Bank Card

Hi,

Bit of a thick question but i haven't changed my account before.

I've just applied for the Nationwide account and am on benefits, it said they would give me a debit card and cheque book.

Will i also get a bank card though? as i can't get out and about very easily the local ATM is a godssend.

Also on the application form it had a tickbox asking if you wanted it to be the main account and if i wanted to switch all my benefits to this account. Will they do it automatically? just don't want to end up with no cash, or it being 'lost' in the system somewhere. Will i have to faff about informing the DSS or is it done for me.?

Great site BTW.

Regards,

Comments

• VickyA_2
    VickyA_2 Posts: 4,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Your debit card is also your bank card, in most cases. eg I have a Switch card, which doubles up as a cheque guarantee card AND a "hole in the wall" card.

Hope that helps.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 #16 £1805.87 declared
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    I've just applied for the Nationwide account and am on benefits, it said they would give me a debit card and cheque book.

Will i also get a bank card though? as i can't get out and about very easily the local ATM is a godssend.

you should get a solo or switch card, it depends on your credit history and what the account offers. Most current accounts will give you a switch if your income is good.

As vicky says, it will probably allow you to use the ATM machine and may also be used as a cheque guarantee card.
    Also on the application form it had a tickbox asking if you wanted it to be the main account and if i wanted to switch all my benefits to this account. Will they do it automatically? just don't want to end up with no cash, or it being 'lost' in the system somewhere. Will i have to faff about informing the DSS or is it done for me.?

Not sure how they would work this...Do you get your benefits paid directly to your account? if so then they are paying you by 'BACS' . Your bank should send an advice off to the originator (ie..DSS) and they should amend their records acordingly.

This may be done by post and paper, in which case there is a small risk that your money may end up say in a suspense account while the correct account is found.

I would advise you to contact whoever will be sending you payments so that they can amend their payment details.

as all banks and B/Socs work differently this is only general advice but hope it helps

x
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• ukric
    ukric Posts: 139 Forumite
    You will either get a Solo, a Maestro or a Visa Debit card, all can be used to withdraw funds from cash machines. You won't however get a Switch card because switch don't exist anymore hence the Maestro card
    Nothing's free.....but we'll see what we can do!
  • Jay-Jay_4
    . You won't however get a Switch card because switch don't exist anymore hence the Maestro card

good point............ old habits and all that ;)

• derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You won't however get a Switch card because switch don't exist anymore hence the Maestro card

I have a SWITCH card,just renewed with IF (Halifax) start date 01/05 end date 08/05.

I believe SWITCH is being replaced,but as I have just received a new card until August this year it still exists
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• Jay-Jay_4
    They're gradually phasing switch out and replacing with Maestro..... it won't happen overnight :)

In some chip and pin machines there isn't an option for switch but, for example, my switch card has the Maestro symbol on it aswell so even though I call it a switch card........ the machine recognises it as Maestro :)

• derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The front of my IF card has SWITCH.and the reverse side has MAESTRO,CIRRUS and LINK, so they are still in existance
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• student100
    student100 Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    HBOS are Switching from Switch to Visa Debit, so the IF card will eventually be replaced with Visa Debit not Maestro.

Anyway, the discussion of Switch in this case is irrelevant since Nationwide only issue Visa Debit cards...
    student100 hasn't been a student since 2007...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure