PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Exchanged - Owner now passed away

Comments

• hjd
    hjd Posts: 1,214
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    troffasky wrote: »
    Ahhh, that's what you think

That's what I know.
  • Your local authority will accept a copy of your exchange paperwork for school application so don't worry about that causing as issue.
    Finally Debt Free 24/4/2023 
  • An update:

We've moved into our rental, costs to be met by our vendors estate.

Probate is moving, slowly. The best we have is completion within a year.

The vendors daughter changes her mind on a regular basis whether or not she will contest the will, what we do know is that if she does then her children will effectively be paying to fight it as costs will come from their cut.

The school we're applying for have confirmed they will accept exchange paperwork which is brilliant for us.

We have been denied permission to access the house by the daughter. Basically it's no access until completion.

We did meet with our buyers and tell them what was going on but assured them their purchase was fine and we complete on Tuesday on our sale.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,421
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Rushed44 wrote: »
    The vendors daughter changes her mind on a regular basis whether or not she will contest the will, what we do know is that if she does then her children will effectively be paying to fight it as costs will come from their cut.

Well... If she is going to challenge the validity of the will, she needs to pull her finger out and do so before probate is granted. or if it is a claim under the inheritance act, she has six months from the date of probate being granted to enter a claim.

In either case, a solicitor acting on her behalf will want a substantial sum of money up front - A starter retainer of around £20K, and if it gets to court, another £40K. She *might* find a solicitor who will take it on subject to a conditional fee arrangement, but even that would be subject to an up front payment of around 50% of the expected legal costs. None of that would be reclaimable from the estate unless she won and the judge made an order for costs.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • This is extremely fishy. A dying woman not only left the OP £300k but sold them her house at what appears to be well below market value. If I were the daughter, I'd be questioning every aspect of this.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Teamocil wrote: »
    This is extremely fishy. A dying woman not only left the OP £300k but sold them her house at what appears to be well below market value. If I were the daughter, I'd be questioning every aspect of this.

if you read the posts 60-64, the daughter had been estranged for 8 years and the mother exercised her right of what she wanted to do with her estate.

There have been a few cases of relatives contesting wills when it was made with a sound mind which is sad and in effect greed and having it on. They only cared when money came into it.

Either way it is up to the solicitors to thrash this one out
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Teamocil wrote: »
    This is extremely fishy. A dying woman not only left the OP £300k but sold them her house at what appears to be well below market value. If I were the daughter, I'd be questioning every aspect of this.

I don't see how it's fishy. I might have missed something, but I don't remember reading that she was dying; I thought the death was unexpected. A person has the right to leave their estate to anyone they choose.

And the daughter is questioning everything because she's after the money. She can't stand to sell her childhood home... but can come to terms with doing it if she's paid £80k? Before knowing if she is even entitled to the estate?

When I lost my mother, my sister locked me out of my mother's house. Before I'd had the chance to wrap my head around what had happened, she'd sold every stick of furniture, every possession she thought was worth anything, and thrown everything she couldn't sell into the bin. Blood isn't thicker than water. A bad daughter doesn't stop being bad just because her mother has passed away; if anything, some get worse.
    Selling up and moving to the seasaw. Mortgage-free by 2020 :)
  • kinger101 wrote: »
    I can't see the point in you attending the meeting arranged by the vendor's solicitor. Best to keep your powder dry. Just tell your solicitor to write a letter saying you expect completion. Her solicitor will probably explain to her again she's an idiot.

*** I might be tempted to tell daughter she can buy it back off you for twice what you paid for it, as she seems to love it so much.

Or for an extra £80k. :D
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Teamocil wrote: »
    First of all she wasn't dying. Basically she was downsizing and was happy to sell bellow market price to a friend/acquaintance. It appears that the old lady was well off and could afford that.

As for the inheritance - she had a will, where her wealth was distributed as she feels fit, witnessed by her solicitor. Leaving more money to non-family, than estranged family members is nothing new and there is nothing wrong with it.
  • It's all still ongoing, but is going as smoothly as it can.

The daughter even agreed to our request to drain all the water down to ensure no possible damage over the winter.

Our solicitor has said completion before June would be considered a bonus
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport