Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gold Anaconda
    • By Gold Anaconda 19th Mar 18, 2:39 PM
    • 79Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Gold Anaconda
    Please delete my account
    • 19th Mar 18, 2:39 PM
    Please delete my account 19th Mar 18 at 2:39 PM
    Hello, I no longer wish to use this forum so please can I ask that my account is deleted?

Sorry I cannot see instructions for this anywhere on the site, hence this post.

Thank you.
Page 1
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 19th Mar 18, 2:45 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,441 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 19th Mar 18, 2:45 PM
    • 19th Mar 18, 2:45 PM
    I don't believe the forum team will delete your account unless there is a very good reason to do so.

You could just not login again, or change your password to some random digits so you're not tempted to.
    • Gold Anaconda
    • By Gold Anaconda 19th Mar 18, 4:16 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Gold Anaconda
    • 19th Mar 18, 4:16 PM
    • 19th Mar 18, 4:16 PM
    Hi Boris, I hope that's not true as it's now illegal to keep customers details without their consent.
  • archived user
    • 19th Mar 18, 6:50 PM
    • 19th Mar 18, 6:50 PM
    I think what happens is they keep your posts but change your user name to 'archived user guest'. I could be wrong but I think I recall someone else doing this. Might be worth contacting the forum team.
    • foxtrotoscar
    • By foxtrotoscar 19th Mar 18, 7:39 PM
    • 1,240 Posts
    • 1,935 Thanks
    foxtrotoscar
    • 19th Mar 18, 7:39 PM
    • 19th Mar 18, 7:39 PM
    Hi Boris, I hope that's not true as it's now illegal to keep customers details without their consent.
    Originally posted by Gold Anaconda
    In what way are you a customer of MSE? Are you going to start your 'I'll charge for my time dealing with this' nonsense again? Edit your profile and remove/alter any details you want to. The words Gold Anaconda don't belong to you.
    • mattb5906
    • By mattb5906 17th Jul 18, 11:52 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mattb5906
    • 17th Jul 18, 11:52 PM
    • 17th Jul 18, 11:52 PM
    I guess they are referring to this: https: / / ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection/reform/rights-citizens/my-rights/can-i-ask-company-delete-my-personal-data_en
    You have joined a social networking site. After a while, you decide to leave the networking site. You have the right to ask the company to delete the personal data belonging to you.
    https: / / ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/key-definitions/
    What information does the GDPR apply to?

• Personal data

The GDPR applies to !!!8216;personal data!!!8217; meaning any information relating to an identifiable person who can be directly or indirectly identified in particular by reference to an identifier.
      This definition provides for a wide range of personal identifiers to constitute personal data, including name, identification number, location data or online identifier, reflecting changes in technology and the way organisations collect information about people.
      The GDPR applies to both automated personal data and to manual filing systems where personal data are accessible according to specific criteria. This could include chronologically ordered sets of manual records containing personal data.
      Personal data that has been pseudonymised !!!8211; eg key-coded !!!8211; can fall within the scope of the GDPR depending on how difficult it is to attribute the pseudonym to a particular individual.
    https: / / moneysavingexpert.com/site/forum-faqs/#delete

I personally think there should be a user accessible option for a user to delete their account on any site, although I can see how it can cause problems when reading through old threads.
    Last edited by mattb5906; 18-07-2018 at 12:25 AM.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 18th Jul 18, 11:13 AM
    • 9,375 Posts
    • 22,227 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    • 18th Jul 18, 11:13 AM
    • 18th Jul 18, 11:13 AM
    Hi,

To delete your forum account please email us (forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com) from the email address you joined the Forum with.

Thanks

Andrea
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 23rd Jul 18, 1:11 PM
    • 33,625 Posts
    • 21,161 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 23rd Jul 18, 1:11 PM
    • 23rd Jul 18, 1:11 PM
    OP you posted this month so I take it you don't want your account being deleted then ?
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 23rd Jul 18, 6:25 PM
    • 9,275 Posts
    • 9,725 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 23rd Jul 18, 6:25 PM
    • 23rd Jul 18, 6:25 PM
    Sorry I cannot see instructions for this anywhere on the site, hence this post.
    Originally posted by Gold Anaconda
    They are in the basic forum info/guide - You know, the one you can access from every page on this board and that you clearly confirmed having read and understood, so they don't need to be spelled-out anywhere else!
    Last edited by pogofish; 23-07-2018 at 6:35 PM.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 23rd Jul 18, 6:53 PM
    • 4,292 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    Anthorn
    I think what happens is they keep your posts but change your user name to 'archived user guest'. I could be wrong but I think I recall someone else doing this. Might be worth contacting the forum team.
    Originally posted by avogadro
    That's automatic on a vBulletin board when posts and threads cannot be attributed to a username as in the case of a username being deleted. However it would take a strong-willed moderator to go through posts and threads to delete them so they are preserved.
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 24th Jul 18, 12:00 PM
    • 14,927 Posts
    • 30,569 Thanks
    Sleazy
    OP you posted this month so I take it you don't want your account being deleted then ?
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    Made me smile ....
    Weekly Distance Walked 26 km / Total For Year 260 km
    Strange words in BLUE may be anagrams - Reading them backwards sometimes helps.
    Anything posted here falls under The Official Secret Eater's Act
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 26th Jan 19, 1:12 PM
    • 38,659 Posts
    • 161,735 Thanks
    silvercar
    First time I have come across an "archived user" here

But their post has been quoted in the following post, so gives away the name of the user that presumably asked to be forgotten.

Is this a mistake?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

204Posts Today

1,423Users online

Martin's Twitter