Domestic battery experiences (on grid)

Hi all, I thought it might be helpful to have a thread where people share there experiences of domestic batteries and inverters, their likes and dislikes, advantages and disadvantages of each system, so we can all learn what system may best suit us individually.

It may be a lofty aim. But I figured it was worth a go.

So my experience:-
Sofar me3000sp
My sofar is a 2017 model that I bought second hand from someone who had it installed by a person who didnt know how to set it up.
I've had it for 9 months.

Plus points.
1. Quick ramp rate, will go from zero to full output in around 15-20 seconds
2. At 3kw output covers 95% of the loading in my home in a normal day
3. Pairs well with pylontech batteries, but can also be used with most battery types
4. Allows modular build up of storage, currently using 3 x 2.4kw batteries for a useable 6kw (80%)

Minus points
1. Mine does not get to 3kw output, only managing about 2.8kw, but I'm not sure if that's a problem with my batteries, as it charges at 3.2kw, and due to mine being second hand, and potentially having damaged the first battery due to being set up wrong.(interested in other sofar users comparisons)
2. Cut in/out threshold is too high at around 100-200w, meaning that although I had 45% left in the battery overnight, the sofar stopped discharging and so I imported 700w through the night

3a. My sofar does not gel entirely with the solarman app due to its age apparently, which means I can see import and export, and my battery level, but I cannot see how much electricity I have cumulatively discharged over the last 9 months.... which is pretty annoying

Growatt sph3600 hybrid inverter with growatt 4.8kwh battery
Plus points
1. Seems to be a very efficient solar inverter (if you forget about the hybrid part)
2. Connects straight to the darfon growatt battery, but can be used with most others.

Minus points
Ignoring the solar inverter part, and just the battery part.
1. Ramp up / down is very slow, taking almost a minute to output its maximum of 2kw from the battery
2. Despite advertising that it could work with a remote clamp, its operation would be described as erratic at absolute best, charging and discharging when it wants, rather than in line with load requirements, even when remote clamp appeared to be connected properly
3. On standby it used 50-80w not the <3 advertised.
4. Randomly decides to output a couple of hundred watts around 2 am and 4:30am, even though base load was unchanged

5a. Growatt are the worst company I've ever dealt with

I know Mmmmikey can share his views about the power vault, and I think a couple of other guys can compare their *newer* sofar's (joefizz and Nick).
Anyone have info on the tesla powerwall, or the lux parallel inverter, the victron.... or any other inverter/ battery combo.

I'm thinking seriously about moving on from the sofar and going for a tesla or lux parallel, so I'd like to hear the good, bad and ugly of all the inverters out there.
West central Scotland
4kw sse since 2014 and 6.6kw wsw / ene split since 2019
24kwh leaf, 75Kwh Tesla and Lux 3600 with 60Kwh storage

Comments

• markin
    markin Posts: 3,847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The reason for the 100-200w Cut in/out threshold is that its not worth running the inverter at a 100W? loss to run a 50w load. All inverters have running cost the bigger the output the bigger the cost.
  • Solarchaser
    Solarchaser Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Yeah I understand that, but it's still worth it for me.
    I'd rather it exported a 1kw to the grid, rather than cost me as 1kw because it went into standby.
    I believe Mmmmikey reported the powervault responded better than the sofar on this point.
    West central Scotland
  • mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,638 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    .....I'm getting some figures together, will respond tomorrow :)
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 August 2019 at 11:20AM
    With a 40w load over 8hr it would drain 320wh to cover that load, But if the inverter users 100w out off standby that would be 800w in heating you home.

Anyway i came across this channel.

UK powerwall2 July update
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-YeL57xMi8

This guy again in the uk has a 9kwp solar and a PW2 with a tesla EV
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScxMVIgjh4w
  • Hexane
    Hexane Posts: 520 Forumite
    markin wrote: »
    With a 40w load over 8hr it would drain 320w to cover that load,
    Do you mean 320wh ?
    7.25 kWp PV system (4.1kW WSW & 3.15kW ENE), Solis inverter, myenergi eddi & harvi for energy diversion to immersion heater. myenergi hub for Virtual Power Plant demand-side response trial.
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,792 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I don’t think it would reflect well on my battery supplier if I were to share my experiences on here.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • Solarchaser
    Solarchaser Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    All the more reason to share.
    People want to know who to avoid as much as who to trust.

My overnight load is around 800w, so I'd be happy to use 1kw out of the battery to power the home "inefficiently"
    West central Scotland
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,792 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    All the more reason to share.
    People want to know who to avoid as much as who to trust.

My overnight load is around 800w, so I'd be happy to use 1kw out of the battery to power the home "inefficiently"

In fairness to them they removed the battery and gave me a full refund without dispute so I would prefer not to name them. It was quite old tech with fixed charge and discharge rates which were so low (350w/450w) as to be of little practical use, only 80% effective capacity, and incompatible with IBoost (with fixed discharge rate it would power the IBoost after we switched our plasma tv off).
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • I have a Goodwe GW3648-EM inverter and a LG 6.5 kWh battery. There is no cut-in/out threshold that I am aware of and the battery discharges throughout the night (down to a 10% minimum state of charge although I have not run out of battery charge since May).

Plus points are:
    The inverter is connected to the internet and Goodwe logs the performance every few minutes and maintains records which I can look back on.
    I have wired the lights and a few electrical items to a "backup" output which should keep running from the battery in case of a mains failure. But I don't yet know if this works in the event of a power cut.
    Negative points are:
    Even in the sunniest weather I still draw about 0.5 kWh from the mains per day. This comes from activities like boiling a kettle when there is no solar output and the fact that the inverter takes time to switch-in the battery to full output.
    Reed
  • I also have a Sofar Solar with 4 x 2.4kWh Pylon batteries. I have had minor issues with the system since installation but the support (direct from Sofar Solar) has been pretty good. System was installed in August 2018 and has been running ever since. I even use it in the winter to charge from the grid during cheap electricity times (using Ocotpus Agile) and it has saved me lots of money. (averaging £500/year since install). Currently, I have my payback at 9-10 years (which is ok as the system should run for 15-20 years without issue).
    MFW 2009 Challenge - Member #166
    £6000 to overpay in 2009 / £6000 Paid
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport