LBM - 26/11/19
Loans/Cards - £47k - 11/12/19
Mortgage - 99k - 11/12/19
HP - £11.5k - 11/12/19

Comments

• 790hero
    790hero Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    This is me, I am reckless with money, and my job has big ups and downs which allows big spending and debt to rack up!

I am currently planning how to get rid of my £47k of debt.
    LBM - 26/11/19
    HP - £11.5k - 11/12/19
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    You might want to add some back story to give some context.

is income variable
    is it really just 2 people, one a child and 3 cars?
    what was the loan(£31k) and HP(£12k)
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Comments in red as usual
    790hero wrote: »
    Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 1
    Number of children in household......... 1
    Number of cars owned.................... 3 Explanation/background needed for this number, allowing that you can only use one at a time, and that you are in debt...

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 4600
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 4600

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 454
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 199 What's this relating to?
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 100
    Electricity............................. 90 All heating by electric I assume? Storage heaters? If so it is still probably possible to reduce this a little.
    Gas..................................... 0
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 30 Metered? If so you can probably reduce a bit
    Telephone (land line)................... 75 Why so much? This is very high.
    Mobile phone............................ 0 No mobile at all?
    TV Licence.............................. 0 Do you only watch streamed content and never from iPlayer?
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 20
    Internet Services....................... 0 Is this included elsewhere?
    Groceries etc. ......................... 350 This is super-high for a family of two, particularly with one of the two being a child.
    Clothing................................ 150 Oh for goodness sake - why so high?
    Petrol/diesel........................... 400 That suggests you are massively high mileage.
    Road tax................................ 40
    Car Insurance........................... 35 And this seems extremely low for three vehicles?
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 200 Allowing for the very high mileage be sure this is enough to cover everything.
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 0
    Childcare/nursery....................... 30 This seems very low when taken into account with your income and mileage - the mileage indicated by the fuel spend suggests a job that requires a fair bit of traveling about?
    Other child related expenses............ 0 Nothing? No clubs or activities?
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 10
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 37
    Buildings insurance..................... 35 This is high
    Contents insurance...................... 0 I hope this is zero because it is lumped in with the buildings cover?
    Life assurance ......................... 0 This needs sorting - bluntly. You have a mortgage and a child, and it appears you are a single parent. Add those things together and THAT is why you need something here, I'd suggest.
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 0Unrealistic - I find it highly implausible that someone doesn't buy presents for their child, at least.
    Haircuts................................ 15
    Entertainment........................... 600 And this is extortionate. I'm debt and mortgage free and spend nowhere near that amount in several months, never mind one!
    Holiday................................. 0 You never go away at all? Not overnight visits to family or a cheeky weekend away, that sort of thing?
    Emergency fund.......................... 0 You MUST start budgeting something here
    Total monthly expenses.................. 2870

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 220000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 3000 You're showing 3 vehicles above - how is this figure so low?
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 223000

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Mortgage...................... 100000...(454)......3
    Hire Purchase (HP) debt ...... 12000....(199)......8
    Total secured & HP debts...... 112000....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    cards..........................9100......200.......20 That interest rate is horrible
    cloths.........................950.......100.......0 Is this more clothing spends, in addition to the £1800 a month you have budgeted? A Catalogue by any chance?
    loan...........................31000.....656.......14 What on earth is THIS for? It's horribly high and at a truly hideous rate for a loan.
    Parents........................5500......250.......0
    Total unsecured debts..........46550.....1206......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 4,600
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 2,870
    Available for debt repayments........... 1,730
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 1,206
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 524 I'm going to lay odds that no, you don't have this amount left each month...

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 223,000
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -112,000
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -46,550
    Net Assets.............................. 64,450

Well - the good news is that there is an awful lot you can do there to make savings. The bad news is that - if you'll pardon me saying it - I'm not sure how much you want to. Sorry if that seems harsh - but being reckless with money is not something to come across as proud about. For a single person with no dependents that would be true - for someone with a child, that is doubly true.

If you actually want to tackle this, then the first thing is to get brutally honest with yourself. It's not that you are "reckless with money" - it's that you're irresponsible. I know that's not quite such a glamorous sounding label - but I'm afraid it's a more accurate one. Start to take responsibility starting now and you can easily turn this around on that sort of income. Ignore it a bit longer and it will become that much harder to tackle. Have a think what happens should anything go horribly wrong with your job - where are you left then? You have nothing in the bank to cover emergencies, and certainly no way of covering expenditure if you were without work for a few months.

There are easy savings to be made on that SOA which would top your monthly surplus up to over £1k a month. That means that if you instigate those savings, in just one month you can knock more than 10% off the amount owing on the cards - which thanks to the interest rate there is the first thing to tackle. If you wanted to you could make further savings and pay off an even higher percentage. That food spend could, with work, be halved (And you'd likely be eating better as a result too). The clothing - switch to budgeting for essentials only for the foreseeable future and even if you need to ensure you have savings set aside for replacement of a decent suit, for example - you can still easily cut that by £100 a month. The entertainment spend - well, you already know, I suspect, that spending over £7,000 a year on entertainment when you are £46k in debt is ludicrous. Slash it. Start seeing all the things to do in the world which are free - and you have the added advantage of introducing your child to those things too - thus meaning you are not giving them unrealistic expectations of normality.

The beauty of an SOA with great big savings to be made and a big income to boot is that even a high amount of debt like yours is an easy fix - but it won't fix itself. Put the work in and within a few years you could be in the position of hammering down your mortgage with overpayments.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • 790hero
    Options
    Comments in red as usual

Well - the good news is that there is an awful lot you can do there to make savings. The bad news is that - if you'll pardon me saying it - I'm not sure how much you want to. Sorry if that seems harsh - but being reckless with money is not something to come across as proud about. For a single person with no dependents that would be true - for someone with a child, that is doubly true.

If you actually want to tackle this, then the first thing is to get brutally honest with yourself. It's not that you are "reckless with money" - it's that you're irresponsible. I know that's not quite such a glamorous sounding label - but I'm afraid it's a more accurate one. Start to take responsibility starting now and you can easily turn this around on that sort of income. Ignore it a bit longer and it will become that much harder to tackle. Have a think what happens should anything go horribly wrong with your job - where are you left then? You have nothing in the bank to cover emergencies, and certainly no way of covering expenditure if you were without work for a few months. I should have added, my business has enough to pay me for the next 3 months, but didn't include it as I haven't drawn it yet

There are easy savings to be made on that SOA which would top your monthly surplus up to over £1k a month. That means that if you instigate those savings, in just one month you can knock more than 10% off the amount owing on the cards - which thanks to the interest rate there is the first thing to tackle. If you wanted to you could make further savings and pay off an even higher percentage. That food spend could, with work, be halved (And you'd likely be eating better as a result too). The clothing - switch to budgeting for essentials only for the foreseeable future and even if you need to ensure you have savings set aside for replacement of a decent suit, for example - you can still easily cut that by £100 a month. The entertainment spend - well, you already know, I suspect, that spending over £7,000 a year on entertainment when you are £46k in debt is ludicrous. Slash it. Start seeing all the things to do in the world which are free - and you have the added advantage of introducing your child to those things too - thus meaning you are not giving them unrealistic expectations of normality.

The beauty of an SOA with great big savings to be made and a big income to boot is that even a high amount of debt like yours is an easy fix - but it won't fix itself. Put the work in and within a few years you could be in the position of hammering down your mortgage with overpayments.

Thank you - and yes on most point you are quite right. I rarely have any money left at the end of the month

I'll try to clarify your points below but my formatting might be a bit out

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information
    Number of adults in household........... 1
    Number of children in household......... 1
    Number of cars owned.................... 3 Explanation/background needed for this number, allowing that you can only use one at a time, and that you are in debt...I run two cars (one as a spare) and have a classic car. Family heirloom and not saleable, niether does it cost anything to run

Monthly Income Details
    Monthly income after tax................ 4600
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 4600

Monthly Expense Details
    Mortgage................................ 454
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 199 What's this relating to? Motorbike HP
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 100
    Electricity............................. 90 All heating by electric I assume? Storage heaters? If so it is still probably possible to reduce this a little. APologies, gas and electric combined as I only have one bill. I work from home so the cost is a little higher
    Gas..................................... 0
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 30 Metered? If so you can probably reduce a bit, yes, metered
    Telephone (land line)................... 75 Why so much? This is very high. - this is my mobile, I have no landline
    Mobile phone............................ 0 No mobile at all?
    TV Licence.............................. 0 Do you only watch streamed content and never from iPlayer? Yes, mainly youtube
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 20 - netflix and spotify
    Internet Services....................... 0 Is this included elsewhere? My business pays for this
    Groceries etc. ......................... 350 This is super-high for a family of two, particularly with one of the two being a child. GEnerous estimate - and that includes all household items
    Clothing................................ 150 Oh for goodness sake - why so high? Oh god I thought this was low!
    Petrol/diesel........................... 400 That suggests you are massively high mileage. 20kpa minimum
    Road tax................................ 40
    Car Insurance........................... 35 And this seems extremely low for three vehicles? two are insured through the business
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 200 Allowing for the very high mileage be sure this is enough to cover everything. I do all the work myself, I also break cars to pay for the running of them.
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 0
    Childcare/nursery....................... 30 This seems very low when taken into account with your income and mileage - the mileage indicated by the fuel spend suggests a job that requires a fair bit of traveling about? I have my daughter 50/50 and tend to time my time away for when I don't have her
    Other child related expenses............ 0 Nothing? No clubs or activities? I lumped this in with entertainment
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 10
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 37
    Buildings insurance..................... 35 This is high - includes contents and not something I am willing to budget on
    Contents insurance...................... 0 I hope this is zero because it is lumped in with the buildings cover?
    Life assurance ......................... 0 This needs sorting - bluntly. You have a mortgage and a child, and it appears you are a single parent. Add those things together and THAT is why you need something here, I'd suggest.
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 0Unrealistic - I find it highly implausible that someone doesn't buy presents for their child, at least. Yes, sorry, missed this one.
    Haircuts................................ 15
    Entertainment........................... 600 And this is extortionate. I'm debt and mortgage free and spend nowhere near that amount in several months, never mind one! I realise this is a major problem, I go out a lot. I also have a binge drinking problem
    Holiday................................. 0 You never go away at all? Not overnight visits to family or a cheeky weekend away, that sort of thing? I tend to just pay for them when I need to, as I say, I can find a lot of money sloshing around in my account from time to time, which is why my spending is hard to control, my brain just tells me i'll earn more
    Emergency fund.......................... 0 You MUST start budgeting something here. I do, then it gets spent.
    Total monthly expenses.................. 2870

Assets
    Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 220000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 3000 You're showing 3 vehicles above - how is this figure so low? 2 are worth about £1500 each, the other isn't for sale, so not included. It would be about £30k
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 223000

Secured & HP Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Mortgage...................... 100000...(454)......3
    Hire Purchase (HP) debt ...... 12000....(199)......8
    Total secured & HP debts...... 112000....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    cards..........................9100......200...... .20 That interest rate is horrible. Tell me about it.
    cloths.........................950.......100...... .0 Is this more clothing spends, in addition to the £1800 a month you have budgeted? A Catalogue by any chance? No, Combination of a new motorcycle helmet and a matress
    loan...........................31000.....656...... .14 What on earth is THIS for? It's horribly high and at a truly hideous rate for a loan. Consolidation of debt when I wasn't earning for 18months (setting up my business)
    Parents........................5500......250...... .0
    Total unsecured debts..........46550.....1206......-

Monthly Budget Summary
    Total monthly income.................... 4,600
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 2,870
    Available for debt repayments........... 1,730
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 1,206
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 524 I'm going to lay odds that no, you don't have this amount left each month... You are absolutely correct.

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 223,000
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -112,000
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -46,550
    Net Assets.............................. 64,450

So in summary the bulk of the debt was accrued when I went from full-time employment to self employed, and didn't earn much at all for 2 years. Now I am earning I'm finding the mental side of paying debt down, and not still living beyond my means extremely difficult. It gives me incredible anxiety which then in turn affect my work, which affects my earnings etc etc. Spending money is one of the few things that makes me feel better, and banishes my insecurities until the horrible guilt descends.

I am certainly not proud of it, mostly disgusted.

I have the lightbulb moment so many times, and then as soon as a chink of light appears, off I go spending again.
    LBM - 26/11/19
    HP - £11.5k - 11/12/19
  • 790hero
    Options
    You might want to add some back story to give some context.

is income variable
    is it really just 2 people, one a child and 3 cars?
    what was the loan(£31k) and HP(£12k)

Income is variable, but this is pretty much the base line
    Just me, 3 cars and a motorbike and my daughter
    Loan - debt consolidation (explained in above post) and HP is a bike I bought almost completely on a whim because I couldn't live another day without one.
    LBM - 26/11/19
    HP - £11.5k - 11/12/19
  • EimearF
    EimearF Posts: 203 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think you should contact your GP and see if you can get a referral to a counselor for the anxiety , compulsive spending and binge drinking.

Good luck on your journey, keep reading these boards as people give great advice.
    Light Bulb Moment 13/09/17: Non- Mortgage Debt £42295; 01/04/19: £13645; 01/10/19: £9707; 01/11/19: £5525; 14/01/20: £883
    27/01/20: DEBT FREE!!!

Mortgage Free Wannabee: £58595 to pay by August 2025
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    OK - another good thing from this then - you understand that debt consolidation is not a solution to the problem which is good. It's not a great way to have learned it, but still, at least you know!

I think the first thing you need to do is address the drinking issue, if I'm honest. Only you know what might sort that out, but some thoughts that spring to mind: 1) The effect on your child if they learn about it 2) add up the total estimated cost over the year and write that figure down in big black letters and then think about it for a while. Regardless of whether you can afford it, do you want to be spending that amount on, in effect, nothing? well done for being brave enough to be open about that issue here, by the way.

OK - some comments from YOUR comments on the SOA then:
    - A "spare" car? That's a first! Also your SOA should say 4 vehicles, not 3, allowing for the bike!
    - Have a think about whether you *really* can't live without the bike, or whether it's just a toy that's nice to have (allowing that you have 2 cars plus the classic, especially).
    - Your business having enough to pay you for three months is great BUT you already know you can't live within your means easily - now think, if you trim your lifestyle perhaps that three months pay would actually stretch to six...or more....doesn't THAT feel a lot more secure?
    - Clothing. No - £150 a month is a lot. An awful lot. It's a lot if you don't have debt - but if you do, it's an AWFUL lot. You can't possibly be so hard wearing on clothes that you have to replace items every single month, so more likely you're buying big-name items. Have a think about what you actually need, going forwards, and budget an amount monthly for those things. Set that aside and then the money is there when you need new socks. ;)
    - Insurance - nobody is suggesting you skimp on it, it just appeared from your SOA that you were overpaying on buildings cover while not having contents at all.
    - Your mobile bill is high If you are paying for a specific business tariff bear in mind they are often significantly more expensive without giving you any advantages over a regular tariff. if you are approaching the end of a contract have a look at SIM only deals.
    I tend to just pay for them when I need to, as I say, I can find a lot of money sloshing around in my account from time to time, which is why my spending is hard to control, my brain just tells me i'll earn more

And that is why you need to budget. Currently, as things stand, you clearly don't have spare money at ALL - as if you did, you wouldn't still have the debt. what you have currently is a lot of standard living expenses that you need to cover, and then everything that's left gets wasted. Utterly wasted. Have a look at what you have to show for over £1000 a month being spent (between the surplus you don't have, and the entertainment budget) - think back to the last month,l what actual, concrete "stuff" can you put a hand on and say "well I bought this thing and it brings me joy?". You MIGHT earn more - but there was a 2 year period a while back where you struggled with earning - remember that and remember that it could happen again - even the very best businesses can run into problems outwith their control.

So start budgeting properly. Not the "generous estimate" of a daft amount for groceries, but an actual "I have £180 this month for food and household things and that is all I can spend". I could give myself £300 a month to feed the two of us, and I'm sure I could spend that, but budgeting isn't about setting a top target to aim for, it's about setting a lower one and then living within it. It's a bit like speed limits on the motorway - just because you CAN drive at 70 doesn't mean you always should. There might be standing water, fog, or a lot of other traffic about which means that you apply common sense and slow down, not just plough on regardless. I'll give you a grocery figure to start with - I feed two adults for £175 a month tops, and that includes meat from the farmers market not the supermarket, general cleaning stuff and quite a few bits of toiletries as well as the food shopping. we eat mighty well for that too - with pretty much everything cooked from scratch and decent quality ingredients. I could do it a lot cheaper if I needed to - and indeed have done.

I'm going to suggest you have a "take 2" at the SOA. Get things in the right category, add in the bits you're missing. have a proper think about what you really want to be spending and make this one the first take at a budget to start living to, now that your eyes have been opened about your current situation.

On the emergency fund, start taking it seriously. If it helps, then tell yourself it is only to be touched in the event of a life or death emergency relating to your daughter - dress it up in your own mind as hers, not yours, so not to be touched on a whim.

On those occasions that you "find a lot of money sloshing about in your account" transfer it across to pay a chunk off the debt rather than leaving it there or just seeing it as there for spending.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Jami74
    Jami74 Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    :eek: £150 a month for clothes? I don't spend that on myself in a year :rotfl: . Although I've only just started earning more than my outgoings and am still twitchy about anything that costs more than about £15.

What helped me, before I even consciously made any proper spending changes, was to log every single penny I spent, on a spreadsheet under different columns. In the beginning it annoyed me when I had to log a spend for something completely wasteful. Over time I saw where the money was going and started to plan better.

It's not really a quick fix, sorting out spending and paying debt/acrueing savings, more an ongoing project.

Good luck.
    Debt Free: 01/01/2020
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    A slightly different way of thinking about things is to aim to make each monthly wage to last two months - the present month and paying back one of the months when you weren't earning. This would, in theory and mostly ignoring interest, get you out of debt as fast as you got into it. So you have £4600 coming in - make that £2300 for present living and £2300 towards the debt (minimum payment and overpayment). To do this you would need to cut down on your spending a bit, but not impossibly and probably make debt payments early in the month to get the money out of your sight!

Either you are doing a lot more than 20k miles, you have very low mpg or you have overstated fuel costs. Why is fuel on your personal SOA and not a lot of it covered by your business?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • 790hero
    Options
    Thank you for the input, I'm having a sit down tonight where I'll look at where I can trim down the outgoings, and maybe consolidate two cars into one.

The bike is on HP, so it may have to stay as I imagine I'll be underwater on it. The stark reality is my spending on cars, bikes and drinking this year would have seen a good £20-25k come off that debt.

Time to start thinking about future me, and not borrowing against him.

I'll come back with an updated SOA, I do use monzo so tracking my last three months spending will be quite straightforward.
    LBM - 26/11/19
    HP - £11.5k - 11/12/19
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business