PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Loft storage

Options
So we finally moved into our new house on Wednesday. We have a pretty big loft, one of the previous owners had boarded the floors.

I’m looking to store stuff like Xmas decks, boxes of empty dvd cases, bags of teddy’s. Quite a bit of stuff but nothing even remotely heavy. Online it says you shouldn’t store anything heavy etc in your loft, would I be ok with what I plan to store as long as I distribute the weight?

Comments

• Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Options
    It'll be fine. My loft is full of stuff and often has my 15 stone bodybuilder son marching around up there looking for things. You are worrying unnecessarily.
  • SallyDucati
    SallyDucati Posts: 560 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When was your house built? If it's an older one (eg. used to have a big heavy water tank up in the loft) you'll be fine. If it's a newer build they are not designed to have much up there. As long as it's nothing heavy you should be fine.
  • Kpossible929
    Options
    It was built in 1960, the cold water tank is in the bedroom above the hot water tank so there are no water tanks in the loft anymore. I think it!!!8217;s one of those FTB panics that I!!!8217;m now responsible of the ceiling falls through etc and I can!!!8217;t just get the landlord to fix it lol
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think the heaviest thing of what you listed would be yourself, so if you feel confident walking/crawling in there should be fine.
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Options
    When was your house built? If it's an older one (eg. used to have a big heavy water tank up in the loft) you'll be fine. If it's a newer build they are not designed to have much up there. As long as it's nothing heavy you should be fine.

Mine is relatively new (2000). Never had any concerns regarding the loft and weight.
  • walwyn1978
    walwyn1978 Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If it's boarded out and it was built in the 60's you should be absolutely fine to wander round up there.
  • Bass_9
    Bass_9 Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah I'm sure you don't need to worry, unless for some reason you have a solid gold Xmas tree I'm sure you'll be fine. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure