Air Norwegian Claim - Thoughts

Options
Hi guys,

I've made a claim for Norwegian Air, it's to do with a flight I had back from Tenerife South near the end of September.

Basically, what happened... We were on the runway speeding to take off and me and a friend and a few people behind us noticed a fire break out on the left wing, it was spurting flames out, we all had to stand up and shout to stop the airplane. We were sat on the runway for a good 45-50 minutes with the engine turned off.. Finally we were taken off the plane and put into the waiting area for another 2 hours + without anything from Norwegian air. Finally 3 hours later they organised hotels for us, this was about 2AM. We went to the hotel and then was back at the airport for 8 for our other flight (16 hours later) this flight was then delayed another 2-3 hours..

Turns out when we got of the bus to get on the plane it was the same one that caught fire, captain said it was an fuel oil leak. (Obviously the plane was half empty as no one wanted to get on a plane that caught fire on the runaway.

Anyway, all i've gotten back from them after 6+ weeks is an automated response, should I chase this up and also do I have grounds for a complaint?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Luke1066
    Options
    Why do you feel you have grounds for a complaint?
  • JosephK
    JosephK Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The aircraft had a problem, Norwegian dealt with it appropriately, the problem was fixed. Would it have flown if the captain was still unhappy?
  • iarniee
    Options
    Luke1066 wrote: »

Flight delay, flight cancellation, the engine going up in flames 15-20 seconds before take off?
  • iarniee
    Options
    JosephK wrote: »
    The aircraft had a problem, Norwegian dealt with it appropriately, the problem was fixed. Would it have flown if the captain was still unhappy?

Being in the situation I wouldn't say it was dealt with appropriately, it was dealt with after hours of waiting with no information from anyone.

Obviously key checks weren't done if there was an oil leak
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    iarniee wrote: »
    Being in the situation I wouldn't say it was dealt with appropriately, it was dealt with after hours of waiting with no information from anyone.

Obviously key checks weren't done if there was an oil leak

It obviously wasn't a serious issue as the pilot wouldn't have left you sat on the plane.

As others have said you should chalk it up to experience and move on.
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 November 2019 at 12:05PM
    Options
    Luke1066 wrote: »

Delay!

Looks like a genuine claim under EC261 to me.

https://www.norwegian.com/uk/booking/booking-information/legal/your-passenger-rights/eu-regulation-2612004/
  • iarniee
    Options
    cubegame wrote: »
    It obviously wasn't a serious issue as the pilot wouldn't have left you sat on the plane.

As others have said you should chalk it up to experience and move on.

I mean it only wasn't serious because the whole plane screamed to stop the plane, pilot had no idea.

Obviously they shut off the engine when we stopped and it was 'safe' as such.

But thanks for your comment.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This sounds like a serious safety fault. It is impossible for us to say who was responsible, since routine aircraft maintenance and pre-flight checks are likely to be sub-contracted to ground staff at the airline's base; at Tenerife; or wherever the aeroplane last visited. You could perhaps contact the CAA to find out who was responsible and to whom you should report your concerns.

You could also put in a claim for compensation for flight delay, and see whether the airline maintain that it was due to "exceptional circumstances".
  • bradders1983
    Options
    Always make me laugh when people refuse to get on a plane after its been fixed, as if a) they are all experts in aviation mechanics, and b) the pilot would fly it if it wasnt 100%
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Presumably the OP has put in a claim for flight delay. Whether or not that will be successful is probably open to debate, but I don't think it unreasonable to get in touch with the airline to chase up the claim after 6 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure