Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: What do you think of the new look forum

Love It

1.94% • 9 votes

Not bothered

4.97% • 23 votes

Hate it, please make it stop

93.09% • 431 votes

You may not vote on this poll

463 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • DTDfanBoy
    • By DTDfanBoy 24th Mar 15, 1:57 PM
    • 1,676Posts
    • 2,736Thanks
    DTDfanBoy
    Poll : What do you think of the NEW LOOK MSE
    • 24th Mar 15, 1:57 PM
    Poll : What do you think of the NEW LOOK MSE 24th Mar 15 at 1:57 PM
    I'd be interested to see how many like the NEW LOOK MSE
    Last edited by DTDfanBoy; 24-03-2015 at 2:01 PM.
Page 2
    • ChumpusRex
    • By ChumpusRex 24th Mar 15, 2:38 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    ChumpusRex
    I can't find the option to vote on the new layout on mobile.

Maybe I'm being thick, or possibly the layout is broken
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 24th Mar 15, 2:38 PM
    • 5,353 Posts
    • 6,045 Thanks
    lovinituk
    I think a lot of people will

they'll be grateful of the new members and traffic
    by sax11
    ...and this forum will get along just fine with the never ending new people joining.

Cutting out the dead wood is never a bad thing
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 24th Mar 15, 2:39 PM
    • 13,183 Posts
    • 10,523 Thanks
    unholyangel
    For anyone hating it, they have now added the option to revert to the old one (however a MSE team member said "for now" so whether this will be removed later I dont know).

On left hand side there should be a portrait thing, click it and go to "full profile". Then over on the right hand side, click "settings". Now on the left side right down the bottom, there is an option for "version manager" click that and then select "old style"

** Actual words may vary slightly as I'm doing it from memory and I can't switch back to the old one to check as it gives me a migraine.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
  • wiogs
    Its gone all trendy twittery social media'ish Google minimalistic.... with white backing its too bright with lots of trendy nasty grey texts (I loath this trend). We don't all have a 17 year old's eyesight!!

They won't pull the plug on it because someone's put a lot of work or money into developing it so won't admit its a mistake. Not sure I will be bothering to come back.. to eye-straining!
    Originally posted by sillygoose
    There is no evidence of either of those things having happened
    • Auntycaz
    • By Auntycaz 24th Mar 15, 2:41 PM
    • 1,744 Posts
    • 31,255 Thanks
    Auntycaz
    I hated it. It was far too bright and made my head ache, but if you don't like it you can change it back. For the time being anyway.
    • glennamy
    • By glennamy 24th Mar 15, 2:44 PM
    • 1,948 Posts
    • 76,892 Thanks
    glennamy
    Hi, FWIW I just wanted to say that in my previous career that I use to roll out new IT systems & interfaces to users, and in approx. 90% of cases (instant feedback - day 1 - 2) people did not like the new layout, however over time, (usually - day 10) as the users got familiar with the layout that figure would reverse to approx. 90% ended up liking the new layout.

Please remember I am not saying anyone's opinion is wrong, but people are initially very much against 'change' and prefer 'familiarity'.

Be kind!
    Can't Smile Without You
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 24th Mar 15, 2:44 PM
    • 13,183 Posts
    • 10,523 Thanks
    unholyangel
    I voted love it! I genuinely like it!

Everyone is taking it all far too seriously! Its just like the complaining on Facebook every time they make a change! Then all those complainers get used to it and then complain again about the next change! Change happens peeps - get used to it! There are other forums you can go and use if you don't like it
    Originally posted by lovinituk
    I do understand there are those who like it.

But given most people seem to be saying the same thing (its giving them a headache after just a short time viewing it) I don't think thats something we're going to get used to

Forums are supposed to be user friendly. Given the magnitude of the hostile reactions not just today, but when they "piloted" the new layout some months ago and that the complaints are pretty much the same from every user....i'd suggest its not user friendly

Shooting yourself in the foot comes to mind.

A solution to keep everyone happy would be to allow customisation of colour scheme.
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 24th Mar 15, 2:45 PM
    • 5,353 Posts
    • 6,045 Thanks
    lovinituk
    Hi, FWIW I just wanted to say that in my previous career that I use to roll out new IT systems & interfaces to users, and in approx. 90% of cases (instant feedback - day 1 - 2) people did not like the new layout, however over time, (usually - day 10) as the users got familiar with the layout that figure would reverse to approx. 90% ended up liking the new layout.

Please remember I am not saying anyone's opinion is wrong, but people are initially very much against 'change' and prefer 'familiarity'.

Be kind!
    Originally posted by glennamy
    The voice of reason - well said glennamy.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 24th Mar 15, 2:47 PM
    • 30,847 Posts
    • 180,736 Thanks
    Karmacat
    ...and this forum will get along just fine with the never ending new people joining.

Cutting out the dead wood is never a bad thing
    Hmm. Thats pretty offensive. I understand there's jokes, I understand there's often a lot of complaining about newness - but there's a genuine issue here with the lack of colour, its hurting people's eyes. If that amuses you, possibly thats an indication of how the forum will end up, after the ones you're so dismissive of actually leave.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 24th Mar 15, 2:48 PM
    • 5,353 Posts
    • 6,045 Thanks
    lovinituk
    I do understand there are those who like it.

But given most people seem to be saying the same thing (its giving them a headache after just a short time viewing it) I don't think thats something we're going to get used to

Forums are supposed to be user friendly. Given the magnitude of the hostile reactions not just today, but when they "piloted" the new layout some months ago and that the complaints are pretty much the same from every user....i'd suggest its not user friendly

Shooting yourself in the foot comes to mind.
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    What glennamy just posted above is so true. It happens regularly on Facebook when they make changes. Literally millions of people complain about the new look but are still using it days/months/years later. Then they get used it and complain again about the next change. Its human nature to dislike change but some people cope better than others. After all, its only a forum - nobody has been hurt or killed over it!

Most of the people complaining now will still be here in months/years to come.
    • lovetowinacar
    • By lovetowinacar 24th Mar 15, 2:49 PM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 12,307 Thanks
    lovetowinacar
    It is awful, too bright and very difficult to read.
    • Double V
    • By Double V 24th Mar 15, 2:50 PM
    • 879 Posts
    • 517 Thanks
    Double V
    wow, 39 votes already, not a single likey!
    Originally posted by brightonman123
    That surely tells something.
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 24th Mar 15, 2:52 PM
    • 5,353 Posts
    • 6,045 Thanks
    lovinituk
    Hmm. Thats pretty offensive. I understand there's jokes, I understand there's often a lot of complaining about newness - but there's a genuine issue here with the lack of colour, its hurting people's eyes. If that amuses you, possibly thats an indication of how the forum will end up, after the ones you're so dismissive of actually leave.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    I really couldn't care less who stays or goes. The simple fact is that most people will get used it and will forget about the old green version. Its been proved time and time again that is what happens when changes like this happen. I'm sure MSE took that in to account. A few people leaving because they really can't cope with it, or leaving just out of spite, will make no difference to the bigger picture.

Many of you seem to forget that MSE is a business and not a charity catering for everyones whims. A bit of collateral damage will be acceptable whether you like or not.

Sorry but thems the truths!!
    • emella
    • By emella 24th Mar 15, 2:53 PM
    • 6,061 Posts
    • 1,062,622 Thanks
    emella
    I was already getting a bit used to it. I can deal with the change if it's really necessary, I'll still use the site as long as it's easy enough to use still. I think the new one needs scaling down though; the good thing about the old one is that everything is relatively small and compact, and so it's very easy and comfortable to navigate around. And you can SEE everything clearly. New one is very bulky and very bright!
    • FireWyrm
    • By FireWyrm 24th Mar 15, 2:55 PM
    • 6,422 Posts
    • 12,150 Thanks
    FireWyrm
    For anyone hating it, they have now added the option to revert to the old one (however a MSE team member said "for now" so whether this will be removed later I dont know).

On left hand side there should be a portrait thing, click it and go to "full profile". Then over on the right hand side, click "settings". Now on the left side right down the bottom, there is an option for "version manager" click that and then select "old style"

** Actual words may vary slightly as I'm doing it from memory and I can't switch back to the old one to check as it gives me a migraine.
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    I cant find the version manager...apparently, it isnt in my profile manager. I hate this new version and I'll be leaving if they dont fix it.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
    • Mrs Bones
    • By Mrs Bones 24th Mar 15, 2:56 PM
    • 14,082 Posts
    • 56,187 Thanks
    Mrs Bones
    I've just managed to change back to the old style via user cp but if it changes again to the new permanently I'll have to leave the forum it was literally making me feel ill and sick, even now I'm still feeling a bit queasy from looking at it for a little while.
    I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. ~ Maya Angelou
  • wiogs
    What glennamy just posted above is so true. It happens regularly on Facebook when they make changes. Literally millions of people complain about the new look but are still using it days/months/years later. Then they get used it and complain again about the next change. Its human nature to dislike change but some people cope better than others. After all, its only a forum - nobody has been hurt or killed over it!

Very probably true, however that doesn't mean that those who are complaining do not have genuine concerns.

For me the usability of the forum has decreased greatly and the overall look appears to waste a great deal of space.

Which is why this is my last post and indeed visit to these forums.

• spidystrider
    • By spidystrider 24th Mar 15, 2:58 PM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 1,582 Thanks
    spidystrider
    The only reason I am complaining is, I simply can't use it. My eyes are sore and I'm getting a headache. There are loads of other things I hate i.e. the size of the avatars, the fact that there is no drop down box to show you your subscribed to threads, you can't see all the signature box anymore. I could go on, but the worst thing is the effect it's having on my eyes. I won't be using the forum if it's staying this way, which is a shame because I've been here for years and love this forum.
    Mortgage Free in 3-T2 : Started at 151,000 Nov. 2009 Mortgage Free Oct 1st 2015
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 24th Mar 15, 2:59 PM
    • 13,183 Posts
    • 10,523 Thanks
    unholyangel

But theres a difference between not liking the changes and actually experiencing adverse affects physically from it.

I'm hesitant of change but I'll always give it a chance as I know sometimes it just takes getting used to. Windows 8 being a prime example (I still hate vista though ), I actually really like windows 8 now and faster once you get used to the shortcuts etc.

And despite that and despite me loving MSE, this is genuinely something that would make me stop using the site.

I want to be able to read pages easily. The new layout in all its daz-ly whiteness makes it impossible to distinguish at a glance.

Like I said, I'm not adverse to change. And imo a suitable work around would be allowing people to choose between different styles. Doesnt need to be majorly different, just a bit more contrast in colours to make it easier to use.
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 24th Mar 15, 3:02 PM
    • 5,353 Posts
    • 6,045 Thanks
    lovinituk
    I don't understand the people saying it makes them feel sick and dizzy? This is pretty much the modern look and feel of many websites! Do you not use other websites? Just look at eBay and Amazon for example. All the other forums I use regularly changed to similar styles long ago.

Genuine concerns or not, the change will be permanent at some point. Whether its now or later, the change will happen. The old green style is like something out of the 90's and is not the image a modern growing business will want to keep for much longer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

153Posts Today

1,594Users online

Martin's Twitter