edundancy by phone call after working with company for 12 years

Options
2»

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    "im not putting an arguement for doing so... so here's my arguement"

The person wanted a question about redundancy procedures.

You went straight for the brexit jugular of this is what you get.

How do you know it's a result of that job losses happened before Brexit too you know? or did you fancy a rant. :money:
    I said no such thing. The only person ranting here is the "leavers". Like you. The reason why relocation to Europe would probably not be a viable alternative, which it might have been in the past, is directly related to the current situation, regardless of why we are in it. For people in similar situations in our union, in the past transferring to another office in Europe would have been an option, and many people did. That is no longer an option, and the lack of a deal on BREXIT that allows this to continue to be an option is the reason. That's a fact. It's a fact whether people voted leave or remain.

I referred to a very specific situation of job losses, and a specific situation of which we have current experience. If you are capable of reading the news you will read others saying the same thing. Today it is Jaguar Landrover. Burying ones head in the sand and ignoring the fact that these things are happening will not present any solutions. You are attempting to resurrect an argument that is over. I am talking about the here and now, and the future. There were consequences to staying in, and consequences to leaving. It is no longer theoretical, so we are left dealing with the consequences of leaving. Are you suggesting that there aren't any, because if you are, you appear to be in a small minority?

Now you've made your points that you are in favour of leaving the European Union, and that you appear to still be engaged in a fight to do so despite the fact that the vote has happened. Meanwhile, the rest of us need to get on with dealing with what is now happening, not what happened two years ago. I'm not discussing this any further with you.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options

From the facts here it does appear the company may not have followed consultation procedures. Is there a union involved?
    To be fair, that isn't clear. The role has been declared redundant and he had been notified of that. Personally, I think a phone call is a poor way of doing it, but we don't know the circumstances. But the call may very well have been "we are deciding to make this role redundant, we wanted to let you know what is happening and we'll be discussing it more with you next week". For a single job, the consultation is rather perfunctory. And, in all honesty, employers have pretty much made the decision by the time they tell people - consultation is more of an opportunity to consider things they may not have thought of rather than a genuine discussion of their employees opinions on the matter. And realistically no tribunal thinks otherwise. So provided they do look at whether there are alternative jobs available etc, then the method of delivering the news is really not much more than a matter of opinion as to the best way to have done it. I wouldn't have done it by phone. But others may think it's kinder - or possibly the only practical way of doing it if HR is based elsewhere?
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So pray, do tell which part of Sangie's post you dispute.

No need to pray, it was in the first line of my first post to this thread (viz., all fine and dandy until the pro-Remain venting at the end). PS - I voted Remain too!
    As one of the most helpful posters here I don't see any particular issue of fact where she is inaccurate.

You may be shocked to hear, but I will click the 'Thanks' button against her posts on occasion, and without Sangie ever doing the same when I politely correct a slight mistake on her part. I even (unironically) welcomed her back to regular posting recently...
  • woolly_wombat
    Options
    I'm very sorry for your son OP. I hope he finds another job soon.

I understood that there had to be some sort of prior consultation with the workforce when redundancies were under consideration. Did this take place?
    sangie595 wrote: »

We are heading more and more stories of this happening. Even in UK companies. Because the only way that they can continue took access the single market and do business with many of their existing clients is to move operations to Europe. There isn't a substantial counter balance happening. Basically, Europe is a bigger market than the UK and many of our companies have no choice but to retain their markets in Europe by relocations.

Highly relevant in the context of the OP having said that their son has "been told his role has been transferred to an office in Europe".

I pray that one of my offspring (working in creative service sector, not protected by proposed agreement) will not be made redundant but, realistically, OH and I have very real concerns that this could be a reality that she may have to face too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure