"Late Payment" on Credit File due to Ombudsman investigation

Hi all,

I have been having an ongoing issue with British Gas since October last year. I believed (and still do) that the final bill they issued me with when I left for another provider was overestimated due to a broken electricity meter (it was recording all electricity usage as day usage rather than split between day and night(, to the tune of around £100.

After getting absolutely nowhere with them, I referred my complaint to the Ombudsman. The Ombudsman ruled in my favour, but in issuing a revised bill B.G. added further electricity units to my total usage. I therefore referred the case back to the Ombudsman, keeping B.G. informed of this throughout the process (copying them in on all emails sent to the Ombudsman). During this process, B.G. referred my account to a debt collection agency and marked my credit file with a "late payment" marker. The Ombudsman ruled in favour of B.G. this time, and so at this point (though I believe it was still a gross overcharge of the electricity actually used) I could no longer face fighting with them. The letter from the Ombudsman said I would hear from B.G. within 30 days. Having not heard anything from B.G. after three weeks (and worrying that if I didn't pay within the 30 days I would be further penalised), I paid what I believed was the outstanding balance. I then got a £5 refund from B.G. as I had overpaid. B.G marked my credit file with another late payment for this month. As you can imagine, my credit rating has been completely obliterated as a result and B.G. have said that they cannot, and will not, reverse the credit file. My husband and I are hoping to buy a house in the next 6 months and this seriously jeopardises our hopes. My question is - is there anything I can do? Can I go to the Ombudsman and ask them to get B.G. to remove the late payments from my file? Or should I put a note on my file myself? Are notes put on your file viewed negatively by mortgage providers?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you can make!
MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023

Comments

• You can email the BG complaints team and ask them to remove the late payment marker.

If they don't, then go back to the FO again.

Your credit rating isn't ruined, since it doesn't exist, but your credit history at the moment is tainted.
  • pinknsparkly
    pinknsparkly Posts: 542 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    !!! wrote: »
    You can email the BG complaints team and ask them to remove the late payment marker.

Your credit rating isn't ruined, since it doesn't exist, but your credit history at the moment is tainted.

Thanks Gary. I've gone back to the BG complaints team and they've said they won't change it. I'll go back to the Ombudsman again. They're going to be sick of the sight of my emails! :rotfl:
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • pinknsparkly
    !!! wrote: »
    You can email the BG complaints team and ask them to remove the late payment marker.

And is there anything you would suggest that I can do to improve my rating? It's so frustrating because I've been so careful to do everything "right" in terms of my rating over the years as I knew I'd want to buy a house at some point!!
  • Nothing.

The scores and ratings are made up.

You can improve your credit files and history - get a phone contract, use a credit card and pay back in full each month.
  • pinknsparkly
    thanks. I already have a phone contract but I use my credit card a bit sporadically so I'll start making sure I use it each month!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure