Buyer opened a case Item not recieved.

The buyer has opened a case as they haven't received the item I sent, before contacting me to say as I would have sent a replacement. I messaged them about a refund or replacement, and they opted for a replacement which I sent via a second class large letter stamp, no proof of postage. I messaged the buyer to say it had been re-sent and to let me know when they receive it. The case is still open and I get mo response from the buyer. What should Ido if they let the case run its course and Iget a strike ?

Comments

• No - you won't get a strike if it runs it's course. A lot of buyers will only look at eBay if they have a problem and don't realise they need to do anything else when they received the replacement. I can't recall how long it's open for 30 days from when they opened it I think.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • Belenus
    Belenus Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No - you won't get a strike if it runs it's course. A lot of buyers will only look at eBay if they have a problem and don't realise they need to do anything else when they received the replacement. I can't recall how long it's open for 30 days from when they opened it I think.
    They should receive a reminder in their email and should see that unless it is an email id that they only use for eBay and don't check regularly.

I recently opened an INR case. I received confirmation of the case in both eBay messages and in my email.

After 8 days, eBay sent me a reminder email asking me whether the seller had responded or not.
    A man walked into a car showroom.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    Salesman said, “We haven't got a Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    The man replied, “You have now mate".
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No - you won't get a strike if it runs it's course. A lot of buyers will only look at eBay if they have a problem and don't realise they need to do anything else when they received the replacement. I can't recall how long it's open for 30 days from when they opened it I think.

I'm working too hard at the moment (real work not eBay:() so I might be mis reading, but if seller does not respond to the open INR case and get it closed via one of the acceptable methods then they will get a defect. Not only that but they will lose their FVFs and buyer will be refunded.

The eBay system is no longer geared up for a replacement to be sent, the seller only gets the option to refund or upload tracking to show delivery , if they don't do that then case can be closed against them.

I no longer send replacements once an INR is opened as I cannot protect myself against the case being closed against me.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 January 2020 at 9:16AM
    Yes you're absolutely right Soolin, I should have asked what the item was before giving my experience. I send out replacements for small items worth a pound or two in the manner I just described and have never in 10 years had someone try to pull a fast one in the way you describe, but yes that is a distinct possibility and may be more likely in other categories and price bands.

But when the buyer is happy and doesn't close the case and leaves it to time out, what I said stands which is you don't get a black mark or loose any fees.

Of course if the item was worth a lot more, it wouldn't have been sent without tracking anyway, which would have made the chance of a spurious INR less of a problem.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure