PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buyer has asked us to drop house price

We are selling our house and have signed all of the papers in preparation for exchange. Our buyer (first time buyer) has just asked us to drop the price. She’s had some quotes for some work on the house which comes to £3k and she’s asking us to drop the price by the whole amount. We’re not going to agree to that.

What (if anything) would you drop the price by? Some of it is fairly legitimate - damp needs sorting in one of the downstairs rooms, a flat roof needs repairing. Some is definitely more in the cosmetic category - cost to replace a couple of ceilings for example.

We obviously are cautious not to collapse the chain but nor do we feel like we’re willing (or have the cash) to drop by the whole amount.

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    If you want, you could start by saying very politely that you cannot drop the price because then you wouldn't be able to afford the place you are buying.

But it's always best to try to avoid it becoming a confrontation.

Were the problems with your house visible when the buyer viewed - or were they 'discovered' by a surveyor?
  • Thanks eddddy. It’s a bit of a mix. Some stuff like the ceilings were visible, but then the survey has brought up some stuff too. It’s a Victorian terrace so in my opinion you’d be very lucky to find one that has a completely clean bill of health and so to a degree you have to make an offer with that in mind.
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Was your house priced with some cosmetic work needing to be done when first advertised?

The crux is what did the surveyor value the property at?

Reduce if you really feel the need but TBH I would have thought that you should be resisting such a late challenge.

Are the purchasers willing to share their survey detailing the defects and the resulting downing of valuation....if yes then negotiate,if no then hold on to your stance in a polite manner
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • Bass_9
    Bass_9 Posts: 151 Forumite
    My question would be, why has it taken them so long to establish this and ask for the reduction? The time to negotiate this is straight after survey, not just before exchange. If I were you I would ask the EA to question their timing.

Leaving it till this point is just blackmail imo. Really annoys me when I see these threads, hopefully it happens to them in the future so they know how it feels!
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    To be fair to the FTB it could have taken a fair amount of time to get some quotes in.
    50/50 would be the non confrontational suggestion. .
  • ciderboy2009
    ciderboy2009 Posts: 1,157 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    For me it would depeand on two things - whether the surveyor has downvalued the house (ie: below the agreed price) because of it and whether or not the surveyor has said it's critical to get done as a matter of urgency.

Even then I would only consider going 50/50 with them.
  • Do you want to proceed with the sake? Of course, they could just walk away. It's more of a threat to you than to them
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The key really is the surveyor's valuation. If that's said the property is worth the agreed sale price, then that takes the issues he raised into account already.

But, even if it doesn't, it's down to whether you think the buyer is going to walk over £3k. Or, to look at it the other way round, whether you want to risk your sale for £3k. You could take the route of asking the rest of the chain to contribute...

What sort of sale price are we talking about? £3k is a much bigger proportion of a £75k sale than a £750k sale.
  • simpywimpy
    simpywimpy Posts: 2,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    We are in the same situation selling a Victorian terrace. I met them halfway between their two valuations though their mortgage lender has asked for the work to be done before completion which means me having the hassle and expense of doing it so Ive refused that and they are now going with Nationwide instead of Barclays I believe.

I do feel like putting the price back up though tbh considering all the hassle.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    To be fair to the FTB it could have taken a fair amount of time to get some quotes in.
    50/50 would be the non confrontational suggestion. .

If they were genuinely concerned they’d have paused the process, got the quotes, then negotiated.

Letting it get to exchange then trying to drop the price is plain and simple gazundering.

Tell them no!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport