The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Bad credit rating

I have a very poor credit rating due to being a fool when i was younger, recently i tried gaining credit but was turned down. I was wondering if, paying back my debts now, albeit late would increase my rating enough to be considered/accepted for a mortgage? any insight into this would help so much. thanks.

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You really need to see the status of your credit file first before anyone can help you.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,045
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    What McKneff said.

The other thing to bear in mind here is that you will need a more/less perfect rating before being able to gain a mortgage. I'm having problems remortgaging our BTL's at the moment, as even though there's nothing adverse in the payment history, I have personal guarantees on a large amount of business finance, which has to be declared also. I've traditionally been a high earner.

If a lender doesn't like anything on the report, it may lead to problems later on, so assuming things stay the way they are, you may have difficulties gaining anything until it drops off the file, as it's a truthful representation of your past finances.

Every time I go into the bank to do a few routine transactions, I'm told that I'm entitled to an extra £xx000 on an OD/CC or £50000 on an unsecured loan (I think the total I'm offered in Internet Banking is about £90k more than I have access to,) but the same bank won't remortgage risk they already have. Different products have different procedures.

CK
    💙💛 💔
  • CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    Luke_B wrote: »
    I have a very poor credit rating due to being a fool when i was younger, recently i tried gaining credit but was turned down. I was wondering if, paying back my debts now, albeit late would increase my rating enough to be considered/accepted for a mortgage? any insight into this would help so much. thanks.

Hi Luke - our CAB reprentatives have been covering credit ratings on the board and we'd recommend taking a look at the information that we've got on our Adviceguide website, and also requesting a copy of your credit file. If you need any more help after that, we'd suggest contacting your local bureau.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure