Swagbucking into 2018

Comments

• thisone
    thisone Posts: 2,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Having sung the praises of the Vodaphone Smart Mini 7 I'm rather embarrassed to have to give those that have one a warning:

Don't update your operating system. I would also suggest disabling automatic updates in the Playstore settings, although that may not work.

A recent update has meant that I've now got insufficient memory to install apps and am down to clearing the cache by recovery mode in order to install one app at a time. The operating system updates are irreversible, and if allowed could mean that the phone would be able to be used only with what programs the phone came with.

I've already tried to root the phone to remove all the bloatware, but no luck so far.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I got an Alcatel POP4 end of Oct 2016 that was about £50 in Tesco, removed anything I could that wasn't needed and disabled some other things. Added a micro sd card I already had and all the swagbuck apps along with anything that would move went onto it.

In 15 months mobile watch has been worth 33,028 SB (the highest earning thing on there for me), most days I reach the daily goal because of it and that's certainly why I have managed monthly master every month. Then there are the swagos it completes squares for, powerofyou that earned £10 and mobilexpression which earned 500 swagbucks and so far has paid £80 in Amazon Vouchers and continues to earn at £2/week.

Altogether I reckon my £50 outlay has been worth over £350 in 15 months and often that is just letting it run. As and when this one dies I will probably look for something around the same price with a fairly up to date operating system so it can handle app updates for as long as possible - just 20 sb a day are worth £50 a year and anything like the 70 sb a day currently available returns £15 a month so £50 can be returned in just over 3 months without considering any other earning potential.
  • mjm3346
    EngagemeTV played ads ok but each video that followed an ad was muted and had to be unmuted to proceed.

To Do
    Bonuses 1 and 5
  • Could you explain what "power of you" and "mobileexpression" are? Are they apps?
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    thisone wrote: »
    Having sung the praises of the Vodaphone Smart Mini 7

I've already tried to root the phone to remove all the bloatware, but no luck so far.

Have you tried Kingo root? It worked for my kurio phone which has a very limited user control if left unrooted and absolutely no memory expansion.
    You do have to install it on your pc and then use the android sdk thingummy to connect to the phone.
    I put it on so i could have android maid on there which allows clearing of various things.
  • thisone
    culpepper wrote: »
    Have you tried Kingo root? It worked for my kurio phone which has a very limited user control if left unrooted and absolutely no memory expansion.
    You do have to install it on your pc and then use the android sdk thingummy to connect to the phone.
    I put it on so i could have android maid on there which allows clearing of various things.
    Thank you, I've not tried that one. The sdk (adb) hasn't shown my phone as being connected, though it may just be a poor connecter or that I wasn't in recovery mode. I'm using SP Flash to try to install a custom TWRP recovery image but so far I've only got as far as a BROM failure to start error. I have a supposedly stock complete ROM to try, once I've reached today's daily goal!
  • Not a happy bunny today I've completed 2x Gold surveys both for 60SB and neither have credited - have had to raise 2 tickets which I suspect they will find suspicious even though I was careful to make sure my screenshots of the completion page have to time and date stamp included showing they are hours apart and for different URL's.

Not going to waste my time taking any more surveys today if they won't credit.
    Win's so far: Cadburys Mini Eggs £1.09 Pentel Goody Bag £10 , M&S Luxury Hamper £45, 10,000 Tesco clubcard points (£100) :j
  • thisone
    I've also ordered another phone from Amazon in case my rooting attempt fails. A Vodafone Smart Prime 7 in white for £50, sucker for punishment (!). I'll return it unopened if rooting succeeds. Not a great selection of cheap phones at the moment they're either a year or two old, chinese with fake reviews (according to Fakespot) or they're around £150. At that price I'd want it as my main phone/camera, but there's not one I'm keen on.

Maybe memory issues are a hurdle for the latest cheap phones as 8GB and even 16GB can have little room left to install apps with Android 7.0.
  • mjm3346
    edited 22 January 2018 at 4:48PM
    list465 wrote: »
    Could you explain what "power of you" and "mobileexpression" are? Are they apps?

They are both "survey monitoring" type sites, powrofyou I already belonged to (bonus signup from freepostcodelottery) several months after I had been a member it offered £10 for using their mobile app - I cannot remember if it was for 2 or 4 weeks - I haven't run the mobile one since getting paid as this did seem to use a bit of memory and there wasn't an ongoing payment.

Mobilexpressions is an app for mobile, the only reason I downloaded it was because of the 500 swagbucks on offer, getting £20 Amazon for keeping it for a couple of weeks as well as £2 per week for every week since (paid every £20) I am glad I did - this has had no noticeable impact on phone use.

There is an thread on mobilexpressions, note some people who have been doing this a while seem to have started on and are still getting £1 a week

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5042748
  • SergioRam
    SergioRam Posts: 92 Forumite
    edited 22 January 2018 at 4:43PM
    thisone wrote: »
    I've also ordered another phone from Amazon in case my rooting attempt fails. A Vodafone Smart Prime 7 in white for £50, sucker for punishment (!). I'll return it unopened if rooting succeeds. Not a great selection of cheap phones at the moment they're either a year or two old, chinese with fake reviews (according to Fakespot) or they're around £150. At that price I'd want it as my main phone/camera, but there's not one I'm keen on.

Maybe memory issues are a hurdle for the latest cheap phones as 8GB and even 16GB can have little room left to install apps with Android 7.0.

Thanks for your warning re: updates! Is there a way to stop the O/S updating? Did yours ask you first or did it automatically update?

This little phone is the only thing good about SB right now, regularly bringing in 70 each day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure