Life insurance and critical illness cover - how much is enough?!!

Options
Me and my partner are in the process of getting critical illness and life insurance quotes. We are on our 30s and have two children

I am self employed and earn between 90-120k per year and they earn £50k

We currently have 500k life insurance cover each which would cover our mortgage and leave £300k for other expenses.

We have been advised by a IFA to increase this to 1.5 million each to take loss of earnings into account. This would cost £150 per month for the two of us :eek:

They have also advised critical illness cover of £200k to cover the mortgage. This would be an additional £160 for both of us

What are people's thoughts? How have you calculated your life insurance sum?!

Comments

• Weighty1
    Weighty1 Posts: 1,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't think the IFA is necessarily wrong!

What if you suffered a critical illness which was permanently debilitating and meant you couldn't do your job again? Whilst £200-300-400,000 critical illness cover might sound like a lot, it's not if it's got to last throughout your working life.

Did the IFA not discuss long-term income protection? This would have been my go to solution as the amount it pays out is dependent on how long you are ill so it's naturally tailored to providing more cover for the most debilitating conditions PLUS it would almost certainly cost less than critical illness cover.

In regards to life insurance there are ways of maintaining a high level of cover but reducing the cost. If you work through your own limited company, and I expect you do with that level of income, you could look at a Relevant Life Policy. This is were the business owns the plan and the premiums are generally classed as a trading expense but the money pays into trust, with no deductions, in the event of a claim. This is extremely tax efficient compared to a personal plan which is paid out of post taxed income. Alternatively, you could look at something like Family Income Benefit. Instead of paying out a lump sum, this provides a regular income from the point of death until a set point in the future. This generally works out far more cost-effective than a fixed lump sum arrangement since it is a reducing risk for the insurers and is therefore priced according to this.

Based on what you've written it sounds to me like the IFA has offered the easiest solution without necessarily providing some out of the box solutions which could be better placed to maximise your cover whilst minimising the cost.
  • Savingtomove
    Options
    Thank you that is really interesting and definitely given me some food for thought
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    IMHO the IFA recommendation is OTT in your circumstances, does he takes commission or flat fee?

Ultimately only you can establish how much is enough.

In my case (also self employed) we always have 6+ months of living expenses in savings. This by itself takes care of short term critical illnesses, so decided that £50k (which is another 12-18 months) CIC is enough. I work in IT and there aren't that many non-terminal illnesses that can prevent me from working. The Life insurance naturally to cover the hole mortgage and about 2 years of expenses extra. Then you will have some pension available to the surviving party as well.

At your level of incomes and with £200k mortgage either surviving party should be fine, by just being mortgage free. The 300k would be a nice bonus to carry through life disturbance/readjustments. £1.5 mil is excessive
  • fullofcold
    Options
    Me and my partner are in the process of getting critical illness and life insurance quotes. We are on our 30s and have two children

I am self employed and earn between 90-120k per year and they earn £50k

We currently have 500k life insurance cover each which would cover our mortgage and leave £300k for other expenses.

We have been advised by a IFA to increase this to 1.5 million each to take loss of earnings into account. This would cost £150 per month for the two of us :eek:

They have also advised critical illness cover of £200k to cover the mortgage. This would be an additional £160 for both of us

What are people's thoughts? How have you calculated your life insurance sum?!

Please get a second opinion from a protection adviser
    I am a Protection Adviser. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Protection Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Based on limited information, the IFA recommendation seems to be in the ballpark expectation. Arguably, it could be more. The quick and dirty method of 20x income plus debts would be higher. So, there does seem to have been some analysis of needs to reduce the figure somewhat.

If the adviser is an IFA (and not the op making a mistake - over half of people seeing an adviser think they are an IFA but they are not) then the fee option should be available and would make sense in this case.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure