Discharged Bankruptcy and SC Vetting Clearance

I know this has been asked several times before, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer, maybe there isn't one!

I have an interview next week and if successful the post requires SC vetting clearance.

I was declared bankrupt in April 2018 and discharged April 2019, so only 9 months ago.

Just wondering if i am wasting my time and their time if it is going to be instantly refused.

I've done some extensive research online and am getting the impression that if you are not 3 years post discharge you will not be considered, but have also seen some conflicting comments in relation to this.

Really trying to work out if it's a case of 'Computer says no,' or whether they are looked at on a case-by-case basis.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• There isn't a definitive answer as vetting decisions are made on a case-by-case basis.

Finances (and how they are handled) are a significant part of the vetting process but financial issues won't necessarily preclude a clearance being granted. I heard an anecdote about someone applying for clearance above SC who had debt of £80,000 (as well as a mortgage). The story goes that the clearance was granted as the application had 1) declared the debt 2) acknowledged it was a problem and 3) was doing something about it.

I would go ahead with the clearance application, be completely honest and open, and see what the vetting people say.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure