SIPP management ongoing - where to even start?

Options
Hi all

I have a SIPP with Legal & General, which is my workplace pension. I pay in about £400 per month from gross salary and my employer adds a further £1k to that, annually about £18k of contributions. I’ve had it for about 7 years and the total pot is currently sitting at about £150k, made up of monthly contributions and a one off contribution I made of £25k last year for tax purposes. The monthly contributions are % salary based and my salary has about doubled in the 7 year period so the contributions have increased accordingly.

From my last statement it looks like the value grew by £8k over the course of 12 months, which on the surface of it looks pretty decent to me as a percentage of the total base - however really I’ve no idea if that’s true as only basing that off simple maths and current interest rates.
I am conscious that I have never actively managed it so it may be completely unoptimised, but don’t really know where to start, apart from visit an IFA I suppose?
Curious as to how others manage their pensions ongoing.

Mine is invested in a Lifestyle Fund with L&G, it’s called Gbl Eq FW 50:50/PreRet 5yr LS. I can see how it’s split between UK and non-UK, sector percentages, top holdings etc. But there are also about another 20 lifestyle funds I could choose and that’s before looking at managing it outside of lifestyle funds.

For what it’s worth, I am mid 30s, so another long while before retirement... also I have circa £70k sat in another pension from a previous employer, no idea how that’s invested or whether I should merge them, so that should also form part of my review.

Any thoughts, advice, pointers welcomed to help with where to start.
Thank you!

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not everyone on here will agree because of the bias of this site, but I have an IFA manage my portfolio for 0.5%.
    They review quarterly (Or ad-hoc if there is a major event) and I get a report which talks about asset allocation etc. And let’s me know whether they recommend any fund switches or not.
    It’s diversified amongst asset classes and currencies in a much more knowledgeable way than I could do myself.
    My IFA also gets institutional rates on the funds.
    I also get any advice I need included for free so they deal with my other old employer pensions for free and I’m having a face to face with them shortly to plan retirement.

Basically your choices are DIY or pay an advisor.

I prefer to pay because
    1) I have to do very little
    2) it’s not an easy job and requires a lot of effort DIY. Some will say they do very little but they must have invested a lot of effort to get to that point.
    3) it not my bag. If you enjoy something and find it fun then it doesn’t feel like work. If you don’t like doing it then it’s a chore.
    4) I think my IFA with access to the entire organisation (it’s not one guy it’s a committee thing) are likely to do a better job and therefore there is lesS risk.
    5) if you are ill or on holiday when there’s a major event e.g. 9/11 then you won’t be able to react DiY. Actually my arrangement needs me to react but only to send an email saying yes. There are (more expensive) services where they can act independently of you. But bear in mind that DiY is dependent on you not neglecting the portfolio when anything happens in your life (like moving house or dealing with a close family funeral or elderly care).

Not trying to persuade anyone but this works well for me and For me it’s good value for what I believe will probably be a better result than DIY for me.
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a SIPP with Legal & General, which is my workplace pension.

Now that is a rare beast. Its rare to see any workplace offer a SIPP but an L&G SIPP is even rarer.
    Mine is invested in a Lifestyle Fund with L&G, it’s called Gbl Eq FW 50:50/PreRet 5yr LS.

Which does beg the question of why a SIPP is being used and not a group personal pension or group stakeholder pension.
    as only basing that off simple maths and current interest rates.
    interest rates have nothing to do with it.
    I am conscious that I have never actively managed it so it may be completely unoptimised, but don’t really know where to start, apart from visit an IFA I suppose?

It's in a lazy fund. That is not meant in a bad way but it is a fund that is designed to be held by people who do not do anything on the investment side. So, it seems to fit you in that respect.

You either use an IFA or you DIY. If you DIY, then you need to understand what you are doing or you could make costly mistakes. Or you can stick with a simple multi-asset fund, as you have done and leave it in there.
    But there are also about another 20 lifestyle funds I could choose
    Along with nearly 30,000 other options as its a SIPP.
  • karie
    karie Posts: 483 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you both. It sounds like an IFA is probably the option.

Lisyloo what is the fee you pay based off? The return they make for you or the total value of the portfolio?

SonOf, hopefully I’ve described it correctly, but I’m certain it is a SIPP (to which both I and the employer contribute). It’s always been with L&G I believe. I feel like I may have chosen the fund selection at initial set-up - think I might have been asked about my appetite to risk at the time or something like that. And I’ve never moved it since.

It may not have anything to do with interest rates but how do I get a feel for whether an £8k improvement based on performance of the fund is good or bad?
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SonOf, hopefully I’ve described it correctly, but I’m certain it is a SIPP (to which both I and the employer contribute). It’s always been with L&G I believe. I feel like I may have chosen the fund selection at initial set-up - think I might have been asked about my appetite to risk at the time or something like that. And I’ve never moved it since.

In the overall scheme of things, it doesnt really matter what type of pension it is. However, a SIPP is the most advanced pension option and has a lower level of consumer protection compared to stakeholder and personal pensions. L&G are more known for providing Group personal pensions, group stakeholder pensions and occupational money purchase schemes. They are not well known for SIPPs let alone group SIPPs.

Knowing what type of pension you have is part of the learning process if you intend to DIY.
    t may not have anything to do with interest rates but how do I get a feel for whether an £8k improvement based on performance of the fund is good or bad?

By comparing with its peers in the identical period (and it has to be identical - just a few weeks out could change the position significantly). It is important to compare like for like. There is no point comparing a low risk fund with a fund at a different risk level and saying one is better than the other.
  • karie
    karie Posts: 483 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’ve double checked and it’s definitely a SIPP. Was doubting myself!

Well a good place for me to start would be to understand the different lifestyle funds available instead of the one I’m currently in. Worth some initial research before I go much further, so I think I’ll start there.
  • stroke
    stroke Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, maybe worth watching the 'Investing Demystified Video Series' by Lars Kroijer for research :)
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,134 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Curious as to how others manage their pensions ongoing.
    The large majority do not manage their pensions at all and have no clue about them , or what the money is actually invested in . They are a mystery for most of the population. It is good that you are beginning to take an interest, especially as the sums involved are becoming more substantial .
    If you go to an IFA , then look for a local small firm . Avoid large nationally based wealth management services as they are significantly more expensive. To answer your question about charging . Normally they charge a % of your funds under management . They do not have a performance related fee as however well managed your funds are, they can still go down if markets sink .
    Even if you do not want to DIY, the more knowledge you have , you will find it easier to understand what the IFA says and assess the choices offered. So could be worth doing more background research before approaching an IFA.
    also I have circa £70k sat in another pension from a previous employer, no idea how that’s invested
    Suggest you find out .
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    As SonOf says, your saying it is a SIPP is very surprising as your fund is a pension fund rather than a unit trust/OEIC and the 5 year lifestyling which appears to be a feature of one of L&Gs Group Personal Pensions employer schemes.

If you want to start managing your own retirement and perhaps other financial affairs I suggest the following strategy:
    1) Understand what you have now
    Assuming you knw nothing at the moment: The fund you give appears to be L&G Global Equity Fixed Weights 50:50 Index Pension Fund with Life Styling from 5 years before your stated retirement date.

The Global Equity bit means it is 100% invested in world wide shares. Given you are say 30 years from retirement this is a sensible choice. During the next 30 years the fund value will possibly have falls of up to 50% during a major crash but the overall trend will be up. During the falls your contributions will buy more shares so you will need the mindset to regard them as an opportunity rather han a disaster. Equity is the most certain way of ensuring that the returns on your investments exceed inflation.

Fixed Weights means that the fund manager has decided to allocate fixed %s of your money to the various parts of the world. This is a reasonable approach

50:50 means that one of the fixed %s is the 50% allocated to UK companies with 50% allocated elsewhere. This was common say 20 years ago but now many investors would consider this is too much UK. The problem is that there are very few large UK companies in the major growth technology sectors. So the UK has generally underperformed the rest of the world over the past 10 years.

Index means that within each geographic area companies are held in proportion to their size using the appropriate Index such as the FTSE100. This is a common approach as it is simple and cheap to implement. There may be arguments whether this is optimal but for your purposes it is very sensible.

5 year lifestyling means that once you are within 5 years of retirement the pension money is gradually moved into very safe but low return investments. This is highly desirable if you intend to spend all your money on an annuity but much less so if you plan to drawdown over many years directly from the pension pot. However it doesnt matter at the moment since you are many years from retirement.

2) Where do you want to be?
    For retirement, this is when do you want to retire and how much income will you need. From this you can estimate how much money you will need in your pension pot.

3) How to get there
    What sort of investments should you be using and how much should you be contributing to achieve your required pension pot?

4) Implementation
    ISAs or Pensions, SIPPs/Personal Pensions/Employer Pensions. Which funds. etc etc.

If you can acquire the knowledge and understanding to go through the steps from (1) to (4) yourself then you may not need an IFA. You will learn a lot in the process. If you use an IFA you will go through the process quicker, be less likely to make mistakes, but incur fees and perhaps learn less.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,134 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As SonOf says, your saying it is a SIPP is very surprising as your fund is a pension fund rather than a unit trust/OEIC
    If you look at the Standard Life SIPP 'Level 1' it is indistinguishable from the Standard Life Active money personal pension . The 'SIPP' only contains SL funds .
    So it is called a SIPP, but isn't one by the normal definition we would use. Same as with the new Vanguard 'SIPP' . Could be the same for this L&G 'SIPP' .
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    karie wrote: »

It may not have anything to do with interest rates but how do I get a feel for whether an £8k improvement based on performance of the fund is good or bad?

There'll always be something else that has performed better in the short term. Focus on the future.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure