continue to use MSE if it makes me ill, that's not a choice of getting use to a new look it's a forced choice on health grounds.
    I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. ~ Maya Angelou
    • jackieb
    • By jackieb 24th Mar 15, 3:42 PM
    • 26,981 Posts
    • 78,788 Thanks
    jackieb
    I used it for weeks and never got used to it. I think I hated it more the longer I had to use it! I did try and persevere as I know change can be difficult, but I can never get used to something that is awful.
    • scarlet55
    • By scarlet55 24th Mar 15, 3:44 PM
    • 21,102 Posts
    • 66,476 Thanks
    scarlet55
    Yes a lot of websites are white. But on sites like ebay you're generally not reading a lot of text. Even reading through this thread is straining my eyes. Other forums I use usually have the option of using a darker theme which I always opt for.
    Originally posted by smulx

I think MSE should give members the option too, either stay with the old version, or the new one. why should we be made to use the new one when it's obvious that so many hate it.

And for those of you saying you can't understand why it gives us a headache, many members, including me, have problems with our eyes which the brightness aggravates.
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 24th Mar 15, 3:46 PM
    • 5,353 Posts
    • 6,045 Thanks
    lovinituk
    White background yes. But everything is not 50 shades of white. Theres contrasting colours - in images, headers, text.

There needs to be distinction or it all just blends into one big mess!
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    We must be looking at different websites!
    • SailorSam
    • By SailorSam 24th Mar 15, 3:49 PM
    • 21,173 Posts
    • 36,772 Thanks
    SailorSam
    There's a lot of threads all talking about the same thing ......
    The new forum design.
    I know i'm getting old and maybe a bit befuddled, but what's changed ?
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
    • pinkteapot
    • By pinkteapot 24th Mar 15, 3:55 PM
    • 6,309 Posts
    • 8,161 Thanks
    pinkteapot
    I'm so confused. Hasn't white always been the background colour for posts? The actual text of posts and replies - wasn't it always black on white?
    • A Phoenix of Tangerine
    • By A Phoenix of Tangerine 24th Mar 15, 3:57 PM
    • 866 Posts
    • 1,215 Thanks
    A Phoenix of Tangerine
    Don't understand - clicking the link to go back to using the old skin doesn't seem to do anything...
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 24th Mar 15, 3:57 PM
    • 13,183 Posts
    • 10,523 Thanks
    unholyangel
    We must be looking at different websites!
    I tried to take a screenshot but even on logging out and clearing cookies, I'm still getting the old style
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 24th Mar 15, 4:02 PM
    • 5,995 Posts
    • 65,137 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    When i go into my Settings it just says "subscribed threads (0)" and there is no sign of "Manage version" anywhere to be seen. I don't like this, too bright, hurts my eyes but I don't want to leave the friendss I've made on here!
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 24th Mar 15, 4:03 PM
    • 13,183 Posts
    • 10,523 Thanks
    unholyangel
    When i go into my Settings it just says "subscribed threads (0)" and there is no sign of "Manage version" anywhere to be seen. I don't like this, too bright, hurts my eyes but I don't want to leave the friendss I've made on here!
    Originally posted by ivyleaf
    Did you go to "full profile" and then "settings"?
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 24th Mar 15, 4:07 PM
    • 4,680 Posts
    • 4,092 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    I also cannot revert back, and I'm not a techno-dunce. 20+ years working in/around IT and running a number of forums means I should be able to manage something as simple as choosing a skin from a dropdown list.

And they've closed the feedback thread now as well. Handy.
    • Yolina
    • By Yolina 24th Mar 15, 4:09 PM
    • 2,213 Posts
    • 2,049 Thanks
    Yolina
    I seem to spend more time scrolling than I do reading with the new layout, so it's bye-bye MSE forum

Edit: and just as I posted that, it's magically reverted to the old layout (yay!) without me doing anything (I did click on the "old layout" thing earlier, but it wasn't doing anything - maybe that's been fixed?)
    Last edited by Yolina; 24-03-2015 at 4:12 PM.
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
    • FireWyrm
    • By FireWyrm 24th Mar 15, 4:12 PM
    • 6,422 Posts
    • 12,150 Thanks
    FireWyrm
    Oh thank heaven for that!!!

They changed it back again!. YAY.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

165Posts Today

1,529Users online

Martin's Twitter