husband not paying bills...

not sure if this is the right place ....

my husband my and myself are going thru divorce...
he has moved out and is no longer paying the mortgage (we had a letter for a missed payment) and also received one saying he has now not payed the gas and elec.

there is myself and our 7 year old in the property....all i need now is that he isnt paying the council tax!!

all i recieve are child tax credits etc...

his solicitor told him to take his names off the gas and elec and only leave it in my name...not sure how they can be paid as he no longer provides anything for his son and i pay for him, food etc out of what i can.

i am due to speak to my own solicitor next week however things are slow now due to xmas period..

is there anything else i can do in the mean time?

Comments

• Pee
    Pee Posts: 3,826 Forumite
    Have you claimed for any benefits that you are entitled to? (Without taking his earnings into consideration as he is no longer part of the household.) You are probably eligible for council tax benefit and they certainly need to be notified that there is only one adult in the house.

It would seem to me right that if he isn't living there, and is living somewhere else, that he would want his name off the bills, although he should be paying child support.
  • Kt8
    Kt8 Posts: 255 Forumite
    thanks we are looking at child support- i am posting this on behalf of a friend.

he gets cash in hand also that he is not declaring however the solicitor involved for her is great.

disgusting that he would be prepared for his son to go without light heat and water.

thanks very much again :)
  • Hi kt8

I've moved your post to the Debt free wanabee board where hopefully someone can help as the CAB board is now closed to new questions I'm afraid.

MSE Wendy
    *** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***
  • Butti
    Butti Posts: 5,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    CAB was what I was going to suggest. If you can face it you could go to your local one on Monday and get them to do a benefits check. Go for 8.45 / 9.00. Check opening times first.
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. DEBT FREE APRIL 2021.
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'
    48% off mortgage

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    You/your friend should be signing on for JSA and starting to look for job. Have you/she changed the joint CTC claim from joint to single and claimed CTB?
  • DS4215
    DS4215 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    I think technically he will be jointly responsible for the outstanding amount on any bills that he takes his name off - including council tax - up to the point that he takes his name off. She needs to open a CSA case with him, but they might not have much luck if he is working cash-in-hand. The HMRC might be interested in that particular information though....
  • DS4215 wrote: »
    The HMRC might be interested in that particular information though....

Assuming there is some evidence, rather than mere rumour.
  • jaxsmar
    jaxsmar Posts: 476 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My ex didn't pay the rent or council tax owing approx £1100.00 I put a letter of appeal in and most of the payments got squashed, and reclaimed in my own name. I'm on pre-payment meters for gas an electric I know this isn't cheaper but at least I can budget every week for them. My CSA took approx 8 months, every case if different but the more information she has the better. good luck
    Penny wise pound foolish. 366 days 1p challenge 2020 ✓ 2021 2022 2023 completed.
    No.13 1p a day challenge 2024
    No. 24 52 week savings challenge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family