Clydesdale Bank launches mortgage which allows customers to borrow up to 5.5 times their salary

13»

Comments

• mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    studentguy wrote: »
    Firstly no, in order to be an accredited professional you need qualifications or to prove yourself in the field.

I asked if it was a *requirement* to be professionally accredited to work in IT.

FYI it isn’t.
    Secondly I'm being defensive because there are two people here saying that my profession isn't a profession when it is.

Which people and where?
    You’re getting in a flap because a report in the sun !!!!!! gives a list of some professions and software developer isn’t on it. Well big deal because butcher, postman and lion tamer also aren’t and they could equally be described as professions.

What you aren’t understanding is that the list of professions on the Clydesdale list are probably statistically higher paid and also more likely to be career professions that people stay in for their whole working lives.
    That’s why they are less risky for Clydesdale and why they can offer higher multiples.

It’s a non story that you’re turning into a personal vendetta.
  • studentguy
    studentguy Posts: 188 Forumite
    mrginge wrote: »
    I asked if it was a *requirement* to be professionally accredited to work in IT.

FYI it isn’t.

Which people and where?
    You’re getting in a flap because a report in the sun !!!!!! gives a list of some professions and software developer isn’t on it. Well big deal because butcher, postman and lion tamer also aren’t and they could equally be described as professions.

What you aren’t understanding is that the list of professions on the Clydesdale list are probably statistically higher paid and also more likely to be career professions that people stay in for their whole working lives.
    That’s why they are less risky for Clydesdale and why they can offer higher multiples.

It’s a non story that you’re turning into a personal vendetta.

I'm getting annoyed as I feel like my profession is getting belittled here. Also I wouldn't be so sure about the stats, software engineers tend to be in it for the long haul in my experience.
    Despite my name, I'm not a student any more
  • Westminster
    Westminster Posts: 1,004
    First Post First Anniversary Savvy Shopper! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Pilots don’t need degrees - typically GCSE is sufficient for most jobs these days given the level of demand.

I only have A-Levels and haven’t found any desirable UK based jobs that restrict based on education levels.

You do though require the professional license which currently costs you in the region of £100k in cash and around 18 months of full time training while not having any other income in most cases.

It is then still fairly standard to require specific training for the kind of aircraft you are applying for, which costs another £25k or so (oh and if you haven’t flown on that kind of aircraft for over a year you may need to renew that training - definitely required if it’s been more than 3 years). Some companies pay this for you and others require you to self fund before you join.

Law requires minimum renewal of this training once a year and many companies do it twice a year (due to safety and risk mitigation). Unless you are a self employed freelancer - the renewal training is paid by the employer.

So while my first career was software development (again with no degree) there are no comparable barriers to entry in the same way as those for some of the careers selected by Clydesdale.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure