IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

CP Plus PCN appeal rejected. Is it worth appealing to PAOLA and how?

Comments

• Hockey27
    Hockey27 Posts: 87 Forumite
    In picture 3 in post 20

Near the bottom where it says to the effect "As the charge was not paid the debt was transferred to our debt recovery agent"

Is that not clear admission of breaching Data protection?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    If that photo showing a ford not parked properly relates to this thread then you need to edit/remove it.

The ppcs monitor this forum and can use your posts against you.

That photo has the exact model and reg number of the ford
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    An undated contract is useless. Point out to POPLA that the contract is not valid due to being undated.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hockey27 wrote: »
    In picture 3 in post 20

Near the bottom where it says to the effect "As the charge was not paid the debt was transferred to our debt recovery agent"

Is that not clear admission of breaching Data protection?

No, they are allowed to use debt recovery letters.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Hi everyone,
    First to say, I was so silly and did not notice page 2 on my own thread, and I thought no-one had replied to it. I can't login on my laptop so doing it through my phone and this is why I mess up.
    Answering to your questions:
    Windscreen PCN 8 Oct.
    NTK 15 Nov.
    First appeal 11 Dec.
    Their rejection 27 Dec.
    PoPLA appeal 23 Jan.
    Their evidence package 30 Jan.
    So they did sent NTK 38 days after the event and I did not appeal to them before that.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Forumite
    edited 5 February 2018 at 9:23PM
    O
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Last month I told you to include the extra words, and gave you them:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73663884#post73663884

And waamo added, surprised that you had not said a word about 'POFA/no keeper liability':

So, what paragraphs did you add about no keeper liability, and the words I showed you and the template wording mentioned in the link I gave you a month ago 'the individual has not been shown to be the individual liable'?

Hoping you have not come this far without mentioning the POFA/keeper liability as an appeal point at all, despite being shown the words, given a link and reminded by waamo.

Please show us what your final draft appeal said about the POFA?

Did you ever get sent a NTK?

I regret to admit I did not add any paragraph about POFA/no keeper liability as I was not sure how can I show where it fails to comply with the POFA. My main point was the signage that is not enough and not adequate in this car park. I will copy and paste bellow what I sent to PoPLA.

Can I still add it to the comments or is it too late? I am going to say about the contract page they sent, that is unless plus the signage again. The pictures of the signage they provided are taken from "miles" away. They show that picture like the t&c where so close, in fact this pole is situated on the carpark across the road. They forgot to mention there is a road in between and that those t&c are facing the other way.
    Just take a look a the pictures, first one is their, second took by the driver.
    Forgive me for not listening to your instructions, I am a busy mum of 3 year old, I am also foreign and not so easy for me to understand all regulations and all I am reading from you. I just had to learn everything from this forum and I do my best to get it cancelled as I know I am 100% right there is no signage on this site and this is my main point.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320xq90/r/923/tXNqc6.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320xq90/r/924/SM5fpS.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 5 February 2018 at 10:09PM
    This is an interesting one. In BPA says the sign for T&C should be at least 450mm x450mm and this one isn't.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320xq90/r/922/xbcHqC.png
  • POPLA Ref

CP Plus Parking PCN no
    A notice to keeper was issued on xth October 2017 and received by me, the registered keeper of..xxxxx for an alleged contravention of !!!8216;NOT PARKED IN
    DESIGNED PARKING SPACE!!!8217;!!!8217; at Giltbrook Shopping Park, Nottingham. I am writing to you as the
    registered keeper and would be grateful if you would please consider my appeal for the following
    reasons:
    1) The signs in this car park are not prominent, clear or legible from all parking spaces (ref. POPLA
    case Rochelle Merritt 5960956830).
    2) No evidence of Landowner Authority.
    1) The signs in this car park are not prominent - not placed at the entrance to the site, and there are not
    enough signs placed in other locations throughout the site, not clear or legible from all parking spaces
    and there is insufficient notice of the sum of the parking charge itself.
    There was no contract nor agreement on the 'parking charge' at all. It is submitted that the driver did not
    have a fair opportunity to read about any terms involving this huge charge, which is out of all proportion
    and not saved by the dissimilar 'ParkingEye Ltd v Beavis' case.
    In the Beavis case, which turned on specific facts relating only to the signs at that site and the unique
    interests and intentions of the landowners, the signs were unusually clear and not a typical example for
    this notorious industry. The Supreme Court were keen to point out the decision related to that car park
    and those facts only:
    http://imgur.com/a/AkMCN
    In the Beavis case, the £85 charge itself was in the largest font size with a contrasting colour
    background and the terms were legible, fairly concise and unambiguous. There were 'large lettering'
    signs at the entrance and all around the car park, according to the Judges.
    Here is the 'Beavis case' sign as a comparison to the signs under dispute in this case:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-eYdphoIIDgE/VpbCpfSTaiI/AAAAAAAAE10/5uFjL528DgU/s640/Parking
    %2Bsign_001.jpg
    This case, by comparison, does not demonstrate an example of the 'large lettering' and 'prominent
    signage' that impressed the Supreme Court Judges and swayed them into deciding that in the specific
    car park in the Beavis case alone, a contract and 'agreement on the charge' existed.
    Here, the signs are sporadically placed, indeed obscured and hidden in some areas. They are
    unremarkable, not immediately obvious as parking terms and the wording is mostly illegible, being
    crowded and cluttered with a lack of white space as a background. It is indisputable that placing letters
    too close together in order to fit more information into a smaller space can drastically reduce the
    legibility of a sign, especially one which must be read BEFORE the action of parking and leaving the
    car.
    It is vital to observe, since 'adequate notice of the parking charge' is mandatory under the POFA
    Schedule 4 and the BPA Code of Practice, these signs do not clearly mention the parking charge which
    is hidden in small print (and does not feature at all on some of the signs). Areas of this site are
    unsigned and there are no full terms displayed - i.e. with the sum of the parking charge itself in large
    lettering - at the entrance either, so it cannot be assumed that a driver drove past and could read a
    legible sign, nor parked near one.
    This case is more similar to the signage in POPLA decision 5960956830 on 2.6.16, where the Assessor
    Rochelle Merritt found as fact that signs in a similar size font in a busy car park where other unrelated
    signs were far larger, was inadequate:
    ''the signage is not of a good enough size to afford motorists the chance to read and understand the
    terms and conditions before deciding to remain in the car park. [...] In addition the operators signs
    would not be clearly visible from a parking space [...] The appellant has raised other grounds for appeal
    but I have not dealt with these as I have allowed the appeal.''
    From the evidence I have seen so far, the terms appear to be displayed inadequately, in letters no more
    than about half an inch high, approximately. I put the operator to strict proof as to the size of the
    wording on their signs and the size of lettering for the most onerous term, the parking charge itself.
    The letters seem to be no larger than .40 font size going by this guide:
    http://www-archive.mozilla.org/newlayout/testcases/css/sec526pt2.htm
    As further evidence that this is inadequate notice, Letter Height Visibility is discussed here:
    http://www.signazon.com/help-center/sign-letter-height-visibility-chart.aspx
    ''When designing your sign, consider how you will be using it, as well as how far away the readers you
    want to impact will be. For example, if you are placing a sales advertisement inside your retail store,
    your text only needs to be visible to the people in the store. 1-2!!!8221; letters (or smaller) would work just fine.
    However, if you are hanging banners and want drivers on a nearby highway to be able to see them,
    design your letters at 3!!!8221; or even larger.''
    ...and the same chart is reproduced here:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Outdoor-Dimensional-Sign-Letter-Best-Viewing-
    Distance-/10000000175068392/g.html
    ''When designing an outdoor sign for your business keep in mind the readability of the letters. Letters
    always look smaller when mounted high onto an outdoor wall''.
    ''...a guideline for selecting sign letters. Multiply the letter height by 10 and that is the best viewing
    distance in feet. Multiply the best viewing distance by 4 and that is the max viewing distance.''
    So, a letter height of just half an inch, showing the terms and the 'charge' and placed high on a wall or
    pole or buried in far too crowded small print, is woefully inadequate in an outdoor car park. Given that
    letters look smaller when high up on a wall or pole, as the angle renders the words less readable due to
    the perspective and height, you would have to stand right in front of it and still need a stepladder (and
    perhaps a torch and/or magnifying glass) to be able to read the terms.
    Under Lord Denning's Red Hand Rule, the charge (being 'out of all proportion' with expectations of
    drivers in this car park and which is the most onerous of terms) should have been effectively: 'in red
    letters with a red hand pointing to it' - i.e. VERY clear and prominent with the terms in large lettering, as
    was found to be the case in the car park in 'Beavis'. A reasonable interpretation of the 'red hand rule'
    and the 'signage visibility distance' tables above and the BPA Code of Practice, taking all information
    into account, would require a parking charge and the terms to be displayed far more transparently, on a
    lower sign and in far larger lettering, with fewer words and more 'white space' as background contrast.
    Indeed in the Consumer Rights Act 2015 there is a 'Requirement for transparency':
    (1) A trader must ensure that a written term of a consumer contract, or a consumer notice in writing, is
    transparent.
    (2) A consumer notice is transparent for the purposes of subsection (1) if it is expressed in plain and
    intelligible language and it is legible.
    The Beavis case signs not being similar to the signs in this appeal at all, I submit that the persuasive
    case law is in fact 'Vine v London Borough of Waltham Forest [2000] EWCA Civ 106' about a driver not
    seeing the terms and consequently, she was NOT deemed bound by them.
    This judgment is binding case law from the Court of Appeal and supports my argument, not the
    operator's case:
    http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2000/106.html
    This was a victory for the motorist and found that, where terms on a sign are not seen and the area is
    not clearly marked/signed with prominent terms, the driver has not consented to - and cannot have
    'breached' - an unknown contract because there is no contract capable of being established. The driver
    in that case (who had not seen any signs/lines) had NOT entered into a contract. The recorder made a
    clear finding of fact that the plaintiff, Miss Vine, did not see a sign because the area was not clearly
    marked as 'private land' and the signs were obscured/not adjacent to the car and could not have been
    seen and read from a driver's seat before parking.
    So, for this appeal, I put this operator to strict proof of where the car was parked and (from photos taken
    in the same lighting conditions) how their signs appeared on that date, at that time, from the angle of
    the driver's perspective. Equally, I require this operator to show how the entrance signs appear from a
    driver's seat, not stock examples of 'the sign' in isolation/close-up. I submit that full terms simply cannot
    be read from a car before parking and mere 'stock examples' of close-ups of the (alleged) signage
    terms will not be sufficient to disprove this.
    The alleged contravention, according to CP Plus, is in 'Not parked at designed parking space and the
    signage on site is sufficient'. It would however appear that signage at this location do not comply with
    road traffic regulations or their permitted variations and as such are misleading - they are unable to be
    seen by a driver and certainly are not placed at the entrance to the site of the car park between
    Dacatlon and Ikea stores at Giltbrook Shopping Park, where the car was parked. The signage is
    missing all over the whole of this area. The driver was not given the chance to be aware of the risk
    involved at the time of parking or leaving the vehicle and therefore the signage do not comply with the
    BPA code of practice.
    As per section 4 of the BPA code of practice 'Signs must show, in plain and intelligible language, all the
    terms on which an operator may wish to rely. Signs must be placed at the entrance to the site, and
    there must be enough signs placed in other locations throughout the site so that drivers are given the
    chance to be aware of the risk involved at the time of parking or leaving the vehicle.'
    CP Plus are required to show evidence to the contrary.
    2. No evidence of Landowner Authority - the operator is put to strict proof of full compliance with the
    BPA Code of Practice
    As this operator does not have proprietary interest in the land then I require that they produce an
    unredacted copy of the contract with the landowner. The contract and any 'site agreement' or 'User
    Manual' setting out details including exemptions - such as any 'genuine customer' or 'genuine resident'
    exemptions or any site occupier's 'right of veto' charge cancellation rights - is key evidence to define
    what this operator is authorised to do and any circumstances where the landowner/firms on site in fact
    have a right to cancellation of a charge. It cannot be assumed, just because an agent is contracted to
    merely put some signs up and issue Parking Charge Notices, that the agent is also authorised to make
    contracts with all or any category of visiting drivers and/or to enforce the charge in court in their own
    name (legal action regarding land use disputes generally being a matter for a landowner only).
    Witness statements are not sound evidence of the above, often being pre-signed, generic documents
    not even identifying the case in hand or even the site rules. A witness statement might in some cases
    be accepted by POPLA but in this case I suggest it is unlikely to sufficiently evidence the definition of
    the services provided by each party to the agreement.
    Nor would it define vital information such as charging days/times, any exemption clauses, grace periods
    (which I believe may be longer than the bare minimum times set out in the BPA CoP) and basic
    information such as the land boundary and bays where enforcement applies/does not apply. Not
    forgetting evidence of the various restrictions which the landowner has authorised can give rise to a
    charge and of course, how much the landowner authorises this agent to charge (which cannot be
    assumed to be the sum in small print on a sign because template private parking terms and sums have
    been known not to match the actual landowner agreement).
    Paragraph 7 of the BPA CoP defines the mandatory requirements and I put this operator to strict proof
    of full compliance:
    7.2 If the operator wishes to take legal action on any outstanding parking charges, they must ensure
    that they have the written authority of the landowner (or their appointed agent) prior to legal action
    being taken.
    7.3 The written authorisation must also set out:
    a) the definition of the land on which you may operate, so that the boundaries of the land can be clearly
    defined
    b) any conditions or restrictions on parking control and enforcement operations, including any
    restrictions on hours of operation
    c) any conditions or restrictions on the types of vehicles that may, or may not, be subject to parking
    control and enforcement
    d) who has the responsibility for putting up and maintaining signs
    e) the definition of the services provided by each party to the agreement,
    I strongly believe that CP Plus are in breach of the BPA Code of Practice.
    I therefore request that POPLA uphold my appeal and cancel this PCN.

This is exactly what I've sent supporting with many pictures were there is no signage on whole the area where was parked.
    For comments, can I send PoPla PDF to show more pictures with my comments as a contrary to their?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I would not show the picture with the ruler, because in fact it shows readable wording!

Your other picture it much better, and their picture of the car park doesn't show what the signs say, in situ.

Please show us the Notice to Keeper.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 5 February 2018 at 10:21PM
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    I would not show the picture with the ruler, because in fact it shows readable wording!
    Ok I get that, thank you.

Your other picture it much better, and their picture of the car park doesn't show what the signs say, in situ.
    Exactly and in fact this one of them is a disclaimer notice rather than t&c. I have added what is on the board.
    https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320xq90/r/922/bbXfPI.jpg
    The nearest sign is actually across the road 0,1 miles. Is it good to show this picture?
    https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320xq90/r/923/DtBhl0.jpg
    https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320xq90/r/923/DtBhl0.jpg
    Car was parked behind red container
    Please show us the Notice Keeper.
    I will just need to remove the details....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure