EON Smart Meters

Comments

• Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    C.C. wrote: »
    My mum had smart meters fitted by E-on last October. They made life a lot easier, as she struggled to read the old ones herself, and no longer had to do anything.

Fast forward to June, when her contract ended and we changed her supplier.
    As expected, her meters are now dumb - we had been led to believe that they might have been updated (remotely) by then, but they hadn't.

There is absolutely no way she can attempt to read the gas meter herself.
    In all that time, she had never tried to use the in-house display to get meter readings, so while visiting her last week (can't go often due to distance), I took readings from there.

The problem is, when I got home and compared the gas reading with past ones that I have kept a record of, it was obvious that something doesnt match - six weeks ago, the gas meter reading had been 001196, but the monitor is currently showing a reading of 014185!

Is it possible that the monitor is showing kw/h rather than m3?
    I've done some quick calculations to try to test this theory, but my results are not coming out quite as close as I would have liked, but i might be doing it wrong.

As i said, there's no way my mum can check the actual meter reading to compare with the in-house monitor figure, and there's no one else she can ask either.

So, E-on, as this monitor is your piece of equipment, any suggestions what's going on, or whether i might be on the right lines with the kw/h theory?

Malc seems to be here less and less, C.C. and I think Helena has been moved to another role so, if you want an answer quickly, you might be better using FB or Twitter. I hope you get this sorted soon.
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,151
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 20 July 2019 at 11:38PM
    If your mother is a pensioner (or has a severe illness/disability) get her regsitered on Priority Services Register. Being on this has some good perks, like having your meter read every quarter.
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Malc seems to be here less and less, C.C. and I think Helena has been moved to another role so, if you want an answer quickly, you might be better using FB or Twitter. I hope you get this sorted soon.

:( Lets hope there's a return to "how it was"
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    AndyCF wrote: »
    :( Lets hope there's a return to "how it was"

I think you and I have done all we can there, AndyCF. If our arguments do not sway the powers that be, we will just have to help each other.

It is a great shame, given the terrible first experience of Eon's customer service I endured the other day. The online chat operator called me in the middle of the proceedings and talked at me non-stop; I could not get a word in. She sounded on the edge of hysteria; gave me a splitting head ache.

Had I wanted to speak to someone, I would have called instead of going online. I like having a record of what was discussed. If I get her again, I will end the chat and start over.
  • AndyCF
    Forumite
    Smodlet wrote: »
    I think you and I have done all we can there, AndyCF. If our arguments do not sway the powers that be, we will just have to help each other.

It is a great shame, given the terrible first experience of Eon's customer service I endured the other day. The online chat operator called me in the middle of the proceedings and talked at me non-stop; I could not get a word in. She sounded on the edge of hysteria; gave me a splitting head ache.

Had I wanted to speak to someone, I would have called instead of going online. I like having a record of what was discussed. If I get her again, I will end the chat and start over.

To be fair to them if you get through to the right person they are usually pretty good at fixing what you need, its more a question of (if its not a simple matter) getting *to* the right person who *can* sort it out, or at least provide some progress. :)
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,787
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I just received this text
    Hi, it's E.ON. When you signed up to your energy tariff you agreed to have a smart meter fitted. We're now ready to come and fit your meter. You'll soon receive a text from 07507309513 to arrange an appointment. For more info about smart meters go to https://www.eonenergy.com/smartsms

The only problem is that when I signed up I did not agree to have a smart meter fitted. I agreed to be contacted about having a smart meter fitted.

The E.ON representative on this MSE Energy forum confirmed that this was the case for my tariff. Please could they confirm once more that I am not obliged to have a smart meter installed & can ignore this text?
  • AndyCF
    Forumite
    nigelbb wrote: »
    I just received this text

The only problem is that when I signed up I did not agree to have a smart meter fitted. I agreed to be contacted about having a smart meter fitted.

The E.ON representative on this MSE Energy forum confirmed that this was the case for my tariff. Please could they confirm once more that I am not obliged to have a smart meter installed & can ignore this text?

I'd be tempted to call them asap and get it confirmed (ideally via email or a letter unless you can record the call, tbh a letter would be best I think) that you won't have a Smart fitted at that time. Are you able (if they won't play nice) to cancel it aka within a "cooling off" period ?
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,787
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    AndyCF wrote: »
    I'd be tempted to call them asap and get it confirmed (ideally via email or a letter unless you can record the call, tbh a letter would be best I think) that you won't have a Smart fitted at that time. Are you able (if they won't play nice) to cancel it aka within a "cooling off" period ?
    I'm past the "cooling off" period but as I didn't agree to have a smart meter fitted & it's a good tariff I wouldn't want to cancel anyway.

I had another text this time asking me for a suitable date & time to fit a smart meter. I sent a text back explaining that I didn't want one then got another presumably automated text that they would get back to me.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Organisation Representative
    anniecave wrote: »
    Highland76-

I helped a friend do an energy supply transfer (gas and electric) to Eon which went through earlier this month (8th July). She had an email earlier this week from Eon saying it was a condition of her new tariff that she should have smart meters installed (this was news to me, and I went through all the online switch process with her!) and she should expect a call soon.

So that was only 7 days into the new supply with Eon, so I would imagine depending on how quick your previous supplier is to validate your meter readings, you may be lucky and get offered smart meters fairly quickly. It will of course be totally dependent on availability of appointments in your area.

Hello anniecave and I'm glad your friend's switch went through okay.

As you say, it depends on the circumstances at individual properties and areas as to when we'll contact customers to offer them smart meters. We do try to combine as many appointments as possible when we have technicians in set areas.

Thanks for helping your friend to switch to us anniecave.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Organisation Representative
    scones wrote: »
    Thanks Malc, it gives me an idea at least and I appreciate your finding out for me. Very helpful.

No worries scones. Happy to help.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback