2018 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Life has been running me ragged and I'm not tracking my budget as I should.
    I have a Muscle Food delivery tomorrow that I probably don't need as I hadn't realised my order was still on repeat and while I was away the deadline to make any changes passed.
    So tomorrow after I get back from work I will be sorting out the food and then aiming for the longest menu plan possible so that through March and April I cut my spending and go back to using up all my stocks.
    I am away in April again next and I want to save some spending money for the first week.
    We are staying in a caravan for a week-8 of us, so I am going to try to take as much food with us as possible, but I hope that we can afford one night out.
    I was much better when I was at home all the time, now I am working I struggle.
    I know that it's my planning and I need to address that.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Frugaldom wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed any of the cheap fruit trees in the supermarkets yet? Keep waiting for Ald! to get them in but still no word of them...
    Good News !!

Al*i advertising apple, plum, pear and cherry trees on 22nd Feb - so Thursday this week
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • Nonnadiluca
    Options
    Fell flat on my face, quite literally, at the weekend, knocked my front teeth out of alignment so have orthodontist bills to come when my face returns to its normal size. Double ouch!!!!! On the upside, I can't eat much so the shopping bill should go down.
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    lynnejk wrote: »
    Good News !!

Al*i advertising apple, plum, pear and cherry trees on 22nd Feb - so Thursday this week
    Lx
    I can't them on the website - is it something only running in certain areas?

EDIT - found them by searching for tree. Not showing on site otherwise. I much prefer the old format of the email which showed all offers coming into the store !
    Cheryl
  • indigowarrior
    Options
    Frugaldom wrote: »
    I must be a total cheapskate as I'll eat whatever is most economical :) Porridge is just cooked and no more with water and a handful of sultanas then I drizzle on some honey for added luxury. :D

Housebuying and mortgage avoidance - the link to the original thread is in the list on page 1. I managed to buy another house last summer, so that's the retirement plans now in place. I could never have done it without frugal living and I bought in areas that I found affordable, but that's a luxury I can afford from home-based self-employment. I don't earn anywhere near minimum wage and I don't claim any benefits or tax credits - I am happy being financially self-sustainable and debt free. If you don't need the money, you don't need to work in a job you hate so I no longer work in jobs I hate. :) Helping others achieve their ideal frugal lifestyle is what I do most of nowadays, other than when I'm shovelling pony poop or carting hay. :rotfl:

My weekly grocery budget averages about £15 per week for 2 adults, so I definitely don't splash cash on regular purchases of brand names. :D
    I read your thread and it really inspired me, I am slowly working through the older threads.
    No Spend November 2/15 and SPC 134
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Fell flat on my face, quite literally, at the weekend, knocked my front teeth out of alignment so have orthodontist bills to come when my face returns to its normal size. Double ouch!!!!! On the upside, I can't eat much so the shopping bill should go down.

Feeling for you x
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Tanya12345
    Options
    Howdy Fruggies, been awol for a bit !! Life just kinda got manic for a while. Hugs to all those that need them. I've just read through the posts and it gives me a good kick up the whatsit ! Grocery spending is ok but personal spending has exploded !! It's sucked out the emergency fund so now it's time to regroup and recoup !! Exciting news is that hopefully the house is sold and new one bought ( v. early days but here's hoping ...). Need all my thrifty skills to save, save, save - to fund move and set up new place. Hooray re fruit trees, will be stocking up plus trying to take cuttings from everything I have. Will update my figures but am quite embarrassed !! X
    Journey on the Frugal Wagon to Self Reliance.
    Making money work for me, not the other way round
  • Moll
    Moll Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

OUCH !! big hugs
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Soo sorry to read that you've damaged yourself. Sending some gws vibes and some hugs - hope soon mended
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • Moll
    Moll Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 February 2018 at 11:44PM
    Options
    Now this may or may not apply to us , as ive read this in an American magazine , but I thought id share , and maybe these ideas will work for us too , Some I think we know , but maybe not
    If you have reached a milestone birthday , 40. 50 . 65 . you may be eligible for a discount in home or car insurance, since rates go down as you age .

If you've been with the same credit card company for five or more years and had regular on time payments , call and ask for a lower interest rate - many will say yes in return for being a long time customer

Have cable/ wireless/ internet ./ a savings account ? Every year companies and banks roll out new money saving offers that existing customers can take advantage of - if they ask ! This can mean a reduction in monthly bills, having fees waived or getting complimentary perks that can save you lots, So call all the companies and banks that youre making payments to every month and ask if they have any new deals for you

as I say this was in an American magazine , but some may apply to us
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport