PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Healthy snacks for kids

Options

Comments

• Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Home made soup with bread or rolls if needed, to fill in the gap. Soup could be anything from a well filling broth, cream soup, to a chicken noodle clear soup kind of thing. That is assuming your lot take soup, also you probably won't get away with this everyday.
    Have made a simple soup in practically the time it takes to make a packet - not the tastiest soup in the world, but if it keeps them going until tea-time???

1 onion chopped (or leek, or spring onions)
    2-4 stock cubes dissolved in approx 1 pt boiling water
    Bung all in a pot and bring to a simmer.
    Add handful of frozen sweetcorn - substitute with frozen peas or whatever you have.
    Break up spaghetti into wee bits, or use similar cheap packet of pasta/noodles. Cook until spag/noodles cooked.
    If they don't like the pasta in soup, leave it out.
    Mine like noodle or cream soups - exactly the same soup.
    But all you do is add a wee bit of milk to the soup, or, what I normally do is make up a white sauce with butter, flour and milk, then whisk that in - it makes a thicker soup.
    Hopefully this helps.
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    My mum used to leave home made quiche in the firdge for when I came home, and cooked sausages to eat cold. Yum.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • Mado
    Mado Posts: 21,776 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mine are much younger but they demolish a plate of fruit after school everyday.
    After which, 1 or 2 biscuits are allowed.
    I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones
  • elaine373
    elaine373 Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mine like crumpets and hot chocolate if its a cold day.
    “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. Your really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” Lucille Ball.
  • PoshPaws_3
    PoshPaws_3 Posts: 485 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    If you're home to cook them, home made potato wedges would work! It also uses up all those measly little potatoes which are a pain to peel for mash. :)

Here's how I do mine :

Wash the spuds and remove any dodgy bits.
    Cut into wedges and place in a deep microwaveable bowl.
    Pop into the microwave for 2 mins to get them started.
    Drizzle with a little olive oil, a pinch of garlic granules or a clove of crushed garlic, a pinch of rosemary and a little shake of cayenne pepper.
    Mix it all up so that every potato is coated.
    Chuck into a roasting tin with a small onion, quartered.
    Cook high in the oven at 200deg or so for about 20mins.

Serve with tomato ketchup or mayonnaise or both!
    :hello: I'm very well, considering the state I'm in. :hello:
    Weight loss since 2 March 10 : 13lbs
  • wendyl1967
    wendyl1967 Posts: 317 Forumite
    Options
    This is what my two eat when they come in from school to put them on until tea time.

Fruit
    crumpets
    popcorn
    cereal
    toast
    breadsticks
    Wendy
  • katelu
    katelu Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, need some ideas on some cheap snacks I can feed my kids after nursery. They have tea at nursery at 4pm but are starving again by 6pm and want feeding again! I have made some banana muffins and some scones, but anyone got any savory ideas which would fill them up cheaply (and healthily) that are quick to russle up (or can be made in advance).:confused:
  • maria340
    maria340 Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    Mine love tortilla wraps. I put one in a dry frying pan with thinly spread grated cheese and finely chopped spring onion and another tortilla on top and heat for about 15 seconds each side (or until cheese has melted). Cut into triangles. Also nice with wafer thin ham or spinach. As a special treat I do them with choc spread.
    Just be careful to let them cool as the filling can get very hot, I burnt myself pinching a Jam one (very messy), served me right.
  • luby-lou
    luby-lou Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    mmmmm - we love those wraps too - we call them quasadillas (sp)

You could make hummous and give them lots of chopped up veg - carrot, pepper cucumber, apple, etc and pitta bread. Can all be chopped up in advance and brought out as soon as you get home!

Can't find a recipe right now but I'm sure I've got one somewhere if you want.
  • Treacle_2-2
    Options
    Whenever I make rice pudding I like to do extra so I can grab a cold one out of the fridge the next day!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure