Spend Nowt, Buy Nowt, Owe Nowt

Comments

• apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,662
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    XSpender wrote: »
    Redundancy has been swerved and I start a new 2 year contract in January....phew :D

:dance::dance::j:j:j:T:T Awesome news! Now you can plan, plan, plan!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • That's great news...what a relief for you :).
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • XSpender wrote: »
    Redundancy has been swerved and I start a new 2 year contract in January....phew :D

Thank goodness. Well done. I really hope you are more secure and in less debt by the time the next contract is looming.

Have a Merry and peaceful Christmas - suggest you go for one celebratory treat on top of what you planned. I just donated what would have been present money to the Salvation Army who do so much to combat loneliness at Christmas, on the basis that we have enough stuff!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Thank goodness. Well done. I really hope you are more secure and in less debt by the time the next contract is looming.

Have a Merry and peaceful Christmas - suggest you go for one celebratory treat on top of what you planned. I just donated what would have been present money to the Salvation Army who do so much to combat loneliness at Christmas, on the basis that we have enough stuff!

It doesn't feel like a massive celebration, more of a relief. I had 1 gluten free beer to celebrate and that will do for me :) 2 years should see our debt at least halved.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • XSpender
    Forumite
    In positive financial news I have requested a pay rise/salary review but am not holding my breath, DH has sold 2 pieces of small furniture (1 was 2nd hand to us and one is slightly damaged) for £60 and I found £3.06 under the build up of fluff in the TD. All the funds have been put in a mug on the dresser towards DH target of selling stuff to raise £200.

I am beginning to flap about how much I have to get done before Christmas and feel another list coming on. I am out on Saturday afternoon/evening but DH is not going to his Christmas party due to distance/babysitters so has said he will get a fair bit done. We will have cleared the washing (including 4 bedrooms worth of bedding and the dogs bed!) and ironing by tonight. I expected the work on my current project to have finished now but I have 3 bits to do, one with a short deadline I am procrastinating over, hence being on here :o

I am also flapping because I have my DM and DSD here from next Sunday through Friday and DB and DSIL here next Thurs and Fri and haven't a clue what to feed them, especially the days before Christmas as DM can't eat anything spicy. I have lots of lovely cook books and have seen lots of lovely things on the internet but I don't want to be giving myself masses to do or it will be one exhausting festive break for me. It doesn't help that I am GF, DH is nut free and I don't eat beef or fish! So far I have decided on:

Sun - Chicken pie, oven chips or potatoes, veg and gravy plus desert of chocolate surprise pudding and ice cream
    Mon - lunch sandwiches dinner ????? and desert banana bread and butter pudding made with choc chip panetone????
    Tue - Out for lunch so sandwiches or soup for dinner and mince pies
    Wed - The usual Christmas lunch with a cold meat buffet for tea
    Thurs - Lunch - Soup, some kinda chicken tray bake that is easy to do ??????, veg, mini roasties/new pots????? GF cheesecake Dinner - bigger version of yesterday's buffet leftover cheesecake and pavlova
    Fri - Visitors leave after breakfast

Breakfasts - bacon sandwiches Christmas day and Friday, rest porridge, panetone, cereal, toast, fruit and yogurt

I should have a look and see what I can make ahead as well as write a very long shopping list.
  • Can you ask them to bring some food?
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • XSpender wrote: »

Wed - The usual Christmas lunch with a cold meat buffet for tea
    Thurs - Lunch - Soup, some kinda chicken tray bake that is easy to do ??????, veg, mini roasties/new pots????? GF cheesecake Dinner - bigger version of yesterday's buffet leftover cheesecake and pavlova

Suggestion for Thursday -
    1. Before you start on the leftover pie, prep some roasting veg and start cooking it at 190c for 15 minutes. Turn the temperature down to 180c when you put the pie in. Use a slice to turn them all over at this point so they don't stick.

I suggest peel and cut up a couple of sweet potatoes and/or a butternut squash, sprinkle on salt, pepper and olive oil and roast these, the smaller the pieces, the faster they roast. I go for 50p size pieces of random shapes

2. Grease the sides of a baking tray then put all the leftovers you need (any veg, bits of meat, left over potatoes or parsnips etc) chopped to about the same size (no bigger than a smallish brussel sprout!) with a bit of gravy in the tray.

3. Roll a sheet of gluten free puff pastry a bit thinner so it covers all and tuck it round the leftovers, paint the top with a bit of beaten egg and bake for 25-30 minutes.

4. Serve with some simple steamed veg like carrots or cabbage, or you know everyone likes.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • XSpender
    Forumite
    Can you ask them to bring some food?

DM is bringing cheese and DSIL will bring a desert but it won’t be GF.

suffolklass that pie sounds delicious and I have BNS and sweet potato in the freezer

It’s my girls Christmas doo today, won’t be expensive as I’m not a big drinker and my dress cost £20 from Mr T :rotfl: DH was supposed to have his too but they moved the date from last week and as it is about 40 mins away he has decided not to go which will save us a chunk of money. Instead he is going to the shopping centre with DS to buy my Christmas gifts and they will have tea out. He is also picking up a food processor I have ordered to replace the £12 I got off the grab it board about 10 years ago as the motor has gone caput.

Our FF is making funny noises and the oven doesn’t seem to be cooking very well. :eek: I could do without this on top of the food processor and dishwasher and this close to Christmas.

I have decided to change my hairdresser to a local recommended one as I want to significantly reduce this bill. I have funny hair that shows up a not so great cut but I pay an eye watering amount currently for a cut and colour and it needs to be reduced.

We picked up the frozen meal deal for £5 in the co-op yesterday which has provided 1 desert and a side for Christmas. I am about there with the meal planning for Christmas visitors I think. I must appear stressed about it as DH has offered to help with the cooking :eek:

DH has gone out on his bike this morning, taking my car, so I am unable to run my errands as I’m not insured to drive his co car. I hope he is back before the library shuts and I need to go out!

Right, one more cup of tea and then I must crack on with my to do list.
  • Thrilled by the work news!!!! Fantastic.

I am also beginning to have a bit of a mild panic about Xmas. Will also do a list and also make sure I go for a run so I can relax a bit, I always feel less stressed after a run

X
  • Hope alls good with you XS - have a great Christmas and a brilliant 2020!

Brizzle x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure