Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MikeR71
    • By MikeR71 19th Nov 11, 7:37 AM
    • 3,691Posts
    • 4,366Thanks
    MikeR71
    Appen Butler-Hill
    • 19th Nov 11, 7:37 AM
    Appen Butler-Hill 19th Nov 11 at 7:37 AM
    A while back I signed up to Butler Hill for possible internet work with them. They have just contacted me with an offer for crowd-sourcing job and want my details including bank details for the HR department.

I know I signed up and all that but my question is is this safe? Shall I give them my details? Has anyone any experience with them?

Thanks
Page 64
    • wesleyad
    • By wesleyad 5th Nov 18, 5:09 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    wesleyad
    Yeah if you do work for them on 1st of the month you might not see that in your bank until 15th of the next month as they pay (for most projects) for the entire month 2 weeks into the next. Been with them 5 years now, never had a problem.
    • timefortea
    • By timefortea 8th Nov 18, 11:39 AM
    • 297 Posts
    • 415 Thanks
    timefortea
    I'm working on the project to transcribe those fifteen minute phone calls and I've been getting paid every fortnight on a Thursday for work completed by the previous Friday. If those recording the calls are being paid on the same schedule I'd expect you to get paid on 22 November (today is my payday, but if you only did the work a couple of days ago you'll have missed the previous Friday cut off).
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 8th Nov 18, 11:43 AM
    • 777 Posts
    • 2,343 Thanks
    SSDD23
    I've applied for quite a few different things, one I eventually got told was full and now stuck on the qualifying part and "we'll be in touch" for the other 3 projects. Hoping to be accepted for something soon
    "The harder you work for something, the greater you’ll feel when you achieve it"
    • Robinette
    • By Robinette 10th Nov 18, 7:38 AM
    • 207 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    Robinette
    Appen is still recruiting for the voice recognition project paying $50 - see the referrals thread for links.
    • tarloweh
    • By tarloweh 17th Nov 18, 12:00 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    tarloweh
    Anyone noticed the reduction in work for project Yukon? i used to be able to get 10hrs/week without a problem but now i'm struggling to reach even that. Is there a specific time when tasks drop now? i work between 4-10pm weekdays.
    • algordon24
    • By algordon24 2nd Feb 19, 11:21 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    algordon24
    Hi folks,

Which of the following projects offers most hours? Nile. Saluda. Tigris. Yukon. Truckee.
    • eleda3
    • By eleda3 6th Feb 19, 9:06 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    eleda3
    Appen stopped replying?
    I applied for a position with Appen before Christmas (British Language Expert, which I think translates to 'transcriptionist'!) and received an offer, which I accepted. I then heard from one of their representatives saying the project manager would be in touch. That was at the start of January and I haven't heard anything since. I've emailed the representative twice trying to figure out what's going on, but haven't heard back. Has anyone else had this?
    • wesleyad
    • By wesleyad 6th Feb 19, 9:24 AM
    • 464 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    wesleyad
    I applied for a position with Appen before Christmas (British Language Expert, which I think translates to 'transcriptionist'!) and received an offer, which I accepted. I then heard from one of their representatives saying the project manager would be in touch. That was at the start of January and I haven't heard anything since. I've emailed the representative twice trying to figure out what's going on, but haven't heard back. Has anyone else had this?
    Originally posted by eleda3
    In general the way Appen and others work, is they get a few people on the books and then when a spot opens up on a project they will contact you. The problem can be, sometimes this takes a long time depending on how many projects they have running and if people are leaving etc.

I've been with them around 7 years now and have had one large gap of 5 months between projects. It might be worth applying for the other jobs if they are available (the best one is normally web search evaluator as this gets you into loads of other projects)
    • eleda3
    • By eleda3 6th Feb 19, 3:34 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    eleda3
    Thanks for your reply! I was hoping it would be something like this. Still a little frustrating they couldn't reply, but what can you do! I had been planning on applying for another project but wanted to suss out how usual the radio silence was in case it would be worth trying a different company instead.

Thanks again!
    • wesleyad
    • By wesleyad 7th Feb 19, 8:09 AM
    • 464 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    wesleyad
    Thanks for your reply! I was hoping it would be something like this. Still a little frustrating they couldn't reply, but what can you do! I had been planning on applying for another project but wanted to suss out how usual the radio silence was in case it would be worth trying a different company instead.

Thanks again!
    I'd agree, I think its worth trying a few companies. Lionbridge are similar. Leapforce used to be one, but got bought out by Appen.
    • eleda3
    • By eleda3 11th Feb 19, 10:42 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    eleda3
    Can you work for Lionbridge at the same time as Appen?

I've now applied for the web search evaluator position and got an email saying, basically, 'thank you for your interest again'. Not sure if it's in response to my emails about the first position or this new one. They say they will contact me if a space comes up that matches my skills. Is this basically a rejection? I would think that if they were really considering me for a position they would want to go through the assessment first, which they haven't done. Why would I be waiting to fill a position when I haven't even taken an assessment?
    • wesleyad
    • By wesleyad 11th Feb 19, 10:09 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    wesleyad
    Can you work for Lionbridge at the same time as Appen?

I've now applied for the web search evaluator position and got an email saying, basically, 'thank you for your interest again'. Not sure if it's in response to my emails about the first position or this new one. They say they will contact me if a space comes up that matches my skills. Is this basically a rejection? I would think that if they were really considering me for a position they would want to go through the assessment first, which they haven't done. Why would I be waiting to fill a position when I haven't even taken an assessment?
    No you cant work simultaneously for them both, but you can be on both their books to increase your chances (I still get emails from Lionbridge after 7 years).

Its hard to say regarding the email and assessments. Before you start a project you will be given guidelines and then take a few exams, depending on project this can be up to 20-30 hours of work. So they probably wont really bother assessing you until that point as its too much to ask.

Basically this is one of those things you just have to apply and then forget about, and maybe in a month or two you get an invitation to a project.
    • freeoffers
    • By freeoffers 8th Apr 19, 4:23 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 1,125 Thanks
    freeoffers

Basically this is one of those things you just have to apply and then forget about, and maybe in a month or two you get an invitation to a project.
    Originally posted by wesleyad
    Exactly. Only been with them 18 months but have had a ton of work and made some good money. But you have to wait for them to contact you. Just yesterday they added another project to my profile. The procedure is the same: they offer you a project, you read the guidelines and do the test and then they tell you if you're on it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

664Posts Today

5,759Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin