PIP and UC

2»

Comments

• If I'm on PIP and LCWRA

PIP is irrelevant and nothing to do with the UC WCA decision.
    or at least LCWRA, I won't be required to work, or look for work, or go to the jobcentre at all?

If you are found fit for work at a WCA - you have to look for work.
    If you are found LCW for work at a WCA - you do not have to look for work but still have three monthly appointments at the Jobcentre and can be asked to do certain things.
    If you are found LCWRA at a WCA you have no requirements or appointments.

From the date you claim until your WCA could be a few months. You need to supply a sick note to start the health process. When you have a sick note awaiting a WCA you don't need to be able to start work but they can ask you to do things and you do have appointments. The frequenecy of them will depend on your coach.
    But if I do work, I won't be required to do the above, but I can work as and when I feel up to it?

If you earn more than 338 a month you would be in light touch and shouldn't have appointments at the jobcentre.

If you are found LCW or LCWRA there's nothing to stop you working as such. Your health decision is reassesed periodically so if you were earning lots it might impact the decision.
    And my earnings will only begin to be get deductions for anything above £198 per month?

Only if found LCW or LCWRA
  • PIP is irrelevant and nothing to do with the UC WCA decision.

If you are found fit for work at a WCA - you have to look for work.
    If you are found LCW for work at a WCA - you do not have to look for work but still have three monthly appointments at the Jobcentre and can be asked to do certain things.
    If you are found LCWRA at a WCA you have no requirements or appointments.

From the date you claim until your WCA could be a few months. You need to supply a sick note to start the health process. When you have a sick note awaiting a WCA you don't need to be able to start work but they can ask you to do things and you do have appointments. The frequenecy of them will depend on your coach.

If you earn more than 338 a month you would be in light touch and shouldn't have appointments at the jobcentre.

If you are found LCW or LCWRA there's nothing to stop you working as such. Your health decision is reassesed periodically so if you were earning lots it might impact the decision.

Only if found LCW or LCWRA

Thank you, I think I get the gist of it.

If I go to the doctor and get a sick note, and apply for Universal credit, I assume that I would simply have to supply the doctor's note in order to be exempt from having to go to the jobcentre, is that right?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    JulieJewel wrote: »
    Thank you, I think I get the gist of it.

If I go to the doctor and get a sick note, and apply for Universal credit, I assume that I would simply have to supply the doctor's note in order to be exempt from having to go to the jobcentre, is that right?

No. You will have to attend JobCentre to meet a work coach. If you provide a Fit Note which indicates something other than a short term illness the DWP will start the Work Capability Assessment process. Only the outcome of the WCA will determine the long term expectations in respect of DWP requirements. In the mean time the work coach has discretion to turn off the work search requirements.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • JulieJewel
    JulieJewel Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 14 September 2018 at 11:52PM
    calcotti wrote: »
    No. You will have to attend JobCentre to meet a work coach. If you provide a Fit Note which indicates something other than a short term illness the DWP will start the Work Capability Assessment process. Only the outcome of the WCA will determine the long term expectations in respect of DWP requirements. In the mean time the work coach has discretion to turn off the work search requirements.

I'm not allowed to post links yet, but I just read a page on the citizens advice website that says :

"Tell your work coach if your sickness or disability reduces what you can do to work or look for work. You’ll usually need to fill in a form and you might need to go to a medical assessment."

"If the DWP decide you don’t have LCW or LCRWA you’ll be in the ‘all work-related activity group’. The Jobcentre should still take your sickness or disability into account when considering what type of work you need to apply for."

It seems to be saying (I'm paraphrasing) that after they do the assessment, if you don't get LCW or LCWRA, then the job centre still has to take into consideration what it says on your sick note.

So if the job centre has to take the sick note into consideration after the assessment, surely they'd have to take it into consideration before the assessment. I don't see why they'd only have to take it seriously after the assessment. If you already have a sick note, they should bear that in mind.

I know logic and reason don't always prevail, but surely in this case it would, no?

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    That’s what I said. They have to take it into consideration but it’s at their discretion.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • JulieJewel
    JulieJewel Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 19 September 2018 at 1:18PM
    I've started applying for Universal Credit. I've answered most of the questions.

It asks if I have anything that affects my ability to work or seek work, and I said yes. But now it's asking for the start date of me not being able to work.

The thing is I can work, but my problem is that I am limited in what kind of work I can do.

What do I do? I can't put down any specific date because first of all I can work albeit limited, and secondly there's no exact date I can put down.

I want to tell them exactly the right answers but this question doesn't allow me to do that and I don't want to get in trouble due to them thinking that I'm lying or being inaccurate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure