Cabot, Mobile Phone

Options
I had a letter through this morning for £622 from cabot for EE now I don't recall having a phone contract with EE.

There has been £2500 made in payments from the period of 2010 to 2014 on the account between those dates I had severe mental health issues so I am having a job remembering what phone provider I was with at the time.

I asked them for a signed credit agreement so i could have look if it is me that signed it and they refused to provide me with one stating because it is a mobile phone contract they do not have to provide one.

They said I purchased it in carphone warehouse so I said well I would of signed an agreement the he still refused.

Is this right?

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there and welcome to MSE,

Mobile phone contracts are not regulated by the Consumer Credit Act so they don't have to comply with a CCA requests (that cost £1). However, you could make something called a Subject Access Request. This is a more encompassing request for data under the Data Protection Act. It can cost £10 to submit and they have 40days to comply.

With this you can ask for a copy of the agreement, a breakdown of the account, details of where the account was set up etc. It is £10 whether you ask for 1 document or 100 so make sure you ask for what you think you need.

However, a simpler route may be to simply say to Cabot that you do not recognise the debt and ask them to prove it is you, and send the prove it letter. I have linked you to these sample letters to help, good luck,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure