Car insurance mid-policy charges

Hi Everyone,

I'm after a bit of advice please. I have my car insurance with LV. Today, I used the online chat to let them know I've changed my address. I moved 60 seconds down the road from my old address (which is 60 seconds further away from the nearest town that could be considered remotely dodgy - it's a lovely area). They want to charge me an additional £299 because apparently my new postcode has a higher crime rating than my old postcode! I ran the statistics myself online and the new postcode has a lower crime rating. I asked to be put on to a supervisor or manager. They refused. They said they had to put through the change today or my policy would be invalid. Apparently I have 7 days to find alternative cover and cancel or start paying an increased monthly premium. I asked to make an official complaint and was told someone would be in touch. I'm not holding my breath.

Any suggestions?? The annoying fact is, they remain the cheapest, so going elsewhere is false economy. But I'm absolutely livid that there is no justification for this increase and I feel like I'm being fleeced :mad:

Thanks
Debbie
HIGHEST DEBT £63,300 LBM 27/5/2020 DEBT FREE DATE 31.08.2022

Comments

• Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You're not being fleeced, as evidenced by the fact they're still the cheapest.

The statistics you can find online are not the same actuarial statistics as insurers use.

Obviously I'm not going to ask you to put your postcode online, but in moving has the first part changed or just the second part?
  • debbie_debt
    debbie_debt Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Only the very last letter has changed. I'm literally round the corner!
    HIGHEST DEBT £63,300 LBM 27/5/2020 DEBT FREE DATE 31.08.2022
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    That is a bit odd then. You've done the right thing in complaining but unless they've made a mistake you might find you're stuck with the higher premium. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure