PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Talking of Faraday cages, if you *do* want one, what do people think of the breadbins sold by Wilko? They're very sturdy, they cost a tenner, the seam between the body and the lid could be wrapped with aluminium foil ... does it matter they're magnetic?
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Anybody who has been sailing will tell you that a microwave is a very convenient Faraday cage. You've a great big (normally metal) mast and are a prime target when out at sea for any electrical storm so mobiles, hand held GPS and VHF all get shoved in there.

Now I didn't know that.....

I got rid of having a microwave many years back now....but would a dehydrator do instead (or would it get ruled out by virtue of not having such close-fitting doors as microwaves have)?

What I've got is an Excalibur one - ie very much the same shape and size as a microwave....so would it do?

Could another option be a cast-iron casserole dish with lid?
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    :) I've got my tea in tins, so that's gonna be protected from an EMP, isn't it?

The spaghoops are an aberration (and quite possibly an unnatural act, even) but they were only 15p a can and thus quite irresistable.

Given that money in the bank is losing its purchasing power due to that inflation which we all see, unless we're grubbyment statisticians, spending ahead on things which you know you'll use before they rot is sound household economy.

Been gardening and have picked some lovely tender little nettles, only about 3 inches high and in the way of today's project (broad bean patch prepped and sown). I've eaten them before but there is a tendancy to overlook them.

Quick rinse, shake excess water off, cook gently in saucepan in just that water for about 4 mins, squeeze out excess moisture, dab of butter and serve. Very very good for you.

I was eyeing up the other lottie weeds. Chickweed has colonised one area and there is also some plantain which I am sure is edible. Weeds have a lot of nutrition, a lot more than many cultivated veggies.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) I've got my tea in tins, so that's gonna be protected from an EMP, isn't it?

Good one. :rotfl:
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :)

I was eyeing up the other lottie weeds. Chickweed has colonised one area and there is also some plantain which I am sure is edible. Weeds have a lot of nutrition, a lot more than many cultivated veggies.

and on my plot there are a lot more weeds than feeds at the moment!

I have about a five year soap supply now (some of it very posh indeed), and an Acquapura water filter, thanks to car boot purchases yesterday for a total of £2.50. I have eased off the preps this year due to lack of time but in view of Brexit and inflation I will definitely be increasing my efforts in the New Year.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    :) Guys, if you're heading to HASDA this aft, carry the folding stuff: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3887294/Chaos-Asda-checkouts-card-machines-break-leading-gridlock-stores-Britain.html

Now, I wonder how many people will decide that relying entirely on card transactions in future will be unwise and that it's good to have some cash with you?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) Guys, if you're heading to HASDA this aft, carry the folding stuff: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3887294/Chaos-Asda-checkouts-card-machines-break-leading-gridlock-stores-Britain.html

Now, I wonder how many people will decide that relying entirely on card transactions in future will be unwise and that it's good to have some cash with you?

I just read about that on the BBC news site. They didn't mention whether folk who had cash were able to be served or if the whole operation just shut down regardless :eek:

ETA Ah, I see the Mail has a pic of a notice saying they can only accept cash.
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 30 October 2016 at 3:55PM
    I do a rather crazy thing of keeping my insurance deductible for both vechiles in envelopes and in the folder with the policy. I do this because I don't want to be scrambling for the $500 (per vehicle) if I should need it. This money could also be used if necessary in case of a debit card gridlock. It's one of the places I hide money. I don't think many thieves think about searching through files for money. I hope not anyway.

We do have a moped.
    CB radios used to be all the rage in the US when the Burt Reynolds movie, Smokey and the Bandit, came out in the late 70's. I'll have to scrounge around and see if we still have one. (Kondoeing hasn't hit that area :D )
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,903
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Lest anyone have missed it, it's Diwali, which means cooking oil & rice are front & centre *& discounted* in many supermarkets this week.

Says she with very nearly a car tankful of the oil & more kilos than I'm quite ready to admit to, in proper great sacks, stashed.

I also had a foray into mango pulp (I may make a sort of lhassi, and/or try a fruit leather) & another great box of dates. Why do these wonderful festivals try to shove my diet off a cliff?!

Still, when I've lost my layer of insulation & am shivering in the cold, a sizzling spam curry on a mattress of pilau rice will take my mind off my woes for a bit.

Trying to ride one of those bikes on our hills in snow & dark? Strikes me as a self inflicted injury waiting to happen. If I don't want to walk, I'd kidnap the farm behind me's horse. We have a relationship based on windfalls, & I can knot a rope bridle. Staying on might be a problem, but I already have a packsaddle... Indeed, in desperation the oldschool sawhorse can be repurposed, but ye gods pad the animal well first.)
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    And pad the bar of the sawhorse :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts