Which console?

Comments

• Chickabiddybex
    Chickabiddybex Posts: 1,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer Savvy Shopper!
    AndyPix wrote: »
    No - No you could not.

Categorically 100% definitely not

Please educate yourself on the xbone OS/hypervisor architecture before coming out with silly comments like that

It's very unlikely, but it's not 100% impossible.

Also, there's no need to be so rude.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    You seem very keen for people to put dodgy stuff onto their consoles. You almost seem to be ordering people do so with your tone. You say its 100% safe and you may well be right, at least for now but what if someone unscrupulous decides to try and work around it and succeeds in the future?

THERE IS NOTHING DODGY ABOUT KODI.
    And I don't care what people put on their consoles, but I do want people to be armed with correct knowledge, and what you are saying is 100% incorrect.

You are not putting the addons on your xbox, you are putting them on your kodi build - why cant you understand this.
    There is nothing to work around , the kodi addons have no idea that your xbox even exists and have no way to affect it at all - not now not ever it is technically impossible

Xbox is not like a PC where any software can run.

Any software that is to run on xbox has to be digitally signed by Microsoft

IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR MALWARE TO RUN ON YOUR XBOX

The addons could screw up your kodi build - but they cannot affect your xbox in any way shape or form - my face is getting blue trying to explain this to you

Iv explained as best I can - I'm out now this is getting frustrating
  • AndyPix
    edited 26 April 2018 at 2:05PM
    It's very unlikely, but it's not 100% impossible.

Also, there's no need to be so rude.

AAARRRGGGHHH !!

Yes it IS 100% impossible - I'm not being rude , its just that people like yourself keep coming out with comments like that above.

I have explained why it is 100% impossible, so for you to respond in the way that you have, please pad out your comment and correct me and tell me how it is even 1% possible - because you are stating that as fact without any explanation.

I live and breath this stuff - I know what I'm talking about !!

I have given technical explanation as to how it is not atall possible.
    Please tell me where I am wrong
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Its interesting that you guarantee no risk at all considering when you put it onto other devices you have to select the from unknown sources thing and then get warned it could be a Risk.
  • AndyPix
    edited 26 April 2018 at 6:17PM
    Unknown sources are just that - unknown
    Other devices can run stuff from unknown sources, and duly notify the risk (of unknown sources - not kodi per-se)

However as you cant download stuff onto xbox from unknown sources - your point is moot

Look, I appreciate your sentiment here, and I blame the media for overhype that has everyone think they can get viruses on everything they own. But this simply isn't the case :)

I have yet to find malware on my ironing board
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Unknown sources are just that - unknown
    Other devices can run stuff from unknown sources, and duly notify the risk (of unknown sources - not kodi per-se)

However as you cant download stuff onto xbox from unknown sources - your point is moot

But builds usually come from unknown sources because those who make them are exactly that. Therefore you must be able to download from unknown sources on a console to get the build.
    I am not actually disagreeing with you and its good that you state your opinion on it. It just means that people can make their own minds up on what to do and for me personally it would need to be more than a persons word on a forum for me to take the chance. Even if as you say it turns out theres no risk.
  • AndyPix
    Builds do come from unknown sources, but they are not running on your xbox, they are running on Kodi.

Kodi is the operating system for the build if you like
    As I said, a bad build could corrupt kodi and make it not run, but it cannot in any way affect your xbox.

This is not my opinion, or my word on a forum .. this is a hard technical fact

I work in IT, have done for 25 years, I have 3 MCSE's (Microsoft certified systems engineer) , a diploma in networking and a qualification in offensive security (hacking techniques) - I know this stuff inside out

You don't need to take my word for it either - go and research for yourself :)
    But please don't state as fact things that you don't understand because as I said, some people reading this might think you are qualified to make those statements when you are not.

Just to be super clear here , and this is not my opinion but this is real world hard technical fact ..

Code not signed Microsoft cannot run on the xbox .. This is baked into the hardware - the chips will simply not run it.
    It isn't like a firestick, or a PC, where you can run anything you like

This means that no matter what, under any circumstances can you get malware on your xbox
  • Lumstorm
    Lumstorm Posts: 242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 April 2018 at 1:58AM
    There have been bad kodi addons in the past that turned your device into a zombie on a botnet. It wouldn't harm your Xbox but your Xbox could be used to attack other sites while running kodi.

kodi was xbmc I have it on old Xbox but there was a risk running xbmc you could screw up the machine by messing with the wrong file. For xbmc to run you had to hack the machine to run unsigned code and download the binaries over irc after asking for permission in chat you got a temporary password to the server. As to remain legal the xbmc team could only provide source code to compile yourself on the website.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Its interesting that you guarantee no risk at all considering when you put it onto other devices you have to select the from unknown sources thing and then get warned it could be a Risk.

You're talking about an android device. You're taking that methodology from a Fire Stick over to an XBox One, with absolutely no regard for the hardware, software and security differences between the two.

You're at more risk of damaging the HDMI port on your TV with a Fire stick, than you are of damaging your XBox. Can you accept this?
  • Chickabiddybex
    Chickabiddybex Posts: 1,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer Savvy Shopper!
    AAARRRGGGHHH !!

Yes it IS 100% impossible - I'm not being rude , its just that people like yourself keep coming out with comments like that above.

I have explained why it is 100% impossible, so for you to respond in the way that you have, please pad out your comment and correct me and tell me how it is even 1% possible - because you are stating that as fact without any explanation.

I live and breath this stuff - I know what I'm talking about !!

I have given technical explanation as to how it is not atall possible.
    Please tell me where I am wrong

Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it's impossible. I'm sure if someone tried hard enough, eventualy they'd find a way to get malware onto an Xbox.

Chill the eff out though dude, who cares even if people online are trying to tell you that grass isn't green and the sky isn't blue? You don't need to freak out about it.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure