driving slow : your views ?

dada44
dada44 Posts: 247 Forumite
hi.

i like to drive slow. in that, if its a 30 road zone, i prefer 25. if its a roundabout, i prefer 15 or 20 mph. if it's a motorway of 70, i prefer 60, maybe even 55.

i have noticed that this sometimes makes drivers behind me impatient, as if i am the one driving wrong. however, when i drive i feel calm, and much safer, than if i was driving a little faster.

just wondering, is there a legal view on how slow to drive in roads ? would i be considered to be doing the right thing, legally ?

Comments

• londonTiger
    londonTiger Posts: 4,903 Forumite
    If you're in a hurry, driving behind someone like that is one of the most frustrating experiences.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You can certainly fail a driving test by failing to make due progess.

It depends on circumstances but you really should be aware of other road users. So on the motorway just tuck in and do the speed of the HGVs which should be limited to 56mph. If they are having to overtake you it's disrupting for all the traffic, and the police have been known to stop _very_ slow motorists on the motorway.

25 in some urban areas may be fine as after all, speed limits are maximums and not minimums! But if you are doing 40 on a main road where the speed limit is 50, conditions are good and overtaking is difficult you will cause congestion and impatience.

Perhaps you could do with some top-up lessons to give you a little more confidence and awareness of other users? I can understand feeling more relaxed at lower speeds: when I go long distances I allow plenty of time and then vary my speed to keep myself more alert and comfortable.
  • Buellguy
    Buellguy Posts: 629 Forumite
    Hate to say it, but if you took your test now you would probably fail on not keeping up with the flow of traffic. No particular qualms with the 25 in a 30. On the motorway if you want to do 55 fine so long as you stick to lane 1 (cos @ 55 the wagons are going to be overtaking you, which could lead to some frustration). Can't understand the 15-20 on a roundabout, that's far to much of a generalisation, mini-roundabout or huge motorway one that could easily be taken @ 40? and why so slow?
    You are legal although if you seem to be holding up a huge queue of traffic a police officer may want to ask you why you haven't pulled over to let people past? You also may get pulled more often (suspicion of drink driving).
    You may feel calm when driving but you will be annoying a hell of a lot of people on the roads possibly (and I'm not condoning them doing it but can understand why they do) pushing them into rash overtakes as they can't understand why you aren't driving to road conditions
  • Bollotom
    Bollotom Posts: 957 Forumite
    First Post
    If you're on a motorway and doing 60 that's okay in the nearside lane as lorries travel at that speed. If you're a middle lane hogger at that speed you'll ruffle a few feathers. As long as you don't impede the flow of traffic you have right on your side. Be a giggle when all these cities start to introduce the 20mph limit a la Islington. Also on a roundabout, speed sufficient to be able to stop to give way if necessary. Might be good to observe others' GOOD driving habits:cool:
  • Ransoman
    Ransoman Posts: 87 Forumite
    There is nothing wrong with driving slowly or taking your time. However, it is completely unacceptable to hold up other road users or creating a hazard by doing so.
  • londonTiger
    londonTiger Posts: 4,903 Forumite
    Bollotom wrote: »
    If you're on a motorway and doing 60 that's okay in the nearside lane as lorries travel at that speed. If you're a middle lane hogger at that speed you'll ruffle a few feathers. As long as you don't impede the flow of traffic you have right on your side. Be a giggle when all these cities start to introduce the 20mph limit a la Islington. Also on a roundabout, speed sufficient to be able to stop to give way if necessary. Might be good to observe others' GOOD driving habits:cool:

I drive around there sometimes and it's annoying.

During busy hours traffic moves at a crawl anyway so speed limit isn't really needed. But during midday with clear roads, no schools it's grating. 20mph feels like jogging speeds - been undertaken by cyclists a few times.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,810 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Like the bell end I was following yesterday, 40mph on an open NSL road busily chatting away to his passenger and waving his arms around, braking at every slight curve in the road, could not overtake him due to oncoming traffic. He may have been calm but the half dozen drivers behind him were not.
  • dada44
    generally, i try not to hold up others. if i can pull over, if i see someone is quite impatient behind me , i probably wouldn't mind. the problem with asking the question i did, in a public forum, is i'll often get answers from ppl's sense of frustration and impatience, rather than good driving or from whatever is legal.

i do believe that if everyone drove slower, there would be far fewer accidents. i often feel quite a bit of pressure to keep up with others. i don't think it's a lack of confidence because i can drive faster, i just don't find it comfortable.
  • dada44
    what i find , particularly in a large town or city driving, is driving slower, doesn't really hold ppl up, in reality, because you always seem to catch up with ppl who accelerate faster, at traffic lights. it seems to be more a psychological issue.

it also saves quite a bit of petrol and emissions, so is a bit better for the environment. however, there's not much i know about it legally. except for all the 'drive slow' signs, i see around
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I can't say I agree with your stance at all. If you don't find it comfortable then it is a lack of confidence/ability.

'Everyone' isn't going to drive slower. And if they lowered speed limits, would you then driver slower again? Doesn't make sense.

Its not good driving (in my opinion) it is indicative of someone lacking confidence and could actually cause more issues than you believe you are avoiding.

Speed up, please :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport