Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 29th Jan 19, 3:30 PM
    • 1,233Posts
    • 3,567Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    13 charity-shop bargain hunting tricks blog discussion
    • 29th Jan 19, 3:30 PM
    0 WOW
    13 charity-shop bargain hunting tricks blog discussion 29th Jan 19 at 3:30 PM
    'There's been a surge in donations to charity shops this month, with the 'Marie Kondo' effect at least partly responsible. Charities want you to take advantage - so we've rounded up our top tricks and tips to help you find the best items...'

Read MSE Jenny's full blog: '13 charity-shop bargain hunting tricks'

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 29-01-2019 at 4:39 PM.
Page 1
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 30th Jan 19, 3:10 PM
    • 22,137 Posts
    • 59,752 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 30th Jan 19, 3:10 PM
    • 30th Jan 19, 3:10 PM
    MSE Jenny
    Thanks for the article, I've been a charity shopper for more years than I can remember.

A few comments:
    Re Ted Baker, Age UK also had some Ted Baker surplus stock (but only in very small sizes).

I did look at the Oxfam online shop but the website is 'clunky' and you can't search for specific things like you can on ebay.

• You CAN haggle – but whether you SHOULD is an open question. Many do report haggling in charity shops. This is more a moral decision than a financial one.

Martin's view is: "This is about charity, so it's the one time paying full price (if it's reasonable) is a good thing to do. Yet if you're on the breadline and this is your only route available, then offering to pay what you can afford isn't wrong."
    I'm not sure I agree with this ^^^^.

There's been a few comments on the charity shop bargains thread and so far, the majority think haggling is inappropriate in charity shops.

Here's what I posted:

I read Martin's final quote to be a comment on # 13 of the MSE charity shop bargain hunting tips:
    My opinion is that it is unfair to put what is likely to be volunteer staff in the position of having to say 'no' to a lower offer on an item.
    We've already had the discussion about prices often being set by regional managers.

Unless of course, there is some flaw/fault with the item but you still want it.

How are staff to know that a customer is 'on the breadline'?

To me, haggling in a charity shop is a big 'no-no'.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Just my opinion based on years of using charity shops.
    Last edited by Pollycat; 30-01-2019 at 3:13 PM.
    • Hardup49
    • By Hardup49 30th Jan 19, 5:28 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Hardup49
    • 30th Jan 19, 5:28 PM
    • 30th Jan 19, 5:28 PM
    I would like to add to the comment you made about getting first picks of new stock and maybe a discount if you are a charity shop volunteer.
    It is my understanding that it is at the shop manager's discretion, and maybe even Head Office policy, as to whether you can buy an item or not before it has gone into the shop. When I worked as a volunteer at a charity shop a few years ago I always paid the price that would have been asked for in the shop itself with one exception and that was because the manager did not think that particular item would sell. And as it was a CHARITY shop I very seldom asked if I could buy an item under these conditions anyway.
    Hardup49
    • Honeylife
    • By Honeylife 31st Jan 19, 8:26 AM
    • 136 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    Honeylife
    • 31st Jan 19, 8:26 AM
    • 31st Jan 19, 8:26 AM
    Haggling or negotiating all depends. Looking at Jacket for 12.50, I have simply said 'look I only have a tenner on me what can you do?' the assistant has made a decision and let me have it for the tenner. If I had the other 2.50 I wouldn't have asked. If she wouldn't let me have it for a tenner I would have put it back. Charity is for both parties, the consumer and the seller.

I buy from Charity shops because I can't afford to go to M&S or John Lewis and pay full price. Not all buyers are bargain vintage clothes hunters. The products are given for free and the Charity shops have minimum overheads. They do make a profit whatever they sell the stuff for. I also give stuff at least once a year to Charity Shops spreading it out between four different ones on the High Street!

Charity shops are also found on eBay, have had some amazing bargains there! Much cheaper than the Charity shops on the High Street - from a consumer side.

Note of caution - had my purse pinched in a Charity Shop in Camden Town! The narrow stuffy shop with clothes rails rammed closely to each other, left little room to manoeuvre as I and others squeezed around the rails. Despite my bag being on my shoulder/armpit, someone lifted my purse and the manager simply shrugged said sorry we don't have CCTV cant help.
    Last edited by Honeylife; 31-01-2019 at 8:31 AM.
    "... during that time you must never succumb to buying an extra piece of bread for the table or a toy for a child, no." the Pawnbroker 1964
    • Former MSE Andrea
    • By Former MSE Andrea 4th Feb 19, 10:39 AM
    • 9,419 Posts
    • 22,334 Thanks
    Former MSE Andrea
    • 4th Feb 19, 10:39 AM
    • 4th Feb 19, 10:39 AM
    I bought a child's coat from a local charity shop. It had an old five pound note in the pocket!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • laaah
    • By laaah 10th Feb 19, 7:38 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    laaah
    • 10th Feb 19, 7:38 AM
    • 10th Feb 19, 7:38 AM
    I found a 10 note in the pocket of a coat I bought once! I went back and put the money in their collection tin.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,044Posts Today

3,965Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin