2017 - moving life forwards

Options

Comments

• coastalchick
    coastalchick Posts: 292 Forumite
    Options
    back from france - was a really good laugh with my very good friends - just what I needed after all the !!!!!iness which has gone on. Had a very frank discussion with the 2 girls on this trip and we all realised that neither of us really have many girly friends as we are not typical girlies but that's why the 3 of us get on so well.

Not sure how much we spent as thought it was easier for 1 person to put everything (supermarket shopping, dinner and lunch out) on card and he will then let us know later on. Though we bought all the breads and pastries in the mornings plus bbq lighters, coals etc so we will get that knocked off.

Did a "big shop" yesterday - was £43 to get us through to friday. That came out of last month's budget so had around £130 left over and divided that up 3 ways to house account, holidays and savings. Got paid today - yay! Took breakfast and lunch from stores today. Had wanted to not spend anything all week but fancied strawberries so ended up getting those and grapes on way home. Then the crisps we like were on BOGOF so total was £5.98/2. Oh and 70p on a can of diet coke out the machine at work but that was out of cash in my purse leftover from last month that seems pointless paying into bank.

Going to try not to spend now, though we will do big shop for next week on friday night so we won't go out. As much as I loved the weekend away I am SO excited about a weekend in! No plans!!!! Just going to get house straight and cleaned! Oh poo, forgot have got a friend and her kid coming round friday for tea/cake so need to buy a cake!!!
  • coastalchick
    Options
    NSD for me! First one for a while. Almost spent 70p on chocolate bar from machine at work but had a hob nob snack bar thing in my desk so had that instead (even though would've preferred chocolate!). But fail on the walk to and from work today and yesterday because of weather. Thus no saving petrol or getting thin!

B has band and a curry tonight. Actually can't wait for him to go out so I can have house to self and more importantly the tv!!!!! Dinner tonight is a meal from 3 for £10 so will cook B's portion as well given he's going for curry and we can chop that up to have in wraps tomorrow.

Aiming for another NSD tomorrow!

Do still worry about money all the time. Also see people driving past me in big fancy cars and wish I could have one/afford not to worry. But then I think it's in my gift to earn more or work 5 days a week but I don't want to cos of my health
  • coastalchick
    Options
    sadly not a NSD. Needed to get cake for friend coming over tomorrow then got her little one some chocolate chip brioche in case she can't have the cake. And needed milk. Then B wanted crisps so got 2 big bags on BOGOF (even though we've still a bag from the other night he said he wanted more yet hasn't even touched them!!!) then got these mini chocolate tart things too. Good job I got a fair bit as girl coming round suggested I invite one of the other girls and her two kids. They are the two girls who I want to stay friends with in that group. Was £8.48 total so £4.24 for my half so not too bad really.

Hoping to get to gym in morning but we have cracked open a red wine. I'm watching a film and B upstairs sorting out his stuff which had been dumped into spare room until now. Trying to sell our old mattress - only a year old so asking £250 but will be happy to get over £100 for it. It's in vgc as only been slept on for a year and with mattress protector.
  • coastalchick
    Options
    didn't make gym, though not cos was hungover (only had about a glass), but cos got up late and needed to clean before friends get here. Almost done with cleaning, just got to dust and then hoover lounge/plump up sofa cushions. Kitchen and bathrooms all done.

NSD so far but we are "big shop" and poss take away tonight so that won't last long. Need to do a list for that. B was supposed to help me but somehow always manages to shirk that one (to be fair he was sorting all his stuff out most of the night upstairs so it's not like he's been sat on his !!!!!)

Nothing in for lunch but can't be bothered to go out any get any. Is a bacon and potato packet thing in cupboard (v unhealthy) which could fry up but may just have cereal given am having cake this pm.
  • coastalchick
    Options
    no point even putting down spending. off scale. we have got a bigger mattress so needed new duvet, protector, covers, pillow cases and got new pillows as ours had mould on from last house (which was damp and horrid). Need a new bed frame so went to shop where i bought mine from in 2009 in hope they still had same one in a bigger size so we wouldn't have to replace side tables but of course they don't. And our bed is in perfect condition. Think we will keep it (but try to flog old mattress) as we will probably make use of it at some point in life and seems a shame to sell it!

Did big shop - shop itself wasn't too bad but added to a lot by need to get outdoor plates as we have lots of people coming round over next few months.

Had to do another shop today as B's mum coming for lunch but also managed to get 8 really good quality burgers for £3.10 as they were reduced to £1.55 for 4 and some sausages half price. We have friends over for bbq next sat so whacked in freezer and will mean don't have to get too much more.

Bought some new clothes. I am now size 14 jeans which makes me v upset. I am usually a 10. And even the 14 are tight. I really do need to do something. Bought a 12 and a 14 and could barely get the 12 on let alone do them up. So they are going back. But a really nice summer dress in a 12 which fit. Thought could wear it for work and play. So total (taking into account jeans going back) was £56.

Also bought some pyjamas but taking those back as just frivolous.

Have so many social engagements over next month or so which can't get out of. All costing.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hey just caught up with you! Glad Madrid and France were fun, sounds like the girls in France are more up your street. I can relate to that, there’s a bit of turmoil between all the girls in my group at the moment, one in particular being really manipulative on another one and it’s creating a bit of a divide….. Some things never change no matter how much older you get!! Shame you have to tolerate her but hopefully she just stays out on the periphery, not sure why she’d come to your house given the situation!

You’re doing the right things regarding weight gain, you’re exercising a bit more and adding veggies to your dinners etc! I’ve started losing weight and have gone vegetarian but beforehand I was very similar, gaining weight and wasn’t sure why…. Think stress and being so busy all the time played a part, easy to just wolf down a pizza than to cook something wholesome, sounds like your meal freezing is working out great too! Just be careful with your back and the gym!
  • coastalchick
    Options
    Hey Sauce - thanks for the comments! Yes, trying to at least make small changes re diet and exercise and totes agree with you re girl situation - it's like being in blinking high school again!!!

Mon night went to gym so £7.20 but was horrid as air con not working (and hasn't been since first went there) and so ended up cutting my session short as I was literally sweating so much my eyes were hurting! Going to email them to ask when it's going to be fixed as same sign been there for ages now. There is gym round corner from me (which is also cheaper membership wise) so going to check that out on weekend as might go there instead. So glad I didn't sign up to a membership for the other one yet.

Yesterday had to go to one of our other offices so was v early start and travelling. Ended up having to buy a wrap (£3.90) but will see if can claim that back so not added to my spending yet. Other office ok but was exhausted when got back then had to go to quiz with B's work. That was £10 each but included a meal and 2 drinks so not too bad. Our team won so B and I trousered 2 bottles prosecco and 2 grab bags of chocolate! So we are up really. Didn't get home until around 1145 so just knackered today and not done a huge heap of work.

Today was NSD though B will get some milk shortly. Been looking at new sofas but are going to see if we can get our existing sofa and loveseat re-upholstered if that would work out cheaper as we love the shape of them and there is nothing really wrong with them bar stains and colour (dove grey). So got a number to call tomorrow and will see what crack with that is. Would be great if it was a lot cheaper.

Have offer for mattress of £180 so we are going to take that - even though we paid over £600 for it just over a year ago is far too firm for us and would cost us to get rid of it. So £180 seems a good deal as often people don't want to buy second hand mattresses but this is in vgc and has always had a topper on it so is pretty much like new. That will go towards new bed frame as really want to keep our existing bed to use in future sometime if we can as it is in such good nick.

B out at band practice so am on sofa watching bloodline but tbh thinking of going to bed soon. This weekend is hectic. To B's mums tomorrow night as it's her birthday. Will be quiet but obv still out. Fri night we are to a friends for dinner. It's the girl I took cake round for a few weeks ago. She and I once shared a house together and she is so lovely. But we kind of stopped hanging out, think because she had 2 little ones and she kind of stopped hanging out with our group (she was in the nice group of the france girls). I did sometimes wonder if it was because she thought my life was too messy and hectic as I went a bit off the rails for a period a few years back because of what went on in my personal life. Anyway, saw her a few weeks ago and since then she's been messaging saying that me and B (who she met briefly in the street once) should get together with her and her husband as she thinks they will get on well. So that's really nice as she was a good friend to me back then and is lovely and her husband is nice too. That should be fairly tame though as with the kids they'll not want to stay up too late. Sat night we are having 2 of B's mate's (a couple) over for a BBQ. They are a lot of fun but MASSIVE drinkers so I am dreading it a bit from that perspective!

Project baby is also back on - waa hoo! It's a bit of a decision because if I have one before mid-may 2018 then I don't get contractual paid leave and I calculated if I wanted to be sure of getting paid leave then we shouldn't start trying until september. However, I turn 39 in September and am not in the best of health generally so am thinking we really should start trying now because if we couldn't have one because I'd decided to wait 2 months for pay then I'd never forgive myself. I do doubt that 2 months will really make a difference but guess I'm just thinking that at my age risk of miscarriage is high so we ought to really crack on. We could afford to go without me being paid for 6 months if we started saving now and cut back on trips and meals out when the baby was born (not that I really want to do that) but it would obv be better if I was paid. But at the end of the day, it really is only money. What would you do?
  • coastalchick
    Options
    Last night was around £15 each as we had to stop and get food for B's mums birthday. We got a bit screwed on that as we were asked to get the most expensive parts of the meal by B's siblings. It's fine but a bit annoying because that's what often happens. I know we earn more but if we have a baby before next may I won't get paid leave so we will be struggling a fair bit (though not sure they appreciate that). Anyway, was a nice evening and we brought some of our food home which we can use for lunches etc so not too bad.

Today it is tipping down!!! Had been hoping for lie in as day off but cat woke me up then !!!!!!ed off and I couldn't get back to sleep! Have unloaded and re-loaded dishwasher, folded dry clothes and put another set of washing on. Currently watching season finale of blacklist then need to get to supermarket to get stuff to bake a cheesecake for my friend's dinner tonight. The one time we have lunch in the house meaning I wouldn't have to go out!!!

Blinds man coming at 2 to fit the broken blind (paid for already) and might try and do a body coach workout today and work on my book. Should go to gym but begrudge paying £7.20 when air conditioning not working.

Got home last night to a final demand (plus fine) re the property I sold in april, despite my having told them I sold it so it is the purchasers responsibility! Have emailed the finer and also copied in the purchasers lawyer as I raised this 2 months ago and they were supposed to sort it. But will also call the finer when they open at 9!!!

Tonight to friends for dinner - really looking forward to it as should be quite chilled. If rain stops may nip into town this pm to take clothes back and pay in a cheque from my dad (£659 woo hoo!) and need some eye make up remover.
  • coastalchick
    Options
    went to get stuff to make cake and not only have philapeldphia clearly reduced the size of their packets so you now have to buy 4 as opposed to 3, it was RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE - £2.71 for a pack and I'd need 4, and that was even before buying the butter, eggs, soured cream, ferrero rocher! They didn't have full fat supermarket own so couldn't even do that! I can't believe that these days its more expensive to make a pudding than buy one!! So anyway I took the view that it would be better to buy one, not least as we are walking there anyway so home made would be a bit of a disaster to transport, esp if still raining! But got a nice one and a pot of double cream so hoping that's ok! Also bought a bottle of red to take with us (on offer) and we already have a bottle of white at home to take. Got 3 for 10 on some fish/chicken for meals next week, plus some milk as we needed some. Total was £23.10 but when think that covers tonight (and we would normally go out or get take out) plus 3 meals for next week it's not too bad.

Having people over for bbq tomorrow who are big drinkers. B has just invited a lone wolf (his wife is away) who is the one who popped in a couple of weeks ago and literally drained us of 8 beers in minutes!!! So dreading the shopping bill tomorrow. We are already covered on burgers so just need another pack of sausages and maybe some chicken, then sides (coleslaw, salad, potato salad) plus rolls which isn't too bad but will need lots of booze! B is asking them to bring booze though so hopefully we will be ok!

I'd always wanted a house I could entertain in but it does become pretty costly. That said, they are good friends of B's so I want to make sure they feel loved!

Sorted out the fine thing and they have assured me the penalty will be cancelled and they will send to right people so that's good!
  • coastalchick
    Options
    to re-upholster the sofa he said around £1800! Could as well buy new for that!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure