PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• wort
    wort Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I decided to release the 2 biggest pans, the reason I didn't do on first sweep was that they're a set of three very good Meyer pans I got when we married. I haven't used for years even at Xmas I use my steamer for veg. I still have a biggish pan that I make soup in that can go in the oven as well as it doesn't have plastic handles. Dd1 is having the pans .dd2 is having a Pyrex casserole dish a Denby dish with lid, and an oblong Pyrex without a lid.
    Dd1 is having 3 pint glasses, so that leaves 4 pint glasses to re home.
    I'm considering putting my white dinner set in the bottom drawer, I use these when I have family round. I prefer them to the few plates I use everyday but can't bring myself to get rid of a set of crockery just cos it's not my favourite! !! There's room in the drawer now I've got rid of the pans, and at the moment I need a chair to reach them out of the top cupboard.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • I am wearing a top with a sparkle today, one I wore for christmas after christmas and for events like a village gathering but it is going to last me forever. It must be 20 years old and I love the colour, fit and style and it is soft, like velour but knitted, cannot remember the name of that type of yarn, was all the rage years ago. It could shed but this one never did. It is time for me to try and wear it out as it is bulky in a drawer, takes up the space of 4 thin knitted tops. This morning I have a bundle of 2 thick tops to go to the clothes recycling, one is thick cotton, not a drapey shape and one is fairly new but a poor qvc buy, it already looks tatty because of the yarn and the colour does nothing for me. All in all those two released 1/3 of a drawer

I have so many socks, either black or hm knitted and the black ones are all in as new condition. I am going to have to wear them out ie until tatty and the best way is to wear them on the allotment. Too good to give away, the thrifty part of me. However they are all tidy

I opened my wardrobe doors last night, just to see what a house viewer would see and it looks good and tidy
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I’ve pulled out the stuff that I’ve not worn this winter and it’s ready to photograph and sell on, 3 tops got put back in the wardrobe but I’m going to go fish them back out. 4 pairs of jeans/jeggins that won’t stay up have added to the pile too.

I went gluten free after a nasty bout of reflux over Christmas, I’ve lost a stone, dropped a size and my long term sinus issues have cleared up. Why do we not see the obvious sometimes. Should have done it years ago.

Dropped a bag at the CS this morning and came away with 3 shirts for DH, all good quality and at £1.50 each were worth it. He got rid of a lot of tatty short sleeved shirts at the end of last summer so this replenishes the stock nicely. Also got 2 huge balls of wool for 50p each, easily enough for a baby blanket that will get started this week as I’ve just finished one.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • I suppose food can come under the KM umbrella and this time it is stored apples, a variety called pigs snout from ian sturrock in wales. This must be one of the hardiest, easy apples ever and produces large nice cooking apples with a skin that really protects. It stores well until the end of february so I need to deal with the last 8 sooner rather than later and the freezer still contains very many pots of stewed apple

I have family visitors later this week so a nice hm eves pudding will do the trick and will use up 2 apples. I also make and freeze apple cake, each one takes 2 apples (1lb) as an in-between layer, mary berry who else, a book that I have had since the 80s. These particular apples are not as sweey as bramleys, I have bramleys but prefer these. I will be sure to plant a pigs snout and a christmas pippin when I move. I have 7 varieties here but imo those two are the best

I have spelt pasta, ok yes I bought in bulk once, for prepping purposes but now solo, I hardly use much pasta at all. I need to offload, ood but perfectly nice, I am still using it. I`ll put some out for the weekend, after all it is family and they can choose whether or not to have it

Another large pack of sardines in tomato sauce, the last one, will be making a short trip to the village food bank box. I have some stuff for the tip today, for recycling bins. I need milk so will go out
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Two big bags of books to the 0xfam book bin today and a bin liner of clothes to go to the clothes bin later.

I am identifying the books that I won’t move with me, but would like to read and am making an effort to sit down with a book rather than a tablet and get on with them. I’m currently reading a set of No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency and am really enjoying them (again). :)
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Pooky wrote: »
    I’ve pulled out the stuff that I’ve not worn this winter and it’s ready to photograph and sell on, 3 tops got put back in the wardrobe but I’m going to go fish them back out. 4 pairs of jeans/jeggins that won’t stay up have added to the pile too.

I went gluten free after a nasty bout of reflux over Christmas, I’ve lost a stone, dropped a size and my long term sinus issues have cleared up. Why do we not see the obvious sometimes. Should have done it years ago.

Dropped a bag at the CS this morning and came away with 3 shirts for DH, all good quality and at £1.50 each were worth it. He got rid of a lot of tatty short sleeved shirts at the end of last summer so this replenishes the stock nicely. Also got 2 huge balls of wool for 50p each, easily enough for a baby blanket that will get started this week as I’ve just finished one.

That's really interesting about the gluten/sinuses. I find gluten irritates my IBS, which I have had for years but gp says I am not gluten intolerant. I also have had sinus issues for years which they can never find any reason for...the latest diagnosis was that it is caused by post nasal drip.....( but what causes that?) and allergies....and I do get a lot of allergies. Wondering now whether to try the gluten free route for a bit and see if sinuses improve. Mind you, I can't afford to lose weight, I am already way underweight for my height.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 January 2018 at 2:22PM
    Ploppy - have you been properly tested for coeliac? A lot of Dr's don't understand it . I'm coeliac and when I was diagnosed I had a blood test followed by a biopsy, taken by a camera down the throat.
    Blood test alone can give false negative result.

I've wrapped dgsons and dd1 s partners birthday presents. Inner tube of wrap to be thrown, also sorted my box of receipts thrown away all but a few. Went through the drawers in airing cupboard, got rid of all ood medicines/tablets/lotions.
    Rain has stopped so washer is on now.

P.s. also found steamer that goes with the big pan I'm giving to dd1!,
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was going to kondo my TomTom satnav to my son but today I found an article online that revealed TomTom are gradually making models obsolete, even those with 'lifetime' guarantees. They claim that they can't keep up with the complexity and changes of modern European road maps but don't explain why we have to have an entire continent when we only intend to drive in the UK.

Some models, like mine, are still supported but 'can no longer be repaired'. There's a list here if you have a TomTom and want to check. TomTom have emailed some users, but I haven't had an email from them.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    wort wrote: »
    Ploppy - have you been properly tested for coeliac? A lot of Dr's don't understand it . I'm coeliac and when I was diagnosed I had a blood test followed by a biopsy, taken by a camera down the throat.
    Blood test alone can give false negative result.

I only had blood test which came back negative. Not sure I could manage the camera thing....that's my absolute fear of any medical test.
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Ploppy: far too many doctors know nothing about intolerance. Unless you can be definably diagnosed as allergic, forget it. I think that they believe intolerances are "fashionable", so can be very dismissive. I have known one or two GPs and a few doctors who are sympathetic to intolerances, but they have personal experience to inform them rather than training.

Try going GF. What harm can it do? If you are gluten intolerant you may well find that your gut health improves, so you can then absorb nutrients properly, rather than po*ping them out. Do you know why you are losing too much weight? Celiac certainly springs to mind, but if you do want to be tested, you should do so before going GF. To be tested for celiac requires loading your system with gluten. Utterly barbaric.

Both my husband and I have been tested for Coeliac. We aren't, but the process of gluten-loading was so horrible neither of us will touch gluten again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure