Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 26th Sep 17, 8:10 AM
    • 26,587Posts
    • 71,395Thanks
    Doozergirl
    The "Is This Quote Fair" Board
    • 26th Sep 17, 8:10 AM
    The "Is This Quote Fair" Board 26th Sep 17 at 8:10 AM
    EDIT 29/1/19 - I'm trying again and have put a post with a poll on it on the In My Home Board.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5957262

The board is a sub-board of the "In My Home (including DIY)" board.

It is rarely ever used and the threads on there don't get as many replies as they would if they were in the main 'In My Home" board. The people that do reply are almost always regulars from the "In My Home" board, but none of us go into the Quote board very often as the average is certainly less than one post a day. From the main board you only see if there has been a post today, so conversation is stilted unless you purposely go in there to look - mainly a thankless task.

There have been posts recently that have been getting plenty of answers in the "In My Home' section that have been moved in good faith by board guides to the Quote board, only to die a sudden death. It has been commented on by several regulars.

If you actually look at the board, the posts with the most answers were moved from elsewhere!

I genuinely don't feel that there is a need for the Quote board at all and feel that it could very easily be merged into the main board. It's a bit silly that you can discuss potential costs on the main board, but if you have a price already you have to post what is essentially the same conversation elsewhere!

..That's my key point, but while I'm on it, there are many posts in the House Buying etc. board that have everything to do with building and nothing to do with house buying that are not moved and often receive dud advice from well-meaning people who only seem to know what they've learned on the House Buying board. I often post that threads are on the wrong board, but those don't get moved. There is some cross-over with survey results etc. which muddies the water, but some are quite obviously in the wrong place.

I wonder if the "In My Home (including DIY)" board is correctly titled. We do have DIY threads on there, but often it does surround quite major building work that people often seem to think belongs best in House Buying. I've been here an awfully long time and have worked in building for all of that time, but it took me years to work out what the 'In My Home' board actually was. I know that there are threads in House Buying that would really benefit from input from those in the construction industry that usually live "In My Home'. Perhaps some reference to building work in the board title would help threads start in the right place and also guide in people who want to talk about their quotes?
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 29-01-2019 at 7:02 AM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
Page 1
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 26th Sep 17, 8:26 AM
    • 3,340 Posts
    • 4,094 Thanks
    martinsurrey
    • 26th Sep 17, 8:26 AM
    • 26th Sep 17, 8:26 AM
    I agree 100%.

I frequent all 3 boards.

"Is This Quote Fair" sub forum is all but useless.

removing it and allowing all quote based questions in the main "In My Home" forum would be far better.

The problem is that commenting on a quote takes a fair bit of back and forth with the OP to get the right info and right person to see it, hiding them in a dark corner of the forum makes it a chore for the people with the skills to help to find the threads.

I check the "In My Home" section maybe 5-10 times per day, but the "Is This Quote Fair" subsection once every few days.
  • archived user
    • 26th Sep 17, 8:29 AM
    • 26th Sep 17, 8:29 AM
    Couldn't agree more, the "is this quote fair" area, I think the thread starters forget about most of the time!! it's not really that well used or necessary imo.
    And re-titling the in my home board is also a good suggestion, most of the threads are about local authority consents and builders rather than diy
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 26th Sep 17, 8:39 AM
    • 24,666 Posts
    • 51,986 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 26th Sep 17, 8:39 AM
    • 26th Sep 17, 8:39 AM
    Another vote for merging the two boards. It makes no sense to have a separate, and little used, board for just one tiny subset of questions.
    • Former MSE Andrea
    • By Former MSE Andrea 26th Sep 17, 12:40 PM
    • 9,419 Posts
    • 22,334 Thanks
    Former MSE Andrea
    • 26th Sep 17, 12:40 PM
    • 26th Sep 17, 12:40 PM
    Thanks everyone, we'll take a look and have a think about this.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 26th Sep 17, 1:12 PM
    • 3,860 Posts
    • 4,067 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    • 26th Sep 17, 1:12 PM
    • 26th Sep 17, 1:12 PM
    I agree. I keep forgetting to look at the Quote sub-board.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 29th Jan 19, 6:45 AM
    • 26,587 Posts
    • 71,395 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 29th Jan 19, 6:45 AM
    • 29th Jan 19, 6:45 AM
    I'm just going to drag this up again because the Is This Quote fair board is still underused and whilst the board guide is well meaning, they don't frequent either board in terms of posting, it seems they see a thread title and move it.

It would be nice if maybe they just left it where it is as it's less work for them, even. There's one this morning that only had one reply on the main board, why would it get more on a much, much quieter sub board?

No two building projects are the same so it's not really helpful to scroll through previous posts as there's no real comparison to be made. People are genuinely better off posting in a board where other people (consumers) are actually going to see it and share their own recent experiences of similar things rather than leaving it us regulars to go in there, days after a post has been made.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 30th Jan 19, 9:15 AM
    • 24,465 Posts
    • 28,152 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    • 30th Jan 19, 9:15 AM
    • 30th Jan 19, 9:15 AM
    This thread, also in Site Feedback, links in.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️ Trainee Rosie the Riveter.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 30th Jan 19, 3:22 PM
    • 38,860 Posts
    • 162,307 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 30th Jan 19, 3:22 PM
    • 30th Jan 19, 3:22 PM
    .... but while I'm on it, there are many posts in the House Buying etc. board that have everything to do with building and nothing to do with house buying that are not moved and often receive dud advice from well-meaning people who only seem to know what they've learned on the House Buying board. I often post that threads are on the wrong board, but those don't get moved. There is some cross-over with survey results etc. which muddies the water, but some are quite obviously in the wrong place.
    by DoozerGirl
    Feel free to PM me if I don't see a thread that needs moving.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,228Posts Today

4,107Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin