Blue Badge 'police'

Honestly I can't believe what has just happened. I parked in my local town in a disabled bay, and before I even got my badge out to display, some oldish (well she must have been 60s I guess - if thats ageist I do apologize) woman knocked on the window of the car and ranted on at me that her husband was disabled and she needed the space and because I don't look old (I'm 45 by the way) I guess she took issue with me and wouldn't let me get a word in. Even some passers-by were watching the spectacle unfold!

Anyway, when I finally did manage to reply that I was disabled and I did have a badge she didn't believe me and said some sniffy things. I retorted that (in a very nice way) that she shouldn't always assume things and despite her age she should be more polite.

She eventually walked off and I was left shaking - my goodness I felt like I'd been interogated by the Gestapo!!!! We don't need a police force, just old ladies with a grudge!!
Me transmitte sursum, caledoni

Comments

• WhiteHorse
    WhiteHorse Posts: 2,492 Forumite
    I've experienced this myself. Some years ago, my local Tesco found it necessary to put up signs saying 'Not all disabilities are visible'.
    "Never underestimate the mindless force of a government bureaucracy
    seeking to expand its power, dominion and budget"
    Jay Stanley, American Civil Liberties Union.
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    the trouble is many young and old for that matter people feel the need to park in disabled bays and so judgements get made based on what they can see and that is the biggest problem

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • lyniced
    lyniced Posts: 1,880 Forumite
    WhiteHorse wrote: »
    I've experienced this myself. Some years ago, my local Tesco found it necessary to put up signs saying 'Not all disabilities are visible'.

Oh thats interesting - I haven't seen that sign before. Maybe they should adopt it round here.
  • Aputsiaq
    Aputsiaq Posts: 313 Forumite
    So? Ignore anyone who does that....they want to be busy bodies thats their look out. Why would you even bother to speak to them?

Its hardly something to get into a flap about.
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    What a remarkably stupid bigoted old woman.

Hope you are okay.
  • Luckyred
    Luckyred Posts: 298 Forumite
    It happens to me quite often. People accuse me of not looking disabled...... thats probably a reasonable assumption because I am not disabled but my mum is so we park in the disabled spaces as she has a BB. She waits in the store while I put her shopping in my car.
  • veryunsure
    veryunsure Posts: 249 Forumite
    edited 31 July 2010 at 6:41PM
    I think I may have asked if she was medically qualified... and told her if she was sufficiently qualified (at least a GP!) I might explain why I had a blue badge.

On the other hand, I'd probably politely reminded her that being old (or disabled) is not a justifiable excuse for being ignorant and rude.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    veryunsure wrote: »
    On the other hand, I'd probably politely reminded her that being old (or disabled) is not a justifiable excuse for being ignorant and rude.

Or being judgemental.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • lyniced
    lyniced Posts: 1,880 Forumite
    lucylucky wrote: »
    What a remarkably stupid bigoted old woman.

Hope you are okay.

Yes, I'm okay thanks, but I'm thinking maybe she'd had a bad day and I was her battering ram! I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, so to speak.
  • veryunsure
    veryunsure Posts: 249 Forumite
    veryunsure wrote: »
    I think I may have asked if she was medically qualified... and told her if she was sufficiently qualified (at least a GP!) I might explain why I had a blue badge.

Replying to myself is a bit silly I know, but:

It is probably better to remind her not to be rude, ignorant or judgmental - with no regard to her age,ability or anything! Wouldn't the world be so much nicer! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure