Eating in Edinburgh

1111213141517»

Comments

• Alexander Graham Bell on George Street is a really nice Wetherspoon, quite quiet as well.
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    My goodness, surprised to see that this thread that I started, is still alive after all this time. My daughter is now 25 years old and married. Where has the time gone? :eek:

Thought I would pop in again and see what suggestions that you have for a daughter and mother "girlie" (I use the term very loosely in my case :o), couple of days in Edinburgh in June? Been so long since I have been there, as been living in Cyprus for a few years now. Popping back to Scotland for a family wedding, so daughter and myself are treating ourselves, as we so loved our girlie weekends, and don't get the chance nowadays.

Still love all kinds of food, still vegetarian, daughter isn't, but likes veggie food. At least these days you can get veggie food anywhere, so not a big problem. Just like to hear of any really good bars/restaurants. We are staying in the old town, so would prefer eateries in that area. (I'm not getting any younger, and will have enough bother battling with the ups and downs in the old town, without walking miles elsewhere.;) )
  • mvteng
    mvteng Posts: 510 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 April 2012 at 10:10AM
    As you say, veggie generally isnt a problem anymore

David Banns is a purely veggie restaurant, its pretty modern food / decor & preety nice upmarket http://www.davidbann.com/

However, my new favourite restaurant (which caters very well for my veggie wife) is Hamams http://www.hanams.com/. Decor is basic, but food is amazing & very good value.

For italian, missoni is a new addition & is really really nice food, generally pretty expensive, but it is a nice experience, & they're often of 5pm.co.uk

All would need a reservation for fridays or saturdays.

Hope you enjoy
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thank you very much Mvteng, just what I was looking for. Hanam's looks just the ticket, will definitely look that up. Interesting to see the shisha pipe. Not seen that being offered before in Scotland, but very common in North Cyprus and Turkey.

Have been to Bann's in the past, and it's always been good. Missoni sounds lovely, so may give that a try. I don't know why, but Italian restaurants always seem to be expensive, no matter where they are....apart from maybe Italy. :)

Thanks again, you have been most helpful. :T
  • mvteng
    mvteng Posts: 510 Forumite
    If you go to Hanams, remember its BYOB
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks, yes I noticed that. Will pass on info to daughter, so that she reminds me nearer the time. :D
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,894 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Found nice little cafe today on rose street (the rose bud? something rose themed) £3.95 for lunch time special which today was steak and ale pie with mash, fish chips and mushy peas, kedgeree or um something else. DD had pie, I had kedgeree, both good.
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • For all of the Vegetarians (I am one) The Old Hoose is great place for veggie food and has large portions which is cheap!
  • maggiesoup
    maggiesoup Posts: 766 Forumite
    Still think the Pho House bottom of Grove Street (5 mins Haymarket Station) is great value for money and staff are lovely. It's a wee place (approx 30 covers) only opens in the evenings but authentic food.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 August 2017 at 12:56PM
    We had a rather excellent meal at Laila's Bistro near the top of Cockburn St last weekend. Its a new place on me as I've not been into the centre of Edinburgh for a while.

http://lailas-bistro.co.uk

Not the cheapest place of course - considering its location/time of year - £70 for a full meal for two adults and two kids but a pleasant interior, away from the hubbub outside, with really nice young staff who pulled-out the stops to make it a bit special for the boy's birthday. Still unlicensed, the corkage was reasonable and we got a quid-off a bottle of wine from the offie across the road by mentioning their name.

The night before, Mrs Fish and I escaped the kids for a while and had a splendid curry in the Passage to India at the top of Leith Walk - a small place, more or less opposite the Playhouse.

An absolutely splendid curry and pretty reasonable too-boot! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure