Section 75 Refund advice on Ebay Purchase

Options

Comments

• Arrayer95
    Options
    Thanks for the info.. I'm filling out the section 75 form atm but it asking for a checklist of which I don't know how to get:
    - A copy of the original invoice/contract to confirm there is a debtor, creditor, supplier agreement
    - Terms and conditions

As its from eBay, I wasn't provided with these so not sure what to do. Any help is appreciated, thanks :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The transaction on your account will show the seller and what you bought, along with a product description.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Must be a hell of a laptop for that kind of money.
    Put a logo of a common fruit on it and it's a licence to charge stupid amounts.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    yes raspberry pi laptops are stupidly expensive!
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2018 at 9:20AM
    Options
    Funny, I was reading this whilst opening my first ebay purchase!

Anyway, the law is outdated this area - in 1974, operations such as paypal were never anticipated, nor even the widespread use of credit cards.

S75 says there must be a " debtor-creditor-supplier" relationship. The traditional approach is that the involvement of other parties "breaks the chain".

However, the courts have "interpreted" this to include merchant acquirers - ie a four party structure. See https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73402785#post73402785

This isn't the same as a paypal situation - to my knowledge there hasn't been a ruling on that (I mean court rather than FOS) yet. But in my view it is only a matter of time before there is some sort of ruling in favour of the OP. The courts were looking beyond the technical separation of the parties and into the "joint venture" nature of certain arrangements.

Until such a ruling, expect resistance.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The biggest problem with Ebay purchases on tech is the fact that the sellers are usually selling grey market product and the manufacturers don't recognise these sellers as authorised distributers.

This means they don't honour warranties from these sellers, so an invoice from an ebay seller won't be recognised.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    bris wrote: »
    The biggest problem with Ebay purchases on tech is the fact that the sellers are usually selling grey market product and the manufacturers don't recognise these sellers as authorised distributers.

This means they don't honour warranties from these sellers, so an invoice from an ebay seller won't be recognised.

I don't dispute what you say in any way bit sellers (business) have to comply with UK consumer laws whether they want to or not.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    World's upside down.

Apparently in certain London markets they are selling products claiming to be "fake fur" which are turning out to be real fur because it's cheaper to get fur from China than make the synthetic stuff.

I just bought something from Amazon claiming to be an "own-brand" compatible product and inside the box was an original.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't dispute what you say in any way bit sellers (business) have to comply with UK consumer laws whether they want to or not.
    I didn't say the seller doesn't have to comply, just pointing out why the manufacturer most likely won't honour a warranty that it should have.
  • shizzlemynizzle
    Options
    OP, I appreciate this is an old thread but I'd be interested to know how you got on with this?

I'm weighing up the pros and cons of buying from eBay so this would help me greatly!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure