Start an ironing service... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Comments

• cazac71
    cazac71 Posts: 425 Forumite
    Hi again,

I`ve just come across this other Forum, thought you maybe interested.
    http://www.ironingservicedirectory.co.uk/pressingmatters/index.php

Best wishes

Caz :p
    Caz
    Debt free after 12 years :T
  • Hi Caz,

i do drive however all my customers (4!!) drop off and collect at their own convenience.

Its really helpful actually because you dont have to worry about garment covers and rails in your car/van!

as i dont use garment covers myself i cant really help but im pretty sure theyre not biodegradeable! anything plastic is the bane of the world!

but maybe im wrong! it happens a lot!

good luck and keep us posted!:D
  • cazac71
    cazac71 Posts: 425 Forumite
    I forgot to ask, if anyone in and around the Cambridge City Area would like their ironing done, just PM me for details.

Many thanks:beer:

Caz
    Caz
    Debt free after 12 years :T
  • Stephb1986_2
    Stephb1986_2 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    The plastic sleeves your on about I don't use because if the customer leaves the garment in the plastic it will eventually start growing mould so It's really not a good idea.

HTH

Steph xx
  • kettricken
    kettricken Posts: 196 Forumite
    Hi everyone

I have taken the plunge, I read all the posts a while ago, and even then wasn't sure, but decided what could I lose by trying. I was adamant I was not going to spend before I earned, I designed my own logo and printed my own business cards, then I discovered an offer from BT about getting British business online, completely free domain, web hosting for a couple of years, so prior to any leaflet dropping I have started to design my own website. It is still work in progress but I got my first ever customer from it today.
    http://www.gbbo.co.uk/ is the link if anyone is interested.

However I felt I had to match the price she was paying previously, and she was quite fussy about how she liked it done. So 11kg took me 4½ hours, there were loads of tshirty type tops long and short sleeved. As I was using my steam generator I hung them for a short while on my airer so they weren't too damp. Does anyone else do this? she provided the hangers and I wasn't going to put into bags but it was raining when I delivered so I put a bin bag over the hung clothes. The rest went back into the bag she provided.

So I have only spent £2 so far on an Invoice book and some easy iron, and earnt £17. I will need to buy a sleeve board with this and do some more work on the website. Then I think I will really need to hit advertising big time. There is noone advertising in my town but I am sure there must be people doing it.

Thanks everyone for the ideas from these posts and heres hoping.

If anyone in or around Bury St Edmunds wants their ironing done please PM me.
  • Stephb1986 wrote: »
    Hi Julie,

I just want to wish you luck where abouts are you based? Just to remind you customers stuff might not be as nicely washed as you wash your own stuff after doing this for 8 years I have found that out lol. But I can roughly do between 20-30 per hour with a steam generator maybe more if it's something I can steam like a football tshirt ect

Steph xx

Hi Steph
    I'm in Southport, North West. got 3 regular customers at the mo and hoping for more. Had a laundry order the other day for bedding which wasn't too bad.. I seem to earn approx £12 per hour doing 20 items @ 60p per item, looking for another job to replace full time office job for now as chance of redundancy growing....
    Julie
    Always trying to save money but enjoy spending money too much!
    :beer:
  • fantasia322
    fantasia322 Posts: 1,373 Forumite
    edited 30 August 2010 at 5:14PM
    deleted iron just failed. have to invest in a really good one now
  • Stephb1986_2
    Hi Steph
    I'm in Southport, North West. got 3 regular customers at the mo and hoping for more. Had a laundry order the other day for bedding which wasn't too bad.. I seem to earn approx £12 per hour doing 20 items @ 60p per item, looking for another job to replace full time office job for now as chance of redundancy growing....
    Julie

Hi Julie,

Do you have a company name? just thinking you could enter pop quiz on the local radio station using your company name it lets people know your out there :) If you have a car that your collecting/delivering in you can get magnetics I've got some it was around £30 for a pair and we also have a citroen relay van thats been sign written that was about £150 + vat. Free advertising at the end of the day people will flash you over ect ect we have this alot or taking the phone number down asking for a business card too.

HTH

Steph xx
  • Stephb1986_2
    deleted iron just failed. have to invest in a really good one now

Tefal pro express ones are really good look on ebay :) they will only last 12-18 months if cleaned out regularly this is because we use them so much.

Steph xx
  • Hi All

I hope everyone is well. Myself and a friend are in the process of setting up our own ironing service (possibly also cleaning as she currently does cleaning for a living). If anyone in the Hitchin, Hertfordshire area requires ironing to be done/a cleaner please pm me. Thank you.

Brini :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport