Old empty cards

I find I have a number of old credit cards, with a total credit of over 27k (unused) on them. Which is best for my credit rating - cancelling them, reducing credit limit, or leaving them be ?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You don't have a credit rating.

The answer to what is best depends on what cards you have, your limits, debts, income and future credit plans.
  • pcoventry
    pcoventry Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Post
    My dad has 4 cards with over 100K Limit - all empty he's done this for years and has a top score - does not affect him at all.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The question is why you are asking - what's your end goal. If it's to simply improve a score because you want to get it high as possible, then can't say.
    Cancelling cards may improve your credit rating, or not
    Cancelling cards may lower your credit rating, or not
    reducing limits may lower your credit rating, or not
    reducing limits may improve your credit rating, or not
    Leaving them be might not change it, but who knows, it might!

You need to look at other factors.
    Some people keep cards open for offers, some people close cards to be able to get "new customer" offers. etc
  • sparkey1
    sparkey1 Posts: 444 Forumite
    First Post
    Keep them. It makes your average credit utilisation lower. Here is an example. Person A has one credit card with a limit of £1000 on. He owes £900 quid. He is seen as high risk because he has a 90% debt ratio. Person B also has one card, and owes 1800. Ie Double that of Person A. However person B has a 10K limit, so he is only utilising 18% of his credit. He is seen as lower risk, and potentially is scored higher. Another thing to note, the longer the average card age, the more stable you are considered to be, and therefore that helps with the scoring.

The only time I personally would close a close, would be if they introduced a new annual fee, or if I wanted another type of card from the same lender, and they had a policy on allowing only one card. For example, it may have changed, but Halifax used to let you have only one credit card at any one time.
  • Ok then, credit score.
  • sparkey1
    First Post
    Keep the cards!
  • waveydavey0
    waveydavey0 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Ok, consensus says keep them, so I'm doing that.
  • Dot.007
    Dot.007 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Are they for free? If yes keep them
  • yeah, all zero balance, zero fee.
  • sparkey1
    First Post
    Just so you are aware. Depending on which cards, if they are not used, most lenders will normally close them after a certain time period. Ie 1 or 2 years. So just make one small transaction on each card once or twice per year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure