Non Judgemental Advice Needed Please....

I was made redundant in 2009 and fell into financial difficulties in late 2009/early 2010. Still not out the woods to be honest.

As a result of this, I defaulted on a loan with around £9,000 remaining, I'm pretty sure it was around 2010 or 2011 that I stopped making payments. I then buried my head in the sand, fell into a bit of a sprial with debt and as a result suffered extreme anxiety and mental health issues.

One of the debts was to Clydesdale Bank and in the time I lived at that address I received 1 letter from them regarding it which I ignored in the hope it would go away. I then moved abroad so haven't lived at that address since 2012. I've now returned to the UK and the account now shows as closed on my credit file.

In the past couple of weeks I have had phone calls (to my work mobile number) from a company called Robinson Way regarding this account. I now don't know what the best way forward with this. Reading a bit online I'm pretty sure this debt is Statute Barred but if anybody can offer any advice on this it would be greatly appreciated. Do I need to pay this back?

I don't want any lectures, or being made to feel worse than I do about defaulting on this debt, but any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Have you checked your credit files to see if they have issued a CCJ on the account?

I would be curious how they got your work mobile number too.

Closed doesn't mean the account is settled unless it shows a zero balance but if you are sure it is over six years since you made a payment or acknowledged the debt then you can send Robinson Way (who will be managing the debt) the statute barred letter. However if they have a CCJ in your name that affects the next steps
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,834 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Check your credit report for county court judgements.

If nothing is registered then once they write to you, send the statute barred letter.

Robinson way have probably bought the debt.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Check your credit report for county court judgements.

If nothing is registered then once they write to you, send the statute barred letter.

Robinson way have probably bought the debt for 1p in the £.

Added a bit for you

It's only sad that they haven't lost more money on this.

Generally banks do not pursue debts if they know the debtor has moved abroad. I wonder if this one might have been bought and sold a few times.

Whatever, once they write respond with a letter from this thread:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2606811
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi versace1888

If the debt is statute barred there will be no need to pay it back. An unsecured loan will be statute barred if there has been 6 years (since court action could have been taken) where no payment has been made towards it, you've not acknowledged the debt in writing and no CCJ has been obtained.

If you feel confident the debt is statute barred send them a statute barred sample letter. If you feel it might not quite be statute barred you could send them a prove it letter first to see if they are even able to prove that it's your debt. If you've only had phone calls so far you could wait for them to contact you in writing before you respond.

Fatbelly has sent you a link above where you can find a sample letter.

Best wishes

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure