New Investor: VLS 100?

124»

Comments

• fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,810 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 19 July 2017 at 1:19AM
    bigadaj wrote: »
    It's your decision but why those three, I can sort of understand two, or maybe smaller satellite funds in niche areas im addition to give a tilt, but those three use different strategies and approaches.

In truth there is no deep underlying strategy behind it. I know my limitations: I have absolutely no way of knowing how each of the differences between the funds will play out in the long term - so I may as well try several and see how they work out. If in the medium term one turns out to be a dog, I can ditch it - better that way than putting everything on one dog.

One of the things that has influenced my choice is the realisation that there is little point in having a precise and completely coherent investment strategy when the market itself is often chaotic and incoherent, and driven by events that nobody can reasonably predict. So a bit of inconsistency and a lack of complete precision no longer worries me tooo much.

I should add that around four years ago I was inspired by Tim Hale's book to implement a coherent strategy (GM 42%, GV 14%, GS 14%, EM 10%, EV 5%, Property 10%, Bonds 5%) and then realised that I just can't be rsed with all the rebalancing faff. Perhaps I'm just too lazy to do investing properly...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure