Second Time Lucky

Options

Comments

• amycool
    amycool Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some of my driving lessons were hit and miss to the extent that a few times we packed it in and went for coffee.

It's weird isn't it? I went for 3 little drives with OH at the weekend and didn't stall once. Still a bit anxious about my next lesson in case it happens again, but I'll try to relax a bit.
    Mortgage (Start Sep 2014)- £70,295/£0 - 100%
    Overpayments - £48829.37 :j:j:j
    Mortgage paid off Jan 2020
  • amycool
    Options
    I'm feeling quite stressed today and got hardly any sleep.

Today I need to sort out the home insurance, which is up for renewal. Last year I got a good deal but the cashback took about 6 months to finally appear. I'm hoping I can get some easier cashback this year, or just a lower quote.

Our yearly line rental is also nearly up, and I've been pondering switching the phone and internet. We got a really good introductory deal about 4 years ago but every year it has gone up. It looks like there are new rules now, which make switching a bit less painful, so I might give another company a go. I know I should try haggling with the company we have, but I'm rubbish at it and it makes me stressed.

I'm also waiting on a phone call, which is the main reason for my stress and my brain has stopped working in the mean time.

I can't find the superglue to fix my earrings.

On the plus side, my strimmer came at the weekend and it's pretty good for £30. The bedding also came and the mattresses should be coming in a few weeks.

We got the sheds sorted out, although I got a nasty scrape on my leg in the process, so the little one is empty and the big one is tidy. We have more stuff to take to the tip now though. I'm not sure we'll be able to rotate the little shed as it barely moved when I tried and the bottom is all rotten. Sigh.

I have put a few pounds back on because I have been eating like a pig. Eating in moderation is not my strong suit.

Is there anything worse than waiting for an important phone call when you have no idea when it might come?
  • Muser1
    Muser1 Posts: 795 Forumite
    Options
    Nothing worse at all! I hope it comes soon and it's good news. x
    Mortgage Jan 13 99260.00 87253 April 2017
    Emergency fund 700.00
  • amycool
    Options
    The call came. :) Have an important meeting to get nervous about in about 3 weeks.

I've just spent over an hour trying to get the best home insurance quote. As always seems to happen, the first one is normally the best, but I wanted to be sure! My renewal quote was £123 but I got the cover for £90, plus £32 cashback! Not sure how good the company are but they cover you for quite a lot. I always do a high excess level as nobody in my family has ever actually claimed on their home insurance in over 30 years. If the house actually fell down, I wouldn't begrudge paying a £500 excess.

I'm knackered now though! :rotfl:

I've been practising for my theory test and I seem to be passing with every mock now, although I'd feel better if I knew all of the answers. Hazard perception I have only done 2 mock tests and passed both, but not by a great margin. My computer loads quite slowly so they're a bit of a pain.

Stalled twice today, which is a vast improvement on last lesson but still frustrating. Roundabouts next. I've done some small ones so hopefully they won't be too bad.

Just realised that OH used the debit card instead of the credit for the shopping - damn! There goes the cashback! It gets a bit complicated now having to think about which card to use for maximum benefit!

We had no phone or internet all day yesterday when OH was working from home, so he's not happy. I might e-mail to see if they will reimburse us for the lost day, although they did fix it quite promptly I suppose.
  • debtfreeoneday
    debtfreeoneday Posts: 4,814 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I assume the phone call was adoption related.. hope that means a potential match might have been identified for you.. how exciting if so.. I bet the days won't go fast enough for you now x
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • amycool
    Options
    I assume the phone call was adoption related.. hope that means a potential match might have been identified for you.. how exciting if so.. I bet the days won't go fast enough for you now x

Thanks dfod - If I had a time machine I would use it. :) I know that potential matches fall through all of the time but I'm not sure how I'll cope if it does. Really really really hope the social workers like us and there are no problems. Ages to wait still!
  • amycool
    Options
    Grrrr...just ordered a camcorder from a famous company and I thought, "Great, there's a delivery slot for tomorrow, when I'll be home". Then I get an e-mail to say it will be delivered on Tuesday, when we'll both be at work! Very frustrating but I'll wait and see what happens tomorrow. Quite a big purchase but thinking positively, if we're going to be parents we'd like to record some of the nice moments. My normal camera is on its way out too.

It's becoming an expensive month.

Did some driving practise this morning when it was dead on the roads. Used a car park for bay parking and then heard that they will likely fine us as we didn't pay and display. Hoping that doesn't happen.
  • debtfreeoneday
    debtfreeoneday Posts: 4,814 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How frustrating with the camcorder.. I video and take sooo many pics, it's unreal!

Glad to hear the driving practice is going well

A few more days wait down.. x
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • amycool
    Options
    No apology but they're now delivering on Saturday, which I had hoped to spend with my family...breathe...

OH did some surprise kondoing at the weekend. I had totally stopped but suddenly the bedroom was being cleared of the undecideds and he even threw out all of his old drawings. He said the process of drawing gives him joy, so why hold onto pictures that he'll only criticise? So that's another cupboard emptied and the storage unit is no longer overflowing.

We've also contacted a place that collects old computers as we have loads. Unfortunately they could have come tomorrow but we're both working. Darn.

We got the shed turned around to its new position so at the weekend I'm going to give it a Hoover and maybe touch up the paint and then we can put my bike and the folding chairs in there. Eventually I want the conservatory to look close to tidy. Optimistic.

OH has also framed one of our many postcards, which our best friends send to us. I quite like the idea of getting loads of A6 frames and having a wall of interesting postcards.

He also cleared one of the "drawers of doom". He's a good boy.

I've been doing more theory test practise. I'm getting 100% on the questions most of the time now but still getting occasionally stumped by the percentage and number ones. Hoping I'll be okay with hazard perception. I mustn' t waste the £25 + bus fare.
  • Firegirl
    Firegirl Posts: 926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You've been busy!!!! Well done on the computers. Hopefully that'll make you a bob or two!
    Mortgage balance Feb 2015 start of MFW Journey-£245316.06/Aim to be mortgage neutral 2022 — Target for May 2024 14 Year Target Balance MF50 = £89,535 — Mortgage Balance £106, 000—Target for May 2024! £89,535

Retirement Planning
    Starting Position : Pension 1-£165,000/Pension 2-£50,000/Pension 3-£9,500/ISA-£87,000/Total-£311,500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure