Thomas Cook Sport Section 75 claim

Options
Guys, would like some advice on a Thomas Cook Sport section 75 claim against Natwest/RBS.

I am trying to claim back £634 paid to Thomas Cook Sport (which is a trading name of Thomas Cook Tour Operations Limited) for a UK packaged football sports booking which included a hotel stay and hospitality tickets purchased on 14th of June 2019 with the actual booking for 30th of November 2019 with my NatWest Credit card.

I initially got an email two weeks ago that they couldn't process my claim and i needed to get in touch with ATOL/ABTA, who advised that they can't help and i need to pursue it with the credit card company. I have now lodged a Section 75 claim and awaiting response from Natwest.

Just wandering if anyone else in a similar situation or for any guidance appreciated.

The worst thing about this whole matter is the package bought was for my wedding anniversary which i have had to but an alternative present. :angry:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 November 2019 at 11:19AM
    Options
    ZL_Batley wrote: »
    Just wandering if anyone else in a similar situation

It's a very niche purchase, so unlikely, but to be fair it would make little difference if they were.

If the purchases cannot be fulfilled, then a section 75 claim should resolve it.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you are not going to get the trip and ATOL give you proof that the bond is not going to pay then there is a chargeback option. No need for S75.
    Life in the slow lane
  • ZL_Batley
    Options
    born_again wrote: »
    If you are not going to get the trip and ATOL give you proof that the bond is not going to pay then there is a chargeback option. No need for S75.

I didnt say ATOL are giving me any proof, all they said was as the package didnt include a flight it is nothing to do with them

With regards to Chargeback option, below is the pointless reply i got from NatWest:

Dear ZL,

Thank you for getting in touch about your dispute with Thomas cook.

About your dispute

We have no direct contact with individual retailers, although in some instances, investigations may be made through MasterCard International, but we are subject to their rules of enquiry and strict time constraints.

Having viewed the details of your dispute, we regret to advise that we are not able to offer any assistance on this occasion. Under MasterCard International rules we may only process a claim when a retailer is unable or unwilling to provide a service which has been paid for. Unfortunately as the service is still available we are unable to continue a dispute on your behalf through MasterCard.

In the circumstances, may we respectfully suggest that you continue to pursue the retailer to try and reach a resolution. You may also wish to seek independent legal advice from your local Trading Standards Office or Citizens Advice Bureau.

What will happen next

Any temporary refund(s) that was made to your account pending investigation will be reversed and reflected on your next statement.

We are very sorry that we can’t continue your dispute but we trust the information supplied clarifies the Bank’s position.

Yours sincerely

Fraud & Chargeback Operations
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 18 November 2019 at 6:07PM
    Options
    Obviously the IDIOT who sent you this letter does not know that Thomas Cook have ceased trading.
    Get back in touch with the bank and remind them of this fact.
    This is a clear case of chargeback for goods/services not provided.

One thought though. You mentioned the purchase of tickets. If you are in possession of these tickets then they should still be valid and you should be able to use them.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ok.

So who exactly took the funds?

I take it that the "UK packaged football sports booking which included a hotel stay and hospitality tickets" are still available?
    Or have you been told that they are not?

A quick google seems to say they may not be as a lot of the clubs involved are contacting customers to try and arrange a replacement.

Which part have you been told you will not be getting?

If they are not then complain to Natwest. Get proof that you will not be getting what you paid for. Best from the club you were going to see.
    I can't see how they can wiggle out of it. Timescales will be from the date of the event.

Natwest are correct they do not contact retailers & any dispute is via Mastercard in this instance.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Terry_Towelling
    Options
    ZL_Batley, as raised by @born again in post #6, who has actually contacted you to say that the services are not going to be rendered?

Obviously TC are not the end supplier of the purchased service, so it is entirely possible that TC will have already paid monies over to the end suppliers (assuming you paid TC and not the end supplier) and that your bookings are still there waiting for you.

Certainly, the transcript of NatWest's reply to you does suggest they too are working on the basis that the service is available to you. Check with the end supplier. Hopefully, you will receive good news.
  • ZL_Batley
    Options
    All, thanks for the replies so far, here is some more context. I haven't received any tickets to the sports event or get confirmation from the hotel to honour the booking. But I have since got in touch with the sport venue and got the reply below confirming they will honour the hospitality tickets but not the hotel booking, i guess i need to contact the hotel too for their feedback before chasing Natwest. I guess the lesson so far is not to give up, i'll keep you posted and also this might help others who have also booked other sports events via Thomas Cook:

Dear ZL
    Booking reference: TCSxxxxx

Following the compulsory liquidation of Thomas Cook, we have been working closely with liquidators to help minimise the impact on supporters where possible and can confirm that we have been able to verify your booking for the Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion fixture.

You have been allocated tickets along with hospitality within The Beat lounge, your ticket(s) will be emailed to you ahead of the game.

Please be advised that we are unable to offer any assistance with travel and accommodation.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Options
    Let us know how you get on contacting the hotel. Fingers crossed they will have your booking and have been paid for it. If they don't honour the booking, you should have no trouble getting a Chargeback done - just try to get something in writing from the hotel if it comes to that.

If you need to pay the hotel again, try your best to get the same rate (or better) as that will avoid any problems with claiming the additional costs back from NatWest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure