PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Comments

• Yay for fuddles!!!
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Join the wheezy gang Fuddle, mine is exercise induced, and when younger & more agile, DH asked on several ski holidays was I "having an asthma attack or an ......! "

Seriously though, although inhalers aren't free, they are a godsend, and you will get an annual flu jab as well as regular checks on your lung capacity & general health
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    edited 8 May 2016 at 9:22PM
    Well today was our first hot sunny day of the year. Hit 21C - almost unheard of! So we took the bike out for a run through the hills and got ice cream in Peebles :)
    Glad yuv been repaired Fuds!
  • Hi Fuddle, as a fellow chronic asthmatic since I was 16, I can categorically confirm that getting onto the right medication (though it sometimes takes a little while to find the right one) and the moment when you first feel that it is working, is simply marvellous.

I've had a variety of inhalers since my asthma first showed its ugly face when I was 16, and am now happily on a rather wonderful corticosteroid one. Mine is always wheezing away in the background, but worsens with stress, dust, pollen, exercise, weather change etc. but the current inhaler means there's not much I can't do day to day. I'm off to enjoy a month in a tropical jungle with 16 teenagers in tow in 2 months, we'll be living in the jungle, doing construction work and scrambling up and down mountains, and I have no worries at all, all thanks to my magical inhaler.

The NHS may be on its knees, but in tandem with developments in modern medicine, it is a life saver. I hope you feel MUCH better soon and that you quickly find what works best for you.
  • shanks77
    shanks77 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Glad you are ok Fuddle
    Mar 21 degrees? Bit hot for me think we managed 15 today
    Softstuff glad you made it home safely and the jet lag dissipates soon
    Lynn sounds like you had a great weekend
    McCulloch nice to see you back
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How frightening fuddle, hope you continue to improve.

Good to see you home safely softstuff, shame the good weather couldn't have come here earlier!

Lovely day weatherwise, got to 22 degrees here but there were still a couple of little showers. Glad you got out mardatha, does that mean you have stopped knitting wooly socks?

Went for a bike ride with some friends and managed to catch the sun, not often that happens here!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Still knitting camelot, but its a silk scarf now instead of socks :)
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Floss wrote: »
    :embarasse:embarasse aaw, thanks ladies!

Good to read you're home safe Softstuff, have you thawed out yet?! :rotfl:
    Seriously Floss, if you ever get tired of cakes you'd make a great therapist.

I have never been more glad to be back to the weather here! My nose has already stopped running and started to heal up which is a relief. All I need now is to practise my marks' scone making and all will be well.

I missed you too Nursemaggie. Did your DS like his shirt?

Glad you got sorted Fuddle. It makes such a difference when you start getting treatment for something you've had for a while without knowing. I thought my stomach problems were anxiety years ago, but when I started being treated realized I wasn't such an anxious little bunny either. Hoping it's the same for you.

This is the casserole my friend made and gave me when I got home:
    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/19733/mediterranean+chicken+and+olive+casserole
    It's delicious and reheats very nicely. Bet it freezes well too.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Fuddle, glad you've got to the bottom of your problems and can start to get the proper meds. I started with asthma in my late 40's as a result of stress, but it's very well controlled nowadays with the inhalers.
    One thing I would recommend, though, is if you find you have to buy two or more meds a month, it is worth getting a pre paid prescription card. It saves a fortune.:D
    2024 Fashion on the ration 32/66 used
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    He liked one and not the other softstuff The first one we bought where we got three for the price of two it turned out what I thought was a dark blue stripe was turquoise which he did not like, it does not suit him.

The other one we bought where I got the planters he absolutely loves.

Friday morning DS went to the bank to open a savings account because he needs a new gaming computer. He has not been able to play any of the games he got for Christmas. He just does not have enough ram for them. He has had this computer for about 7 years. Games have got much bigger since then. We even had to send some back from Christmas and change them for older games. It's the graphics card that is the problem. When I bought him this one seven years back for his birthday We bought the biggest graphics card that had just come out.

Anyway he opened an ISA account, still more interest even though he is not a taxpayer.

While the bank was sorting it out the girl looking after it said. "I have found a bank account in your name but it was opened by your mother when you were a baby. You have to have her permission to take the money out. It has £880 in it."

We are going to sort it out tomorrow. I thought I had transferred it to his name when he was about 12. He just made that into a current account when he was 18. I am amazed this account has turned up. I had thought he had spent the money his grandmother left him plus the money she gave him for his 18th and 21st birthdays.

My mother gave me the money for his 18th and 21st birthdays as all her other 6 grandchildren had had theirs and she knew she was unlikely to be alive for either. I must have put them in this account.

The upshot is he will be able to buy his new computer next month and not have to wait until probably the end of the year. For anyone who knows how much gaming computers cost he will be building it himself thus saving himself thousands of pounds. He has been building his own since he was eight.

He did blow up his first one he got too big a graphics card for the motherboard and it blew both parts when he switched on. Cost me £400 which I made him pay me back some of from his pocket money. It has certainly made him check everything twice whenever he had ordered parts for his computer.

We will be having one of those days tomorrow as he has a hospital appointment first thing, then the bank and quite a few other errands to do. I'm hoping we can fit in a visit Ald! before we come home.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure