Living on benefits

How do people survive on benefits? I just looked and I will receive just over 400 pounds a month. I still have to pay rent, council tax, service charge, car insurance, car tax, heating, gas. I don’t know how I would cope.

Comments

• sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    How do people survive on benefits? I just looked and I will receive just over 400 pounds a month. I still have to pay rent, council tax, service charge, car insurance, car tax, heating, gas. I don’t know how I would cope.

What benefit are you claiming?

If it is an income related benefit UC, JSA(IB), ESA(IR) then you should be entitled to some help with housing costs. If it is a contribution based benefit only, then do you have savings or other income that is preventing you being entitled to an income related benefit?
  • You mentioned recently that you are a civil servant so hopefully when you add your wage on top you’ll be OK.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Which benefit(s) are you claiming, and what are your circumstances/
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Have your circumstances recently changed?
    Less than 3 months ago you were in this position:
    I am 32 years old, I want to start investing in a private pension but do not where to start. I could only afford to put between 100 to 200 a month in. Is that enough?
    So...have your circumstances changed since 26th August or are you asking a hypothetical question?

This board is specifically for help and support for those on or looking to claim benefits - as per the 'sticky' at the top of the board.

If you do not need help and/or support about benefits, this thread needs moving to Discussion Time.
  • sportsarb
    Pollycat wrote: »
    ...this thread needs moving to Discussion Time.

Just having it closed would make more sense. I don't think there is any real help needed or relevant discussion to be had.
  • Pollycat
    sportsarb wrote: »
    Just having it closed would make more sense. I don't think there is any real help needed or relevant discussion to be had.
    But the OP hasn't confirmed one way or the other whether he/she needs help/support/advice about benefits and I wouldn't like to see a thread closed because some posters think real help isn't needed if someone really is in need.
  • sportsarb
    Pollycat wrote: »
    But the OP hasn't confirmed one way or the other whether he/she needs help/support/advice about benefits and I wouldn't like to see a thread closed because some posters think real help isn't needed if someone really is in need.

I guess there is an infinitesimally small chance that they aren't a troll and they do need help but given the thread history about being employed a few weeks ago, going to Egypt and getting diarrhoea (Believable but why post about it), fear of parents dying, fear of being made homeless, writing to their MP with a fake name and e-mail address but correct address all while getting ready for an interview at the department where the MP works and worrying about getting arrested and, finally, worrying about whether his non-Russell group degree will be good enough for banks.

I'm not saying that the OP doesn't need help, I just fear that it is of the type we cannot give on the internet, if they are serious about this then my first reply in the thread can stand as my requirement for taking them seriously.

I worry about a tonne of stuff, incessantly, but I tend to filter most of it in to things I believe the internet can help with and things they can't and are of no interest or use.
  • sportsarb wrote: »
    I guess there is an infinitesimally small chance that they aren't a troll and they do need help but given the thread history about being employed a few weeks ago, going to Egypt and getting diarrhoea (Believable but why post about it), fear of parents dying, fear of being made homeless, writing to their MP with a fake name and e-mail address but correct address all while getting ready for an interview at the department where the MP works and worrying about getting arrested and, finally, worrying about whether his non-Russell group degree will be good enough for banks.

I'm not saying that the OP doesn't need help, I just fear that it is of the type we cannot give on the internet, if they are serious about this then my first reply in the thread can stand as my requirement for taking them seriously.

I worry about a tonne of stuff, incessantly, but I tend to filter most of it in to things I believe the internet can help with and things they can't and are of no interest or use.

Spot on, yet another idiot for my ignore list.
  • Pollycat
    sportsarb wrote: »

Spot on, yet another idiot for my ignore list.
    I too have my doubts about the real need of help by the OP regarding benefits but I do prefer to give posters the benefit of the doubt, even after reading previous posting history.

I guess this thread will just gradually fall to the bottom of the board unless the OP comes back and clarifies a real need for help. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure